• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tree Damage from Bolts/Screw-in Steps?

TNbowhunter

SH Member
Do we have any arborists here who could comment on the risks/damage potential of using bolts versus screw-in steps versus climbing sticks? I'm very interested in drilling a bunch of pre-sets this offseason, but want to be sure I understand the risks to tree health before doing so. Are there better or worse ways of doing things for the tree? For example, does it make a difference whether you drill holes for bolts but leave them empty except when using that tree compared to using steps that stay in the tree and keep the holes filled?

Thanks in advance for any insights you can share!

Good that you are concerned about this. I would be surprised if there is an answer that is backed by anything scientific. Everyone has an anecdotal story. I have drilled trees for bolts and used screw in steps for over 30 years. Literally hundreds of trees on private land that I hunt year after year. As far as I can tell, exactly one of those trees has died. I had a friend who is a tree surgeon climb a red oak with spurs one time to cut some limbs. That tree was dead within a year. My theory is that his spurs are often in trees that are sick and his gaffs were a vector for disease. Since then, I have tried to clean my Treehopper drill bit when I think about it. However, I’m trying to only drill healthy trees. Do the holes allow easy access for things that will harm the tree? Probably.

Anyway, my conclusion has been to use bolts because they are easy and solid. If a tree dies, it just opens up more light to reach the forest floor and grow more food for the critters.

It’s the circle of life. And me and my bow form the triangle of death.

Yes... that is an entrance point for organisms and decay to occur especially when drilling into cambium layer or deeper.

They girdle trees around here to kill them which is just two rings around through the bark.

But I am no arborist...

A 3/8” hole and a girdle are two ENTIRELY different things.

I have only been using bolts for 3 or 4 years, but I haven’t had a tree die yet. In fact... You wouldn’t be able to find my drill holes from last year on most of the trees I drilled even if I told you exactly which tree to look at. I drilled them myself, and I often times have to search to find them if they have gone a year without opening back up.

................................................................................All climbing methods, platforms, saddle designs, and/or use of materials possibly mentioned in the post above are not peer reviewed for safety, and should only be used as an example of my own method. Do your own research and testing before becoming confident in any DIY solution to support your life.
-IkemanTx

In my unscientific opinion, based on over three decades of using drill & bolts, I have drilled several hundreds of holes on countless trees with no ill effect. I even inadvertently left some bolts in an oak in my backyard till there was only an inch or two showing. I removed those with a ratchet and the tree is fine years later. I personally have seen no adverse effects on any tree I drilled, only slight scarring where the holes healed over.

I’m sure there might be an occasion where a tree could indeed become diseased or even die, but I have not, nor my several friends who drilled many trees also, ever witnessed this.

In my unscientific opinion, based on over three decades of using drill & bolts, I have drilled several hundreds of holes on countless trees with no ill effect. I even inadvertently left some bolts in an oak in my backyard till there was only an inch or two showing. I removed those with a ratchet and the tree is fine years later. I personally have seen no adverse effects on any tree I drilled, only slight scarring where the holes healed over.

I’m sure there might be an occasion where a tree could indeed become diseased or even die, but I have not, nor my several friends who drilled many trees also, ever witnessed this.
I agree 100%. However, where things go sideways is when bolts or steps are left in the trees. That may not kill the tree but could kill some poor unsuspecting soul processing the timber down the road. It will also kill the value of the timber for the land owner.

I agree 100%. However, where things go sideways is when bolts or steps are left in the trees. That may not kill the tree but could kill some poor unsuspecting soul processing the timber down the road. It will also kill the value of the timber for the land owner.

Yep, that is a great point. I left some steps in a tree about 20 years ago (just forgot that I had them in that tree). I can’t get them out now and I worry that decades later someone might get hurt. I really, really try to remember to remove everything from every tree at the end of the season.

Chiming in as an arborist...

It is best (for the tree) when bolts or screw in steps are placed to leave them in place. The tree will eventually grow around the hardware effectively sealing off the injury (if the tree is healthy). Every time the tree is re-injured (step/bolt removal, re-drilling, re-screwing, etc.) the tree expends energy to re-seal the injury (or seal new injury) and thus has less energy for other efforts including fending off disease. If enough injury sites encircle the trunk in one location it can greatly reduce vascular flow (think girdling) and potentially weaken the tree due to rot (fungal invasion).

Note - bolting and cabling of trees is standard arboricultural practice where such efforts can help to minimize trees from splitting or having major limb tear out.

As for wearing spurs to prune trees - this is no longer an accepted practice as it does indeed damage trees and can introduce disease that may kill a tree. Not only is the gaff a vector for disease - but so are the holes left behind.

Climbing sticks are not completely benign either. If the bark is damaged and cambium is exposed the tree needs to expend energy to seal the wound before pathogens become an issue.

Depending on the type of land you hunt (public vs private) perhaps a dual strategy may work - climbing sticks down low and permanent screw-ins higher up (out of line of sight) may work.

Chiming in as an arborist...

It is best (for the tree) when bolts or screw in steps are placed to leave them in place. The tree will eventually grow around the hardware effectively sealing off the injury (if the tree is healthy). Every time the tree is re-injured (step/bolt removal, re-drilling, re-screwing, etc.) the tree expends energy to re-seal the injury (or seal new injury) and thus has less energy for other efforts including fending off disease. If enough injury sites encircle the trunk in one location it can greatly reduce vascular flow (think girdling) and potentially weaken the tree due to rot (fungal invasion).

Note - bolting and cabling of trees is standard arboricultural practice where such efforts can help to minimize trees from splitting or having major limb tear out.

As for wearing spurs to prune trees - this is no longer an accepted practice as it does indeed damage trees and can introduce disease that may kill a tree. Not only is the gaff a vector for disease - but so are the holes left behind.

Climbing sticks are not completely benign either. If the bark is damaged and cambium is exposed the tree needs to expend energy to seal the wound before pathogens become an issue.

Depending on the type of land you hunt (public vs private) perhaps a dual strategy may work - climbing sticks down low and permanent screw-ins higher up (out of line of sight) may work.
Great first post! Thank you for helping to educate us. :)

I think of drilling to be about as dangerous as the flu...
So long as there are no underlying health issues, it gets over it pretty dang quick.

I'm just waiting on someone to say that when you drill one tree, the others around it use less water and nutrients to allow it to heal like the Avatar movie! It is a renewable resource... Drill on!

Back