• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Traditional Bowhunters

Longbow73

I’m new to this website. Just curious how many traditional bowhunters are out there and where from. Plus do u make your bows, arrows and such. Myself, I’ve been hunting with traditional equipment since the early 90s. Started making my own arrows, quivers and been building bows on and off for 19 years.

North Carolina...Got into trad in '95 and hunted with it exclusively for almost 20 years...Shoulder issues have me shooting a compound right now due to having to severely limit the amount of arrows I shoot each week - but I hope to be back shooting trad in the near future...Have made arrows, quivers - at one time made my own tabs....Killed many whitetails, 3 hogs and 1 gobbler with trad bows...

Trad only for a few years now started on the ground then found the saddle works excellent for trad shooting IMO! Still the challenge of shooting traditionally makes it special to me somehow, not saying any other way is any less special to others just how I feel! And I am from coastal NC!

Longbow, self bows and recurves. I’ve been hunting primarily with Hill Style for the last 6 years. Make my own Douglas Fir arrows. I’m here in N. Georgia.

Last edited:
I’m new to this website. Just curious how many traditional bowhunters are out there and where from. Plus do u make your bows, arrows and such. Myself, I’ve been hunting with traditional equipment since the early 90s. Started making my own arrows, quivers and been building bows on and off for 19 years.
Where are you from?

I’m from Michigan. Glad to see fellow traditional hunters out there. So far this saddle hunter community reminds me of the traditional community. Willing to share and help others out. Glad I found this website.

This is my first fall saddle hunting. My second fall hunting traditional. I made a rawhide backed Osage with the help of a friend. Now I'm making my own strings, quivers, tabs, armguards and arrows. It sure is addicting! I am from west Michigan but I am currently living in Upstate South Carolina.

This is my first fall saddle hunting. My second fall hunting traditional. I made a rawhide backed Osage with the help of a friend. Now I'm making my own strings, quivers, tabs, armguards and arrows. It sure is addicting! I am from west Michigan but I am currently living in Upstate South Carolina.
I'm originally from Kalamazoo, Marine Corps brought me to NC and I ended up staying...

I'm originally from Kalamazoo, Marine Corps brought me to NC and I ended up staying...

Hunting sure is different down here. In some ways I like it better, in other ways I miss Michigan. I'm hoping to head back north after I finish graduate school in two years. I love ice fishing and I cant imagine the rest of my life without it. lol I bought a lifetime license down here so I'm sure Ill be back for some hog and deer hunts.

I am from Pennsylvania...This will be my first season using my recurve. I have not gone full trad yet but i have set a goal to harvest a deer this year and notice i said yet. I shoot everyday and it has brought the fun back into shooting a bow for me! Eventually, i would like to make my own stuff and experience that satisfaction! Best of luck to you

I am from Pennsylvania...This will be my first season using my recurve. I have not gone full trad yet but i have set a goal to harvest a deer this year and notice i said yet. I shoot everyday and it has brought the fun back into shooting a bow for me! Eventually, i would like to make my own stuff and experience that satisfaction! Best of luck to you
I practice every day also. It lets me get in the groove of shooting from an elevated position and using my climbing system and setting my platform every day.
As far as making your own stuff I don’t see it getting much more rewarding than making your own bow,arrows, even points and harvesting “any” deer with it.

This is my first year traditional made 2 bows make my arrows quivers n stuff didn't make my heads though I'm in Lancaster pa

Back