• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Trad Bow hunter charged by bear....scary video....

what's the laws like as far as carrying a handgun during bow season in canada? i know the more free states in the USA often don't have an issue with it.

There are so many black bear where I hunt and fish. I have always successfully scared them away or just observed unnoticed. The only time I’m actually scared is when I don’t see them, but I’m walking in the pitch black with a tiny flashlight and moving stealthy. I m afraid one day I’ll walk right up on a momma or giant male. Wish we could carry here in NJ.

There are so many black bear where I hunt and fish. I have always successfully scared them away or just observed unnoticed. The only time I’m actually scared is when I don’t see them, but I’m walking in the pitch black with a tiny flashlight and moving stealthy. I m afraid one day I’ll walk right up on a momma or giant male. Wish we could carry here in NJ.

and when hunting, you are doing the exact wrong thing for bear country....you are sneaking around off trail in thick stuff and trying not to make any noise.....i'm surprised i haven't had more run ins with black bears

That's an older video..... Here in Florida we just beat them with bare hands....bear was lucky Florida man was older or it might not have escaped

then there's the video of a florida guy jumping in the water to save his dog from a gator....y'all are brave

I'm always carrying too during the bow season. A few years ago, but not all that long ago (I was still hunting from a climber), I walked right up on big black bear walking in for an evening hunt. There was 4-6" of snow on the ground and we were both moving pretty quietly. I had just passed through a thicket of beech scrub when I noticed him about 15 yds to my 10 o'clock.

I think we saw each other at almost exactly the same time. He started slowly walking quartering away headed to my right. As he was walking away I was fishing into my bibs to try to retrieve my phone from my inside pants pocket to get some pictures. He was walking away at a normal pace through he open hardwoods but about every 10 yds he'd stop and look back. All this while my right hand was still buried down through my layers and into my bibs trying to work my phone loose.

After he stopped for the third time it occurred to me that I might be digging into the wrong pocket (the pistol was in the turkey vest pocket). At that point I was hoping he wasn't considering one last hot meal before denning up for the winter. He took one last look and ended up trotting off. In hindsight I think its possible he wasn't entirely sure what I was as the climber increased my silhouette around my head considerably.

That's just one of a dozen or so close calls (inside 50yds) I've had with bears over the years. To date they've all ultimately gone the other direction but you just never know.

Last edited:
I walked up on 2 little bears and 1 big bear in the dark 1 morning....I had no idea they were there and was inside 20yds when the palmettos started popping and chuff chuff chuff.... They ran away before I even really comprehended what had just happened. I found thier beds when the sun came up... We were close and I'm glad momma didn't want to get frisky. I had an encounter this year....30yds in the day light and it jumped up and high tailed it slinging poo as it ran

what's the laws like as far as carrying a handgun during bow season in canada? i know the more free states in the USA often don't have an issue with it.
At what point would you have had time to draw your gun? People don't realize how fast they are. I spent 5 summers in Kodiak, AK as a fly fishing guide. I carried a gun ONE day for bear protection. If they decide to charge, you don't have time to draw. If you have time to draw, they weren't really charging you and there was no reason to draw.

At what point would you have had time to draw your gun? People don't realize how fast they are. I spent 5 summers in Kodiak, AK as a fly fishing guide. I carried a gun ONE day for bear protection. If they decide to charge, you don't have time to draw. If you have time to draw, they weren't really charging you and there was no reason to draw.

a lot of people have successfully defended themselves

and you can still shoot while a black bear is eating your foot

I beg to defer. A lot of false charging bear have been shot. If that bear was trying to kill that guy, his head would have been removed from his body on the first swipe.

He walked away without a scratch, that was essentially a false charge. I have first hand accounts and knowledge of the destruction of those bears. Anytime you are that close to a bear in the wild, remember you are still alive because he let you live.

He walked away without a scratch, that was essentially a false charge. I have first hand accounts and knowledge of the destruction of those bears. Anytime you are that close to a bear in the wild, remember you are still alive because he let you live.

well, the fact that people survive bear attacks sometimes works against that, but i suppose you can just say 'well, then they really didn't want to kill them then' (unfalsifiable hypothesis)

also, if you take the stance that 'every time someone successfully defended themselves against bear with a handgun, then it must have been a false charge'....then you've created a hypothesis that can't be disproved and covers all cases (that isn't a good thing)

there's tons of examples where people used a handgun on a bear and then report that it helped them survive, but i guess you're right.....every single one just might be a false charge and the person would have survived without the weapon....albeit i'd put the odds of that at like 0.01%

Back