• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Top DIY Fails?

always89y

Vendor Rep
SH Member
If you DIY, you have failed, at one point or another. Heres my most recent. I'm gonna call it a failure in progress cause I dont see this panning out. Will push forward to ultimate failure cause I ain't no quiter!

I give you the chassis for the Stitchless Amsteel Saddle!

Is it comfy? Nope. Is it practical, heck no! Is it stitchless, well, ya that part worked out.

Still gotta figure out how to weave the zingit for seamless mesh.

Kinda wraptor-ish in design.
901661b7c1889bc5716f457c9b8d2c08.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

My first attempt at an AmSteel daisy chain is documented on here. I won’t relive it by posting a link. I did keep at it though and by my 4th one I felt pretty good making them. I ended up doing one for a DIY ridge line for my hammock, that I can hang stuff on.

Wasn’t it Edison who said something like it’s not a failure, you just discovered a way not to do it???

I'd post my first attempt at a DIY Platform, loosely based off of the tree-suit, but I might be banned from the site it was so bad. I eventually was able to create something that kinda looks like a platform and that is functional, but is awkward to pack, heavier than it should have been had I put more thought into the design, and bless my poor little heart is that thing ugly as all get out. But hey, I tried. Just picked up a ROS off the classifieds to use in conjunction with my top wild edge step.

Next project is a DIY hammock underquilt, those things are STUPID expensive.

None of mine are actual fails....like they didn't break....but fails in the sense I ended up not liking it and now just sits not used

I just prefer a different style of platform....
20200610_185656.jpg

Made the stick stand offs to close together so the sticks will kinda stick together and clang when u pull they apart
20200610_185714.jpg

Tubing squirrel steps with rubber riveted on to keep them from clanging.....they pull off the tree further than I'd like and i wasnt a fan....
20200610_185726.jpg

None of mine are actual fails....like they didn't break....but fails in the sense I ended up not liking it and now just sits not used

I just prefer a different style of platform....
View attachment 29011

Made the stick stand offs to close together so the sticks will kinda stick together and clang when u pull they apart
View attachment 29012

Tubing squirrel steps with rubber riveted on to keep them from clanging.....they pull off the tree further than I'd like and i wasnt a fan....
View attachment 29013
These were the days when you still believed metal could save the world. Until you got so fixated on "no metal ever" :cry:

I recently completed an entire DIY phantom clone including lineman's loops etc, only to realize that I had a full 360 twist in one of the bridge loops.... time to get out the seam ripper I guess (I am empty inside)

Last edited:
Not sure if it is a true failure but if you dig up the several year old thread where @DanO created his ring of steps, I made some ring of steps out of high strength plastic. I used them for a year and they worked but were a bit cumbersome. I bought and a set of @DanO’s and that is when I realized mine were a DIY fail! Man his ring of steps don’t budge and pack so nice. Night and day difference!

I made a diy saddle out of some fleece, while waiting for my saddle to ship. I was showing my dad the idea of saddle hunting, I tied in and hooked my bridge to my tether just above ground level but I didn't realize the knot holding the bridge into the fleece had come slightly loose. I fell about 2 feet, hard, right onto my tailbone, and bruised my ego.

I recently made a ultralight top quilt for hammock and camping. It really turned out well.

The issue that happened is I decided to use a permanent marker for making the square pattern. I had it laid out on the tile floor but didn't have enough room so I moved it to the basement concrete. I'm glad I did as the marker bled through the ultralight fabric. I now have the pattern permanently on the basement floor. Luckily the house just sold so it isn't on the new house's floor.

dc9a1a88a0338c8701f85880ae2a576d.jpg
e44c130282b5fabd4609c120313cb0c9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I made a diy saddle out of some fleece, while waiting for my saddle to ship. I was showing my dad the idea of saddle hunting, I tied in and hooked my bridge to my tether just above ground level but I didn't realize the knot holding the bridge into the fleece had come slightly loose. I fell about 2 feet, hard, right onto my tailbone, and bruised my ego.
Same thing happened to me hanging from my pullup bar inside. I caught myself with my legs and did not hit my tailbone. I had been hanging 15 feet up a tree a few days before with it and a RCH. I never went back to that. I would have to tie and sew to feel confident in it. Having two devices to manage was a drag.

Same thing happened to me hanging from my pullup bar inside. I caught myself with my legs and did not hit my tailbone. I had been hanging 15 feet up a tree a few days before with it and a RCH. I never went back to that. I would have to tie and sew to feel confident in it. Having two devices to manage was a drag.
yea i had hunted from it and a rch 2 nights previous to this happening, I never used it again, i just waited for my real saddle to come.

That’s why you’re Jay_Disarray and not Jay_SquaredAway
i got the nickname from a homeless punker buddy of mine bout 15yrs ago. We were talking about punk music, but i surprised him with my knowledge of the different bands and stuff, my military haircut hid my inner punk. He said that im not full anarchy, just kinda disarray, and it stuck for some dumb reason, he called me that ever since

Back