• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Trying out my new setup

DannyAttacksTheMountain

Does anyone else practice with their setup year round?
Happy Saturday!

!
9d47dd23d4c06dd7b36e6503f78b64de.jpg
249916e7e96fd4feaafbdbcefb0d8f0b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let's just say I have been getting funny looks from my neighbors this week. This is me in my front yard yesterday. First time ever trying to shoot my bow out of a saddle. This is a target behind me shot..........

Did it seem any more challenging shooting from the saddle vs shooting from a stand?

I have been saddle hunting for along time and with all the changes that I like to try with climbing sticks and aiders I have to practice to see what works best plus I like to use different climbing methods and its fun.

Did it seem any more challenging shooting from the saddle vs shooting from a stand?

The only change I had to make to my setup was to turn down my poundage from 70 to 60 and that's only because I wanted the option to shoot over my bridge. The only shot I have trouble with still is to the weak side (my left, I'm a lefty) other than that I think it's actually easier to keep proper form in a saddle vs treestand.

I have only tried the "move around the tree to shoot a target behind me shot", but it just seemed a lot easier. I felt completely locked in. Not sure that makes sense but it seemed a lot more stable because my body was set against something form (my tether). I am going to have to recruit my daughter to be an arrow fetcher and target mover so I don't have to climb down each time :)

I am so pissed at myself for not doing this a long time ago. Uggh.

Completely off topic.......... I spent weeks tuning my 13 year old bow, a Bowtech Old Glory. New strings, new rest, worked on the timing, paper tuned, then walk back tuned it. This bow has never shot so well. It shoots broadheads just like the field points. I was planning on plunking down some cash on a new bow but I am happy to say that I cannot justify it. She shoots like a dream. I always shot mechanicals because I could never get broadheads to fly right. Well, another possible point of failure has been eliminated. Fixed blades for me. I have shot them out to 40 yards and they fly perfect; and in fifteen years of hunting I have never taken a shot longer than 20 yards.

The only change I had to make to my setup was to turn down my poundage from 70 to 60 and that's only because I wanted the option to shoot over my bridge. The only shot I have trouble with still is to the weak side (my left, I'm a lefty) other than that I think it's actually easier to keep proper form in a saddle vs treestand.

My understanding is that we should be able to complete a 360 around the tree if needed to take a shot on your weaker side(mine being my right since I’m a righty). Have you found this to be the case?

I have only tried the "move around the tree to shoot a target behind me shot", but it just seemed a lot easier. I felt completely locked in. Not sure that makes sense but it seemed a lot more stable because my body was set against something form (my tether). I am going to have to recruit my daughter to be an arrow fetcher and target mover so I don't have to climb down each time :)

Completely off topic.......... I spent weeks tuning my 13 year old bow, a Bowtech Old Glory. New strings, new rest, worked on the timing, paper tuned, then walk back tuned it. This bow has never shot so well. It shoots broadheads just like the field points. I was planning on plunking down some cash on a new bow but I am happy to say that I cannot justify it. She shoots like a dream. I always shot mechanicals because I could never get broadheads to fly right. Well, another possible point of failure has been eliminated. Fixed blades for me. I have shot them out to 40 yards and they fly perfect; and in fifteen years of hunting I have never taken a shot longer than 20 yards.

Glad you got the BH issue figured out man

My understanding is that we should be able to complete a 360 around the tree if needed to take a shot on your weaker side(mine being my right since I’m a righty). Have you found this to be the case?

I haven't used a seat platform yet, but that's the word. I think you might have to twist in place with the tether up against your chest to keep rotating in the same direction. Either way, I can't wait to get my hands on the new platforms the guys are working on!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I can shoot 360 degrees it just takes practice. To shoot to my left I either have to put my left hip against the tree and pivot turning back to my right, pivoting on my left foot which puts your back against the tree or I shoot across my bridge which I tend to prefer. I do however use strap on steps for a platform.

Last edited:

I listened to the hype and drank the kool aid and was in the market for a new bow. I was eager to lay my money down on a new rig, but after a tune up, my 2012 Bowtech Insanity out shot 7 new top of the line bows at the pro shop. Like you, I couldn't justify it either! My bow shoots smoother, faster and at a lower poundage than what's on the market right now! Yippee!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

In the long run I think you will be glad you turned down your poundage. I have been shooting 55 pounds for years and no problem taking deer and it will save your shoulder in the long run.

In the long run I think you will be glad you turned down your poundage. I have been shooting 55 pounds for years and no problem taking deer and it will save your shoulder in the long run.
Yes I agree it was the right decision, my next bow will probably be 60# or maybe even 50#.

Back