• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Trophyline Tree Saddle Review/Q&A

Nutterbuster

SH Member
Full disclaimer: Trophyline gave me the saddle and some swag. Guess I "sold out" and went prostaff. Sorry guys, saddle gear ain't cheap. :(

That being said, I like to think of myself as a laid-back, "anti-hype" kinda guy. I let them know during our first conversation that I wasn't interested in blowing smoke and glitter up folks' crack. I hate hashtaggin', fist-pumpin', "couldn't have killed him without XYZ Uber Product" BS as much as the next guy. Obviously I'm not going to bash their stuff if they're giving it to me for free. But I'm not going to say I like something if I don't

I answered a lot of questions about the new saddle last night on a stupid-long live video, but I wanted to start this thread to give folks an opportunity to ask questions, and for folks to add their thoughts as the saddles start coming in. As of right now, I have about 2 hours in the saddle, so I'm honestly still forming an opinion, but here's the first impressions.

First, it's not a high speed, low drag, weightless wonder. If you're looking for the absolute lightest saddle, this ain't it. Sorry. Try a mantis, tactisaddle, anderson, DIY fleece, etc. It weighs a bit over 2lbs on my scale. That being said...

It's pretty dang comfortable. I'm 2 hours, going on 3 hours into my first sit with 0 issues. I think I could sit all day in it with minimum discomfort. I've really been digging my size 2 kite, and I think if you like that you'll like this. It's also built like a brick outhouse. Those of you familiar with the old trophyline know they're super-solid (which is why so many are still around on the classifieds) and this one is no different. Stitching is stout, and the webbing is stout.

That being said, it's nowhere near the chunky monkey that the old TLs were. I'd compare my L/XL model to a size 3 kite, with 2" leg loops. Not bad at all.

You stand to shave way more weight and bulk off of your platform, climbing methods, and ropes than you do on your saddle.

It wears in nice. I wore mine this morning a out a mile through the woods with my bolt setup and stock ropes in the included pouches, and it never sagged or slid. Once to be able to just reach in the bags and grab my stuff and climb.

The pouches are nice. You get a "standard" drawstring bag and a bigger zippered pouch for free. Plus 2 ropes with sewn eyes and Black Diamond biners. All for $280. Price all that plus the saddle anywhere else, and you're getting a pretty dang good price. Ready to rock, just add climbing method and platform.

Personally, I'll be going with Oplux or webbing for my ropes, since that's what I am familiar with and love. But for guys who like 10mm ropes, you'll like these, provided you're ok with them being black and red. Gotta have that branding on fleek. ;)

The fixed leg loops you'll either love or hate. I ran my kestrel with fixed leg loops for a season, and if I'm going to have them I actually prefer them sewn in 0lace permanently. Less weight, less noise, and bomb proof. Some folks will hate stepping through them. I'll probably dislike trying to do it knee deep in floodwater at some point. But they didn't get tangled walking in this morning, and they don't cut off circulation.

The webbing bridge I personally like. It's adjustable, and on the old model served as the waist belt, which to me is super slick. The new one has an additional waist strap that utilizes a 2" slider buckle to secure it. I believe it was added so that if you induced slack into the system on a platform, the thing wouldn't fall down. I run a ring of steps, and pretty much physically can't make that kind of slack happen, so I'll probably cut it off and have a simpler, slightly lighter system.

Those are my thoughts so far. Not the lightest, "sexiest" saddle, but rugged, comfortable, and a very solid choice. If you're looking at buying one on the 9th and have questions, have at 'em. I'll answer what I can.

Congrats on being validated as one of the cool kids.

Kinda curious, is it public knowledge yet who the mystery owner(s) are? They affiliated with the old TL company or did they buy out the trade names?

Congrats on being validated as one of the cool kids.

Kinda curious, is it public knowledge yet who the mystery owner(s) are? They affiliated with the old TL company or did they buy out the trade names?
I'm honestly not sure if I'm supposed to tell or not. Probably need to ask about that. Also, I don't know that I'm 100% up to speed myseld on how the reboot came together. I can ask though.

Ok so now that I picked on you is selling out a real thing? If you like something and choose to promote it how are you selling out?

Anyhow did you post a link to the video?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm honestly not sure if I'm supposed to tell or not. Probably need to ask about that. Also, I don't know that I'm 100% up to speed myseld on how the reboot came together. I can ask though.

The lack of transparency behind it is dumb, makes it seem like Russian oligarchs or something. Their bots tapped into the growing traffic of Saddhunter.com and next thing we know there will be shirtless pics of Putin in a Trophyline slaying a siberian tiger. Or else the Tehrd dudes just bought it to grow into the branding of non weight weenie saddles.

Nice review, I watched your live video right up until you said "you couldn't believe 36 guys were signed on to look at a rednecks crotch" at that point my TV gave me a "we are having problems with this app" message and I lost service. My wife told me that was a sign to stop looking at a rednecks crotch, lol.

The saddle has my interest. A pic of the kite overlaid on the TL would be awesome to get a better feel for the size.

Oh and by the way if you are prostaff, better get that affiliation in your sig. It amazes me who companies will affiliate with just because of a few youtube subscribers. SMH. ;)

Wow. That looks comfortable. I could sleep in that on those sunny, cool October afternoons. Is the saddle available without the accessories and are they available to ship?

View attachment 17617

Not sure what else to do? I don't really use Tapatalk. Is there another way to make a sig show up? I ain't typing it at the bottom of every post, I'll mail that sucker back first! Lol

It shows up on the browser. I think there is a signature line issue with tapatalk. I don't think anyone's shows up.

Looks very comfortable but a cluster of big straps to deal with. I'm sure they will streamline it and add buckles on another model for those of us who hunt in water/mud and can't stand to step into a saddle.

Back