• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tree strap- Rope or Webbing

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
So Boswell asked this in the tree strap thread but I think it might get more attention in it's own thread.

Boudreaux said:
So do you guys prefer webbing or rope tree straps and why?
What about bridges?
Linemans belt?
Why do you think one is better than the other?

Thanks,
Boswell

Personally I like the webbing strap better. I can pack it up easier and more compact and I like the hardware design. My custom strap is smaller and lighter than the trophyline strap. I did find that while trying to climb with the lone wolf hand climber seat it was easier slide the rope strap up the tree as I moved so I will be using that for that.

I guess I'm in the minority but lets here what you prefer!

I prefer the rope strap with a ascender on it. I also also use a Crawford midget T screw at head height it holds the rope up and gives me grab to stand up. My bridge is a strap 20 " long with a carabiner on one side. Lineman's belt is also a rope tied on the right side and stuffed in a mag. Pouch hanging under it. It also has an ascender and carabiner on the end for quick connect and adjustment on left side.
I have a tree saddle, evolution and a Guido but use the Guido almost exclusively because of the comfort. I find it to be just as easy to shoot out of. The main thing I do different is I hook my bridge up lower in the lineman D loops which really opens it up for the shot. It also makes it a lot easier to hook up the lineman's belt when I'm climbing.

For the tree strap, I prefer the rope and prussic/blakes hitch. I also prefer that the rope is terminated with another figure 8 rather than a stopper knot with the terminal figure 8 hooked into the bridge/tree strap carabiner. This provides an additional level of safety in the event of cord failure and minimizes the tag flopping in the wind.

For the bridge, I prefer the rope. To me, it feels much easier to pivot with the rope bridge.

For the lineman's belt, I prefer any quiet option. The conventional strap lineman's belt is a bit loud in my opinion. For this reason, I'm generally using a lone wolf strap or a rope and prussic system.

I'm doing what BassBoys is doing...

I have a Fig 8 knot in the tail of my strap that is clipped to the carabiner as a backup.
I like that I can make a another strap in a couple of minutes from easily accessible materials.
I trust climbing gear and don't have to get 'too creative'.

I have a short 'one wrap' length tree strap.
I don't find it to be heavy or bulky.
I DON'T like how slippery it is on the tree when not loaded.
I DO like that it doesn't get frayed/abraided from being used.
I am using 11mm Static Rappelling rope and 9mm prusik line.

I also like that my Linesman's belt can be moved over and used as a Strap or Lanyard when needed.
I have attached it to branches as a safety when I had to do a complex climb getting past splits or large branches.

57410c26ec2f1128dae0e1fadc4b5e30.jpg
33de0228a5c3fe765bb6c882994dfaf6.jpg

This is my set up on my learning tree. The rapid rail works well with the one stick climbing method so I use the rope. I find the rope quiet and easy to use for climbing and descending. I still carry a lineman's belt for crossing branches. I may switch to the rope man ascending aid as the Prussic knot can be temperamental.
I can also use the top of the rapid rail as part of my platform so the remaining steps I have on a strap can be spaced a little closer. I do tether the rapid rail to me for the climb, it has to be released to move it up as I climb.
So far it has been quick and easy and packs well for transport.
I do like the idea of using a screw in step as a handle to pull up on as well as a stop if the rope loosens.
I haven't used a screw in yet and only plan on having the one. Will I need a tool for the job?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fawnzy said:
I haven't used a screw in yet and only plan on having the one. Will I need a tool for the job?

Look at the cranford ez folding step. If you use that you will definitely not need a tool. The regular steps can be put in without a tool but the EZ step is... well.. easy.

I do the one wrap for the tree strap too. Works fine. A tree step, bow hanger, or a simple cinch minimizes any slipping.

BassBoysLLP said:
I do the one wrap for the tree strap too. Works fine. A tree step, bow hanger, or a simple cinch minimizes any slipping.

I do this for all my presets. I do double wraps during mobile hunts.

Thanks guys. Much appreciated.

Here are my thoughts,
I like webbing in that it is light and very packable. I hate webbing in that it twist and it doesn't seem as smooth thought the carabiner.
I like rope in that I don't worry about twist, passes thought the carabiner easily. Bulk doesn't bother me as I don't use bags, just daisy chained to the side of my saddle. Weight doesn't bother me as 3/4 mile walk is the longest walk I would ever have.

So I go with rope.

Thanks,
Boswell

Not to get too off topic...but can you guys tell me how long your tree strap rope is and how long of an accessory cord I need to tie the prussic hitch? Much appreciated! Going to make the rope strap and prussic myself.

A lot is personal preference, but I'd start with 16' of rope and 3' of cord.

Depends if you want to be able to do a double wrap around trees.
Mine uses 10' and I only wrap once unless it is a really small tree.

Have you read the threads about ways to keep your rope from slipping down the tree when it is unweighted?

10' cuts it a little close in my honest opinion. By the time you tie two figure 8s you are left with about a 6 foot line. I'd rather be a touch longer so I don't limit myself to tiny trees.

BassBoysLLP said:
10' cuts it a little close in my honest opinion. By the time you tie two figure 8s you are left with about a 6 foot line. I'd rather be a touch longer so I don't limit myself to tiny trees.

Dang....I just ordered 10'. Wishing I would've went with 12' now.

Figure 8 is relatively easy to untie in the field, even after being loaded. You could always update to a stopper if you needed more inches.

My strap with the knots in it is slightly longer than 6'.
Small loop Fig8 in the Tail end, larger loop (big enough to easily feed the small knot/blake's hitch through).

I've set up on lots of trees that were in the 16" Diameter (about 50" circumference) and was fine.
Most of the trees I am on are in the 13"-15" range.
I generally have a foot or two of extra line between my Carabiner and Blake's Hitch.
You wouldn't want to have 6 feet of 'backup' hanging down.
That's a long fall :)

If I had the longer version that NewTribe sells, I would do a double-wrap.
But then you would be carrying more weight and bulk.

Hi Red
I think I've seen it before but can you post another picture of your custom tree strap.
e554431ae32cc3d5308b59d824686725.jpg

I would like to shorten this part of my strap. You may have done this already. Wanted to see your hardware.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back