• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tree ID?

Black Titan

Any of you arborists know what kind of tree this is?

We plan to have it cut down as it's starting to lean over the rear corner of our house. If it's a wood I can use on my offset smoker I'll ask the guy to not haul it off so I can season it and split it up to cook with.

1000003775.jpg

1000003777.jpg

1000003779.jpg

BT

"Picture This" says its an elm by the bark and the leaves. It pulled up elm both times.

I tried a Google image search and came up with Oak, White Oak, Post Oak, Swamp Chestnut, and when I did the leaves it said something about a birch hornbeam or something of the sort.

BT

Winged Elm - Provided to me by the Seek app (free).

I've walked around my neighborhood scanning all kinds of whatnot, pretty easy to use and it's been very accurate, though like anything it's not always 100%.

Seek is by iNaturalist.

iNaturalist: "Students at the University of California at Berkeley founded iNaturalist in 2008. It was a master's thesis project. Since 2014, the California Academy of Sciences and the National Geographic Society have run iNaturalist together"

To me, the shape of the tree does not look like an elm, at least not the ones we have around here. They're usually more fan shaped, like this:
1714356131085.png

Back