• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tuning Question

Thetrueredneck

SH Member
Trying to tune some arrows that I am building and I am getting a constant tail up tear, since I am using a whisker biscuit rest and building some heavyweight arrows is it better to adjust the rest or the D loop? My guess would be loop but not sure. Thank you for the help in advance!

I can’t speak from experience here. But it would seem that at some point, the whiskers are not working properly due to arrow mass increase with “heavy arrows”. You may be getting an arrow tip dropping on release with front end mass causing arrow to push between the whiskers towards bottom of the rest, kicking tail up.

Just a thought.

for me, it would depend on 2 things

where my the center of my arrow is in relation to the berger hole the rest is screwed into and how i like how the bow is holding

if the arrow is a bit in relation to the berger hole (not at least center of arrow through center of berger hole) then i'd raise the biscuit

also, if i liked how the bow was holding i would attempt to move the biscuit, unless it will cause other problems

moving your d loop will slightly change how the bow feels to you

I can’t speak from experience here. But it would seem that at some point, the whiskers are not working properly due to arrow mass increase with “heavy arrows”. You may be getting an arrow tip dropping on release with front end mass causing arrow to push between the whiskers towards bottom of the rest, kicking tail up.

Just a thought.
I was thinking this exact same thing that since I am shooting 31.25” arrows and being extreme FOC that the whiskers were bending more then normal.

for me, it would depend on 2 things

where my the center of my arrow is in relation to the berger hole the rest is screwed into and how i like how the bow is holding

if the arrow is a bit in relation to the berger hole (not at least center of arrow through center of berger hole) then i'd raise the biscuit

also, if i liked how the bow was holding i would attempt to move the biscuit, unless it will cause other problems

moving your d loop will slightly change how the bow feels to you
Raising the rest may be better for me after talking with a bow tech today on my lunch break. He wasn’t impressed with my heavy arrow idea ( totally different conversation to be had with him if I feel like it ) but he said he could give me a hand if needed.

Are you using a more standard brown whiskers and black on the bottom?

Trying to tune some arrows that I am building and I am getting a constant tail up tear, since I am using a whisker biscuit rest and building some heavyweight arrows is it better to adjust the rest or the D loop? My guess would be loop but not sure. Thank you for the help in advance!

I shoot a whisker biscuit and just had this issue. I was moving my rest up like I had read and it wasn’t getting any better. But when I decided to move it down instead, just passed 90 degrees, I started getting bullet holes. My left and right were also opposite of what I read. Point being if something doesn’t work don’t be afraid to try the opposite. I prefer moving the rest since it’s easy and it seemed to work well for me but I’m not 100% done yet.

From a basic tuning standpoint, set the arrow height to be level with the center of your berger button/rest hole. If a slight correction needs to be made, move the rest. If the arrow tear direction/size doesn't move/change with the rest correction, or if it's a fairly large tear, move your loop.

If it's a "true binary" style bow and everything looks like it should, this could be reflective of a cam timing issue...

I shoot a whisker biscuit and just had this issue. I was moving my rest up like I had read and it wasn’t getting any better. But when I decided to move it down instead, just passed 90 degrees, I started getting bullet holes. My left and right were also opposite of what I read. Point being if something doesn’t work don’t be afraid to try the opposite. I prefer moving the rest since it’s easy and it seemed to work well for me but I’m not 100% done yet.
I agree that it’s possible that you may need to do the opposite of what a tuning guide may say. In a launcher blade if the arrow is leaving the bow tail high they say to raise the rest. If it’s leaving a biscuit tail high, the nock will probably get knocked down giving you an opposite tear. Try both directions and if you still have a problem just bring it to a shop. I haven’t talked to a shop bowtech yet that didn’t tell me “my heavy arrows are all wrong”. They are all about the twizzlers with the flappers screwed on the end doing 5,000 fps.

I'm just a weekend warrior like u so my info could be suspect.....

The whisker issue is a real thing with heavy points but, at least with my stuff, the whiskers bend and separate when the arrow is just nocked and sitting in the bow....the tips way out there creating long lever arm that can push the whiskers and let the arrow drop down further than normal but when u draw the lever arm gets real short and the whiskers push the arrow up so at full draw it shouldn't be any issue. It isn't a consistent thing...and most time whiskers don't separate but it is something to be mindful of. If I have an arrow nocked and stalking an animal or walking I just keep my index finger on my bow holding hand raised up to help support the bottom side of the arrow.

Both my bows needed nock high to shoot heavies....

I was just watching Exodus’s podcast on their multiple interviews with Norge from Firenock. I’ve had email discussions with Norge as well and Firenock sells a full containment arrow rest made of titanium with ceramic rollers for the arrow support that you may want to consider for better heavy arrow support. From my discussions with him he’s not been a huge proponent of heavy arrows but if you watch the most recent Exodus podcast discussion about Norge’s tech., he brings up some intesrsting physics dynamics regarding arrow length and finding the “node” of the arrow which is a specific spot where your rest support should be relative to the arrow for optimal tuning. He has a technology that will increase the width of the node on your arrows to make it more applicable to archers who can’t cut and tune for the exact node spot. I don’t know much about it yet but this may provide some answers for biscuit users and heavy heavy arrows and foc.

Last edited:
On thing to note, not to go off on a tangent, but having a rest that you can tune launcher resistance/softness can be a real benefit... I'm a big fan of the Vaportrail V series rests, not solely for that reason, but...

Back