• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Treehopper Drill/Bolts Questions

Aeds151

Will the drill with folding handle still fit into the “combo” pouch? If it does, do you find it actually easier to get the none folding handle out from the combo pouch since it is made to fit nicely into the pouch and the none folding handle makes it easier to grab and pull drill out?

What is the best type of bolt head, treehopper Allen Head or after market Hex Head?
Being a large guy, would 6” standard treehopper bolts be plenty or should I look for 8” bolts?

Thanks for the experience based feedback and your time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I much prefer the folding handle. It's beefier so it's better in the hand than the skinny, non folding handle.
I've used both hex and allen heads and I usually grind off the hex points anyway so shrink tube will fit easier like it will with the rounded allen heads.
Tip...carry mini vice grips for removing stuck bolts. Don't rely on an allen or hex wrenches. Mini vice grips are mandatory IME. Sooner or later you will want them.
Even with bolts that aren't really "stuck", the ones that are just a little tight, vice grips make it so fast and easy to pull them out.

Thanks for the feed back. I should have mentioned I wear a size 13 boot. I imagine my hiking boots would work but sometimes when necessary, I wear lacrosse arrowheads with a little less finess ability for aider and possible 8” bolt maneuverability. Does the larger folding handle fit either the “mini” drill or the regular drill?

Last edited:
I wear size 14 boots. I use bolts to climb on, not to stand on. I hunt off a mission. Heat shrink the bolts, it takes them to another level. Also make yourself a little carrier out of a Allen bullet holder belt. View attachment 68384

Is there enough bite on the smaller folding handle during the late season when its cold?

Your BoltBelt looks nice but Im looking for something thats easier to put the bolts in after a long hunt.

"I wear size 14 boots. I use bolts to climb on, not to stand on. I hunt off a mission. Heat shrink the bolts, it takes them to another level. Also make yourself"
Why do you heat shrink them and what size heat shrink do you use? Guessing to quiet them as much as possible?

Forgot to add bolt belt look awesome.

I use the marine grade heat shrink. I think 1/2". Makes them quieter, kills any shine, lasts a lot longer than any paint.

I think the bolt belt idea was nutter's. I got it from someone on here, definitely not my design. It is very nice though. Rolls up into a pouch. When I climb I hook it on my shirt, saddle, backpack shoulder strap, anywhere that is easily accessible.

Thanks for the feed back. I should have mentioned I wear a size 13 boot. I imagine my hiking boots would work but sometimes when necessary, I wear lacrosse arrowheads with a little less finess ability for aider and possible 8” bolt maneuverability. Does the larger folding handle fit either the “mini” drill or the regular drill?

I'm not 100% certain but I believe the folder fits on both drills. But I would advise getting the mini. It offers plenty of torque and it has slightly better clearance when rotating. You'd be surprised how often you need to bore a few inches from a branch. The rotation circumference of the larger drill can be an issue at times. Your knuckles will thank you for choosing the mini.

I just put my bolts in a pouch thats part of my pack's waist belt.
They lay in there nicely, they don't rattle, and there is no fiddle factor. I'm not trying to insert them in or out of a little retainer strap.

And get marine grade heat shrink for your daily pack bolts. For bolts for preset stands, there's no need for the heat shrink.
And btw, if you do presets, you gotta use a cordless drill...unbelievably nice, fast and easy.

I ordered a kit. I got the coated light gray bolts. Only comes with 10 So i am curious how high that will get with short-medium strides.

Ya just wont be dipped like others

If you add some heat shrink tube it won't matter if they're dipped. I never owned the ones from treehopper. Bought some from Amazon and hit em with the rattle can, then I found out how good the heat shrink tube was.

I ordered a kit. I got the coated light gray bolts. Only comes with 10 So i am curious how high that will get with short-medium strides.

Everybody is different but a good rule of thumb is to measure from the bottom of your foot to the top of your kneecap. That is a good distance to space them. Multiply that number by the number of bolts you have and that tells you how high you can get easily. I settled on 12 bolts as my standard. My step is 20 inches, 20-inch spacing x12 bolts=240 inches. So 240/12=20 feet. 12 bolts get me 20 feet.

I second the use of a good battery powered drill for doing presets.

I wish I could use bolts more but since going to public land it is off the table most places I hunt.

Back