• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Truck is finally set up for solo hunting this year.

devildog

I have a farm lease 2 hours away from my house, and I also go to public spots all over the Mo. Anyway, last year I got tired of setting up camp and breaking it down or sleeping in the back of the truck and getting rained on. So over the last year I have been setting up my truck for hunting and camping solo this season. I got a bed rack and roof top tent that only takes 1 minute to set up and break down. I added a decked system for organization in the truck for all my hunting gear and cooking/coffee making supplies. The last thing I had to figure out was how to load deer by myself in the truck with the decked system and the roof rack keeping me from standing upright and pulling the deer in like I could do in the past. I found a hand winch at Harbor Freight and got it installed today. Once I pair it with a 2x12 wooden ramp, it will be perfect to pull a deer right up in the truck bed. Share any other ideas you guys are using to make your camping more comfortable and mobile for this season.

Sounds like you have a nice setup. Over the years, I have used a variety of sleeping systems. Tent, tarp, bivy sack, back of the pickup truck, etc. I discovered - by necessity one year - that I sleep just fine in a sleeping bag in the front seat of my vehicle, with the front seat reclined a little bit. So, that's what I've been doing ever since. Just turn the vehicle on to heat it up, pull my sleeping bag from the back seat to the front seat, climb inside the sleeping bag, and go to sleep. I'm amazed it works as well as it does - for ME. I 'camped' this way for nearly three weeks straight last year on a hunt in September and then again in November for a different hunt for two weeks straight.

Last edited:
Here you go
d2771649df7ce9f8a22efe3fd95edfcb.jpg

cf615f491a295af87f0a0cfceb541292.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like it. I may have to do some kind of copy. Which roof nest did you get

I like it. I may have to do some kind of copy. Which roof nest did you get

I have the falcon XL. I have about 12 nights in it since I got it. Very comfortable and easy to set up and breakdown. The wife loves it also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome truck and setup!

I think I could do a couple weeks in the front seat method too! Lol

I can't remember exactly how those HF put together.....if that handle came off and u had the right size socket on the end of a cordless impact u could zip a deer up and in with no effort at all...

Just sold my TRD Off Road. Had big plans for it.

Now, the 4Runner might like a hardshell rooftop tent. :) Thanks Teufel Hunden :smiley:

I've slept in the front seat of a Cherokee a few times. Meh.

I'm no pro on this kind of thing, but a 3" mattress topper is quite nice. Cut in half and doubled up...very nice.

Like your use of the 80/20 you can get very creative with that extrusion.....

Here you go
d2771649df7ce9f8a22efe3fd95edfcb.jpg

cf615f491a295af87f0a0cfceb541292.jpg

I have a nearly similar set up minus the tent on top of my rack but I just pulled the trigger on a decked system this morning. I’ve had a friend that’s had one for a few years and loves it and he also beats the crap out of his way more than I ever will mine and it’s taken it. How are you liking yours since instal?

I like that, pretty practical.
I saw a TreeHouse pop up recently.
Kind of like a combo of a truck cap and pop up.

I’m sticking with my company car for the time being.
Until I figure out how to buy a house or become rich , seems the two are mutual requirements

Nice! I use a kodiak canvas tent now but I don't jump around much. I have also been looking for a way to load deer into my bed solo as I have a camper shell. Do you mind sharing pics of your deer loading method?

I have a nearly similar set up minus the tent on top of my rack but I just pulled the trigger on a decked system this morning. I’ve had a friend that’s had one for a few years and loves it and he also beats the crap out of his way more than I ever will mine and it’s taken it. How are you liking yours since instal?

I have had my decked system for few years and it is great. Not sure I could ever have a truck without it.

Nice! I use a kodiak canvas tent now but I don't jump around much. I have also been looking for a way to load deer into my bed solo as I have a camper shell. Do you mind sharing pics of your deer loading method?

I can send pictures later if you need them, but I will explain how it works. I installed a Harbor Freight hand winch on the underside of my bed rack. Link below. Then I keep two 2x4's in the truck bed with my jet sled. On my jet sled I have an eye bolt on the front, and I can just winch the sled up 2x4's into the bed of the truck. I used with a big buck last year and it worked perfect.

I have had my decked system for few years and it is great. Not sure I could ever have a truck without it.
Good to know and I’ve been coming to the same conclusion through research, for the person who would benefit from these systems they are undeniable. Mine gets here in ~7 days.

This is perfect for one man since it’s battery operated with a remote so you would have to climb into truck to operate. Good luck!

Attachments

• IMG_4631.png
    IMG_4631.png
    666.6 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_4630.png
    IMG_4630.png
    735.2 KB · Views: 35
Back