• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Treehopper Drill and bolts

Nugget

I purchased my first drill and bolts set from Treehopper at the Harrisburg show last Saturday. Needless to say, my climbing sticks will soon be in the classifieds. This little gem is the bomb. I slid up the tree with little to no effort. 10 holes no problem! The drill is sharp and takes no effort to use and the bolts are surprisingly easy to stand on. If your looking for a new climbing method this is the one. Thanks nutterbuster for peeking my interest and spending more of my money. Anyone interested in a set of Hawk Heliems or API Hunt'n sticks?

Bolts are awesome! I wish I could use them everywhere I hunted. They are slightly more labor intensive to install (the first time) than sticks but then again, they are much lighter and easier to carry than sticks. They are FAR quicker and easier than sticks on the way down the tree and subsequent hunts. No aiders, no kick outs, no 5-10 minute pack up in the dark like sticks. Plus they are hella cheap compared to sticks. A big win-win in areas they are permitted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I purchased my first drill and bolts set from Treehopper at the Harrisburg show last Saturday. Needless to say, my climbing sticks will soon be in the classifieds. This little gem is the bomb. I slid up the tree with little to no effort. 10 holes no problem! The drill is sharp and takes no effort to use and the bolts are surprisingly easy to stand on. If your looking for a new climbing method this is the one. Thanks nutterbuster for peeking my interest and spending more of my money. Anyone interested in a set of Hawk Heliems or API Hunt'n sticks?

I’m in on hawk heliums

Couldn't agree more! plan on using them mostly on trees that I hunt more than once like pinch points. Sticks to me are the fastest to just go in and do an observation sit or in areas that don't allow penetrating the tree. I purchased my bolt setup this year and for the weight, ease of use and quietness its hard to beat really the only downfall is the drilling motion. Nothing like coming down the tree in the dark grabbing your bow and on your way.

Did you get the folding handle?

I wish I could use bolts everywhere. Second choice is one sticking everywhere except at home I use bolts. I am going to try SRT presets on public next year. Quiet fast and as good as bolts and legal .
Bolts at home only . Bolts Are a great and economical way to hunt

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Wait until you try prepping a tree with a cordless drill. It was so quick and easy it got addictive. Is there such a thing as prepping too many trees? Asking for a friend. And don't forget the ROB.

Sent from up in a tree

You will be able to prep trees that were almost impossible before.
I once snapped off a screw-in lag on an osage tree. Those things are harder than Chinese algebra. My Treehopper drills osage like butter.

Drills can open up lots of new possibilities for stands. Everyone knows that deer travel edges and cover seams. There are areas where 90% of the edge trees are osage (We have Iowa properties like that) and its demoralizing to think I gotta try to screw a step into a tree hard as iron. I don't think twice with a drill.

Just be careful when drilling the bottom few holes. There are lots of edge trees that have old fence embedded inside. The existing fence is long fallen and disappeared, but INSIDE the tree is metal that can damage or break the feed screw on a drill bit. If you break the feed screw, you are dead in the water.

Thanks for the advice. What are you using to hold your bolts and do you have a preferred type?

Thanks for the advice. What are you using to hold your bolts and do you have a preferred type?
Depends on if its pre sets or run and gun. Run and gun I just stick the bolts in one of the hip compartments of my Ranch Safari hip pack.
For pre set, I have a military surplus canvas tool bag that holds more prep tools.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

It is cheaper at the show and no shipping cost. You also get some priceless advice from Mark.

Yeah. I know they have been busy with shows and stuff. I’m just impatient. Can’t wait to test it out.

Thinking about picking up a tree suit platform to use as a practice set in my back yard. Does anyone have any experience with one?

Back