• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Turkey legs for fun

Fozzie Bear

Hey, my wife was given some wild turkey legs off 2 dead birds a couple weeks ago. The legs have been in the fridge since then. Any ideas about how to process these into dried legs that can be used to make a trivet stand or something will be greatly appreciated.
Toss them in a freezer for a year to freeze-dry? (this worked well on axis deer antlers in velvet)
Slit the skins with a scalpel and flesh them out down to the top of the foot?
Other?
All feedback is welcome. Thanks.

1db186b75c2ece44d16dd429ee578bf6.jpg

Last edited:
Form them into the shape you want them in. Then dump some borax onto where the cut was made. Then let them sit for awhile. I’ve done dozens of turkey legs like this and the eventually after a few weeks Harden and lose all smell. I usually just flatten them out and put something heavy on them. Also, keeping them in ziplock bags or not fully drying them out will cause them to discolor and go Grey. If you let them sit for awhile and switch out borax every 2 days they will retain their color

^^^^ what he said

I dig the same thing with deer hooves once. Put a bolt between the hooves and they stayed that way after they dried. Used it for decorating for a gun rack (cheap old gun) didn’t care if it got scratched.

Back