• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Turtle noodling

Zach

Anyone go noodling for turtles? It's been a few years for me since I have but Love going. Laws and bag limits have changed now since this pic was taken. 4 of us 2 day's of noodling.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190102-205727.png
    Screenshot_20190102-205727.png
    556.5 KB · Views: 242
I saw the headline and shuddered. It’s just been this year I can go into water I can’t see the bottom of. Now this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a Adrenaline rush and some good eating. Normally I feed them out for a week or two changing the water once or twice a day then we butcher them. Have some good friends that's been doing it for close to 30 YRS and never been bit.

I just catch them when they cross the road. When I lived in Louisiana, if you didn’t stop right there and catch it, someone else would. No time to pass it up and think you could turn around and go back and grab it. But these other states I’ve lived in, no rush. Lol

I’ve noodled catfish, but never turtles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just catch them when they cross the road. When I lived in Louisiana, if you didn’t stop right there and catch it, someone else would. No time to pass it up and think you could turn around and go back and grab it. But these other states I’ve lived in, no rush. Lol

Verified!

Ok this piqued my curiosity, I've seen catfish noodling and have a general idea how it's done, but even never done it for fear or snappers.

How does one noodle for turtles without losing fingers?

Ok this piqued my curiosity, I've seen catfish noodling and have a general idea how it's done, but even never done it for fear or snappers.

How does one noodle for turtles without losing fingers?

I'm curious too...not curious enough to try it mind you...but still curious.

This is a thing?! It was always a joke where I'm from that you'd accidentally noodle a Alligator snapper and have to change your name to Nubs!!

Log jams and at times in the side of banks is where you get them. I tear in to light jams feeling up and down until I put my hands on one. A lot of the times you can actually smell them before you find them. Once I have layed my hand on one I will push him down and take my thumb or pinkie finger feeling around the edge of shell until you feel the spikes at back and/tail. Then grab him by the tail and pull him out.

Log jams and at times in the side of banks is where you get them. I tear in to light jams feeling up and down until I put my hands on one. A lot of the times you can actually smell them before you find them. Once I have layed my hand on one I will push him down and take my thumb or pinkie finger feeling around the edge of shell until you feel the spikes at back and/tail. Then grab him by the tail and pull him out.

Nope!!! Take my pinkie or thumb and do what? I'll just pay you for the turtle.

My grandpa used to catch alligator snapping turtles in south Georgia and eat them. I never learned how to do it. I guess there’s probably YouTube videos about how to butcher one? I don’t think I’m gonna be noodlin for them, but if I was to catch one while fishing, I would like to know what to do with it to get the meat.

Not for me.

I got a couple of big 'uns in my pond right now. When I get back in town from work, a 1/0 hook with some bait will solve that problem. I do relocate them to the closest swamp.

Perty good eatin. We will take handles from old garden hoes or shovels and put a metal.end on em.and.walk through muddy spots in creek and tap.around till.find them.then will flip them out and toss them on the bank. Clean em out about a week and let a old fella here have em. Makes fine eatin in winter when ya killin hogs and just got time to pick at it as u can

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Turtle shop is delicious but I pass sticking my hand under a bank. My friends brother-in-law fishes for snapping turtles and they are mean so I'll pass.

Back