• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Turning a 3 step stick into a 2 step

Rod Johnson

I have a pretty tall step so im toying with the idea of eliminating the middle step and shortening the post, should cut the weight down a good bit also, anyone ever done this??

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I have some Hawk Helium sticks that were shortened a little to remove the middle step. I bought them from a member this way, but it wouldn’t be hard and should be able to be done with pretty much any brand. Just for ideas, search for Helium Stick Mods, and check out some of those threads. DaveT1963 even has a YouTube channel with videos of how he did his.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's your distance from top of step to top of step

Welcome, I believe it’s around 22”. I’ve never put a tape on them though. It’s a perfect distance for me. It can be done in thinner clothes or thicker clothes. I have a 2 step aider for each stick as well, but find gem a bit cumbersome in some situations. So I have them set up now to use a 2 step on the bottom stick, and a 23” single aider on the other 2 sticks. It will be done similar to davet1963 as well, the bottom aider stays on the stick but the top aider hangs from the top of the stick so I can grab it and put it on the next stick and then store it in a pack once I’m up so it’s not dangling around. If you watch his videos, what I just said will make more sense.

Welcome, I believe it’s around 22”. I’ve never put a tape on them though. It’s a perfect distance for me. It can be done in thinner clothes or thicker clothes. I have a 2 step aider for each stick as well, but find gem a bit cumbersome in some situations. So I have them set up now to use a 2 step on the bottom stick, and a 23” single aider on the other 2 sticks. It will be done similar to davet1963 as well, the bottom aider stays on the stick but the top aider hangs from the top of the stick so I can grab it and put it on the next stick and then store it in a pack once I’m up so it’s not dangling around. If you watch his videos, what I just said will make more sense.

I've been following that thread, I know exactly what your talking about

Leverage.....I have 6 of them, im just gonna do one for now to make sure I have the spacing and everything where I want it

So I finished one stick, lost 1/2 lb, so with my 4 sticks im gonna cut my weight 2 lbs
bb9ce5c1a3b2d66b9f300bf76aec206f.jpg
6c2e0df85a94ed65bf22986f1655c852.jpg
c84d5c6e3fe306fd3220d6c8740f2e85.jpg

Awesome, that kind of weight loss adds up. Looks good

Thanks, imstill gonna run just one until im sure I like everything, then I'll do the rest, only took me 20 min

Good deal, I’ve used Lone Wolf sticks before, and I prefer the shorter stick. The three steps just seemed to close and a bit of a wasted material. But to make 3 steps usable for me, it would end up being a 40+” stick which wouldn’t be good for packing or carrying.

Good deal, I’ve used Lone Wolf sticks before, and I prefer the shorter stick. The three steps just seemed to close and a bit of a wasted material. But to make 3 steps usable for me, it would end up being a 40+” stick which wouldn’t be good for packing or carrying.

Trying to pack them is what led me to this idea

I have removed the middle step on my hawk heliums. However, I left the middle step on my top stick just in case i need.

I am not sure, and you could check with Bowhutner15 - but you could probably drill some holes in the two side strips to reduce weight and not effect that structure integrity? Hopefully bowhunter 15 could give a right answer on that.

I have a pretty tall step so im toying with the idea of eliminating the middle step and shortening the post, should cut the weight down a good bit also, anyone ever done this??

Sure have, I cut down my Hawk Helium sticks to 22” and added rope step.

Finally got around to doing all 4 sticks, total weight with rope and everything was 7 lb 12oz
19976af167b8992c7ae624b02bf3e1b9.jpg

Back