• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Trophyline EDP Platform

Nosaj

SH Member
I am looking for a new platform. I have a Gen 2 predator and never really had a major issue with it. I am handing that one down am thinking about a Trophyline EDP. I saw one at a sportsman's show and it looked good. I like the way wings extend behind the post and it's size / weight. Are there any others out there that I should look at or issues I should know about on the EDP? I have looked at XOP, Cruzer and OOL. I'm not interested in the "cooming soon" vader carbon.

I am looking for a new platform. I have a Gen 2 predator and never really had a major issue with it. I am handing that one down am thinking about a Trophyline EDP. I saw one at a sportsman's show and it looked good. I like the way wings extend behind the post and it's size / weight. Are there any others out there that I should look at or issues I should know about on the EDP? I have looked at XOP, Cruzer and OOL. I'm not interested in the "cooming soon" vader carbon.

In a similar size, LWCG has the FIX and Lattitude has announced one. Timber Ninja has one coming to market too.

I don't know of any issues with the EDP, folks love em. Say they lock harder to the tree and flex less than competing platforms. Though, I'd like it better if the front of the platform was straight, personally.

In a similar size, LWCG has the FIX and Lattitude has announced one. Timber Ninja has one coming to market too.

I don't know of any issues with the EDP, folks love em. Say they lock harder to the tree and flex less than competing platforms. Though, I'd like it better if the front of the platform was straight, personally.
I really like my EDP but like @Plebe said I do wish that handle wasn't there and it was straight. I say that however it never has affected my movement or shooting ability. I had a Mission - great but too large for me. I still have a Perch which I love! The EDP locks down tight, easy to pack and set up. No complaints on my end thus far.

I really like my EDP but like @Plebe said I do wish that handle wasn't there and it was straight. I say that however it never has affected my movement or shooting ability. I had a Mission - great but too large for me. I still have a Perch which I love! The EDP locks down tight, easy to pack and set up. No complaints on my end thus far.

In platforms of WE Perch size, I think this new Battlement is looking really nice.

Thanks for the feed back, I see what you mean with the handle. I do not think the protruding handle is enough of an issue to choose something else. I do lean a fair amount however I have to believe that when I am my feet are equally spaced off the center of the tree. It looks like it could also be use full to lock the back foot against if you are angling around the tree.

I hunted for several years off the Predator. Honestly I didn't think there would be another platform that would move it out of my number one preference. That is until I used the EDP last year. I really like the way the EDP grabs the tree and, unlike some others who've posted here, I really like the handle. I find it gives me an outboard place to park my heel against when I'm standing or sitting in a side loading position. By moving that outboard foot further out on the platform it keeps more downward pressure and the platform doesn't kick off the tree as easily.

For me the only downside of the EDP from the Predator is the profile thickness when folded. I carry my platform in the pouch of the turkey vest I use for a pack and the slight added thickness can hamper me a bit getting the platform out of or back into the pouch at height.

I'm gonna say it's not a derailment as OP is interested in platform options. These OOAL builds/collaborations (RR2 and "Hybrid Battlement") have more width and less length than the aforementioned platforms, but aren't far off in weight. It's a give and take worth considering in mid-sized platforms.

So...from what I know from the OOAL Harrisburg show facebook video, the Hybrid Battlement is about 1lb lighter than the RR2, reportedly around 3lbs. The geometry of the Battlement part remians the same (see WE website for measurements) but you get that extra clearance from the tree with the RR2 post system.

I still use the predator, especially when mobile. The edp allows my legs to spread out more and reduces some knee pain. So I use that to. Right tool for the right situation. Also use ring of steps.

I run-n-gun out west here. Used many treestand systems over past 25 years. The saddle/1-stick system is best for my on-the-go hunting style.
Had original Predator past couple years, worked well.
Friend has the Mission, which I tried but too heavy, big for my hunting style. However, I was impressed with how the Mission snugly fit the tree.
Contemplated upgrading to Predator XL but in Fall 2021 bought the EDP.

EDP is great, rate 9.5 of 10 in my book. I often use it in conjunction with my customized LW single stick. Anchors so solidly to tree. I just wish the upright stem was a bit smaller in circumference measurement, like 1" LW stick. Then I'd rate it a 10.
Arrowed a raghorn bull diddly bopping down the ridgeline trail in a CO OTC unit this past September.
Sold the original Predator.

I traded for a brand new EDP on here last fall and used it a few times for a couple of preset locations. Worked excellently a very solid platform. I also one stick with a EWO and UP and used that combo more than the EDP. I also have the RR1 and Solo Scout. I really like the Solo Scout too but the EDP is a great balance of just enough platform, stability and lightweight packability.

I'll take the xop...solid lock to a tree...a little heavier than other options but built like a tank..I use mine to no stick with no problems or kickouts.

Thanks for all the good imput, I really appreciate it! The EDP is on order! Along the same vein, is anyone using the CAYS 2.0 to haul their EDP & Gear? If so what do you think? It looks good for the EDP, 1 stick and accessories, my question is late season I like to walk in in a thin wool long sleeve shirt and load up the layers in the tree. I am curious if it has the volume for a bunch of clothes in the main compartment? I am open to other suggestions. I have read through all the backpack threads for the last few years however I am looking for a little directed input (plus you cannot search for EDP backpack due to word length). I would like to stay sub $201 and I do not want it for hauling meat.

Thanks for all the good imput, I really appreciate it! The EDP is on order! Along the same vein, is anyone using the CAYS 2.0 to haul their EDP & Gear? If so what do you think? It looks good for the EDP, 1 stick and accessories, my question is late season I like to walk in in a thin wool long sleeve shirt and load up the layers in the tree. I am curious if it has the volume for a bunch of clothes in the main compartment? I am open to other suggestions. I have read through all the backpack threads for the last few years however I am looking for a little directed input (plus you cannot search for EDP backpack due to word length). I would like to stay sub $201 and I do not want it for hauling meat.
I have had these platforms ( Predator, Predator XL, Ridgerunner,Ridgerunner XL, LWCG Ambush) I’m really liking my EDP. As far as a pack , I went with the TL Platow pack . The Platow is flat out functional and simple, less bulk and unnecessary space.

I was considering the CAYS and Platow and may still someday pick up a platow when I get a more dedicated late season/gear hauling pack. The CAYS looks awesome but if you're carrying sticks and a platform, while you're saving considerable weight in comparison to a treestand, you're still carrying a pretty good load. I didn't think the CAYS looked like it had enough of a frame and too short of a profile to carry all of that comfortably and so i settled on a Kuiu Venture 2300. They're a little bit more expensive than the CAYS but not as expensive as something like a MR pop up or something with a dedicated frame/suspension system. If you can hold out for a 15% or 25% off sale or find one in classifieds it can be had for less than $200 and is a very good pack at that rate. It's not perfect but it strikes a nice balance of cost, weight/size and customizability. It'll cover 95% of my hunting style and I don't feel the need to switch to a lighter pack if I want to one stick or go to a pre-hung set. I do wish it had a load shelf or compression panel but the straps still get the job done. If I don't have heavy layers I strap my skeletors to the EDP with the ITO bungee system and it all straps to the back of the pack nice and tight. If I have layers I can put them over the EDP then the strap 2 sticks on either side. It's a longer internal frame prack and fits the stick profile nicely, i.e. the sticks aren't poking out way above or below the pack. I recommend reading the official backpack thread before making any decisions on a pack. The Venture gets some love but I don't think it gets enough. It's too expensive for basic guys and doesn't haul enough weight for more upper end guys. My goal was to find a pack that could comfortably carry up to 30 lbs for long walks that is lightweight, easy to handle in a tree and budget friendly without sacrificing features. The venture checks all of those boxes for me, just don't buy something until you've looked at what other guys are doing, there's a lot of good packs/systems out there

I was considering the CAYS and Platow and may still someday pick up a platow when I get a more dedicated late season/gear hauling pack. The CAYS looks awesome but if you're carrying sticks and a platform, while you're saving considerable weight in comparison to a treestand, you're still carrying a pretty good load. I didn't think the CAYS looked like it had enough of a frame and too short of a profile to carry all of that comfortably and so i settled on a Kuiu Venture 2300. They're a little bit more expensive than the CAYS but not as expensive as something like a MR pop up or something with a dedicated frame/suspension system. If you can hold out for a 15% or 25% off sale or find one in classifieds it can be had for less than $200 and is a very good pack at that rate. It's not perfect but it strikes a nice balance of cost, weight/size and customizability. It'll cover 95% of my hunting style and I don't feel the need to switch to a lighter pack if I want to one stick or go to a pre-hung set. I do wish it had a load shelf or compression panel but the straps still get the job done. If I don't have heavy layers I strap my skeletors to the EDP with the ITO bungee system and it all straps to the back of the pack nice and tight. If I have layers I can put them over the EDP then the strap 2 sticks on either side. It's a longer internal frame prack and fits the stick profile nicely, i.e. the sticks aren't poking out way above or below the pack. I recommend reading the official backpack thread before making any decisions on a pack. The Venture gets some love but I don't think it gets enough. It's too expensive for basic guys and doesn't haul enough weight for more upper end guys. My goal was to find a pack that could comfortably carry up to 30 lbs for long walks that is lightweight, easy to handle in a tree and budget friendly without sacrificing features. The venture checks all of those boxes for me, just don't buy something until you've looked at what other guys are doing, there's a lot of good packs/systems out there

I think trying to find the right pack is the hardest part of saddle hunting, they are all either too big or too small. I have been following the backpack thread for years and was looking for a little more specifics relative to the EDP platform and the CAYS pack. It tried the EDP this weekend and really liked how solid it is on the tree.

20220416_142421.jpg

Back