• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Trail Cameras

I like the brownings myself. I have 6. I have noticed that some are starting to glitch though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our Brownings work great until the battery hits 50%, then we stop getting nighttime videos (we only do vids). Bushnells, Stealth Cams have been spotty. Wild Game have been junk.

We are going back to Cuddebacks. I put one on a tree 2 seasons ago on Oct 1 in picture mode and then forgot all about it during the season. The following July, I went past it with a DR mower doing cleanup on trails. I pulled the camera and it was still working and the last pic was of me mowing! Over 8000 pics on the card and the only negative was the batteries started leaking and corroded some of the terminals. Hard to beat that experience.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I have a Browning dark ops. I had it out in the woods for 16 months and the plastic housing broke where the hinge is connecting the bracket to hang the cam. I really liked it but knew this was going to happen. I really like my Exodus Lift camera. I think I will get another one in a few years. I also have 2 Bushnell cams that are ok. Picture/video quality isn't as good as the Browning or Exodus.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Exodus Trail cameras, 5 year warranty and great customer service they are having a sale right now use code lift40, for $40 off the Lift 2.

Browning has always been good to me as well. Have some that are 5 yrs old and still work. Wish they would make a cellular cameras!

I’ve had great luck with the mid range Covert cameras. You can find MP8’s around $100 and they have a few other models that are a little more.

For public land, I will run nothing but black flash cameras so they don’t get found as easily by humans
And, I use only Browning Dark Ops.... period.
I have had zero issues with them in the field. They take great pictures for the price, too.

The $ is hard to swallow, but I’m building a cuddelink network.

Cuddelink just seems to have WAY too many problems right now for me to consider them. And, they are leaning heavily on 20 year old tech... literally 80% of their hardware could have been found on the market in the 90’s. most of their units run on D cell batteries as well.... D cell !!!

The idea is genius, I think I will just wait for the RF mesh network idea to mature some more before I jump on the bandwagon.

When will someone finally come out with a trail camera that runs on rechargeable 18650 cells? That would bring the overall operating cost of running a camera WAY down if you could have a rechargeable option with good power.

That cuddyback link is the way of the future. Can’t wait until more cameras pick it up and cheaper options are available.
As for as batteries, energizer lithium’s are all I use in my moultries and Browning’s. I get almost a year of battery life out of them. My moultrie 880s have been out for around 5 years. They stay out and are my work horses. Wish they still made them. I also have 2 spypoint cameras that have the built in solar panel. Even in the shade I never have to replace batteries in them. Still at 100% after a year out. Wish their flash was brighter/wider.
I try to stay away from cameras with a view finder screen. That’s usually the weak link.

Cuddelink just seems to have WAY too many problems right now for me to consider them. And, they are leaning heavily on 20 year old tech... literally 80% of their hardware could have been found on the market in the 90’s. most of their units run on D cell batteries as well.... D cell !!!

The idea is genius, I think I will just wait for the RF mesh network idea to mature some more before I jump on the bandwagon.

When will someone finally come out with a trail camera that runs on rechargeable 18650 cells? That would bring the overall operating cost of running a camera WAY down if you could have a rechargeable option with good power.

Why isn't everything in life 18650?!?!?! I have a headlamp and cellphone charger that use them, amazing how long they last.

Go to trailcampro.com and check out their reviews. I assume the reviews are as unbiased as any reviews available.
They extensively test and score cams on several different characteristics so you can choose the cams that best suit your needs. Not everyone is looking for the same features or performance. Choose what works best for you.
They sell cams too, and offer decent deals and a 2 year warranty.
Even if you don't buy from TCP, it's still a good place to start your research. Anecdotal opinions on cams are okay, but I'd rather form my decisions based on reviews made by someone that is in the business of testing.

FWIW, I like my Browning Strike Force that I got from TCP. Decent cams, decent price. I guess they aren't taking pics with the same quality of Reconix but they don't cost an arm and a leg either.
One of my Brownings leaked-in water this year. I opened the case and water actually ran out of it. It was on an out of state hunt and I was really disappointed thinking that the cam probably now had zero pics saved. I assumed the cam was probably trash and I doubted the cam continued to take pics, or store them if it even was still triggering. I was wrong! It still continued to work well. Even so, I contacted Trailcampro and they sent out a new camera, and I got it in less than a week.
I'm thoroughly pleased with TCP.

Why isn't everything in life 18650?!?!?! I have a headlamp and cellphone charger that use them, amazing how long they last.

And, if you pony up for the higher quality cells, you can easily get 3,000+ charge cycles before they need to be replaced. That is insane

18650 explode in your eye. Other than that they are awesome hahaha

18650 explode in your eye. Other than that they are awesome hahaha

That is very rare. You have to damage the cell causing a short, or grossly mishandle the charging cycle to make that happen.
I don’t see trail cameras getting crushed so badly that the electrical contacts short on the tube is the case....

I ordered a nitcore headlamp and a 2 pack of 18650 batteries that came in separate package from amazon $70. I got them and as soon as I opened the batteries, it started to get hot. I burned my hand before I knew what was happening and almost burned my house down. I got the lamp for free from amazon after a call haha. A coworker of mine uses them in his vapor thing and one day, another employee said hey man, you’re on fire. His pocket was smokin. He was able to pull it out with a few hand burns and we burried it. Fast forward a few months. As I was walking in to hunt with my nitecore head lamp, I felt my forehead get hot. Had to chuck the lamp and it got scorched inside. Thankfully it was morning so I waited until sunup to keep hikin in. There is a reason you cant put them under a plane as well. Soon, I cant imagine you can even have them on a plane. Very high lumen output though for a headlamp.

Back