• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Two Whitetail Wishes

First, I would wish for 10 more wishes, lol! Ha, no if only two then maybe:

1) The ability to always learn something new and meaningful from each hunt and be able to capitalize on it going forward.
2) The ability to always make quick, clean kills on the deer I arrow.

1) All video hunting media goes away (tv, youtube, all of it). Video depicting kill shots and dead animals for personal use only. Why hand feed the antis.

2) Get rid of 21st century market hunting. Ban all game farms, high fence hunting. Ban free range outfitted hunts that have trophy fees and score minimums etc. that create a de facto transaction for the animal based upon the size of its headgear.

1) to have delayed buck fever. Til after the shot
2) more vacation time to hunt

1. Pittman-Robertson Funding remain In place and Intact (its being threatened right now)

2. That old hunters teach new hunters about hunting by starting them out small game hunting first, then progressing to big game. Nothing legislated or mandated mind you (I hate big government over-reach) but I think we're creating a generation of people thinking the only hunting success is big antlers and big game. The more overall hunting there is, the better for whitetail hunting.

1) This is not a popular view. But I think a general accuracy test for each weapon license. My minimal standard is dinner plate at 20 yards, if you can't pass that, you need more practice before I can trust you to hunt with it. Yes yes, I know, some people are different when they actually hunt etc etc. But I'm not asking you to shoot Olypmic targets at 100 meters, but seriously....20 yards. But I'm open to ANY type of weapons for hunting if you can prove accuracy and lethality. So spears, rail gun, whatever you want as long as you can be ethically.

2) With the blessing of God, avoid wounding or causing unnecessary suffering to an animal as long as I can. I believe in the veterans, that sooner or later it will happens to all of us. But please guide my hands as long as you will it, so I do my best, for the best.

I think instituting a 4 point on 1 side rule (or clearly older than 4.5 years) for any hunter over 21 years old would help more mature bucks live.

i also think nonresident tags in my home state of missouri should go to a draw system not over the counter.

can I add a third? It would be no more youth rifle season. That ought to ruffle some feathers

. Pittman-Robertson Funding remain In place and Intact (its being threatened right now)
I'll raise you one. That it be extended to include backpacking, camping, fishing, birdwatching, and all other equipment that people buy for outdoor recreation.

2nd wish would be to bridge the gap between liberal and conservative conservationists. They want 90% of the same things. Increased public access to wild places, biodiversity, cleaner environments, their kids to not grow up in concrete hellscapes, etc.

1. That I get to hunt and be successful as much as I want.

2. That my kids have access to at least the same amount of resources/activities/land etc as I do, or more. In my opinion @Nutterbuster getting his second wish is the key to me getting mine

If you only had TWO whitetail related wishes what would they be?

I want to wish for 500 private acres but I’m going to take one for the team:
(1) CWD disappears.
(2) Outdoorspeople buy only USA made product.
I love the cwd and made in usa products
My 3rd would be eradicate ehd (blue tongue)

2nd wish would be to bridge the gap between liberal and conservative conservationists. They want 90% of the same things. Increased public access to wild places, biodiversity, cleaner environments, their kids to not grow up in concrete hellscapes, etc.
Genie says she’s gotta call her boss’s boss to discuss will get back to you.

I'll raise you one. That it be extended to include backpacking, camping, fishing, birdwatching, and all other equipment that people buy for outdoor recreation.

The liberal vs. conservative gap is wider than you think. The conservation vs. preservation camps both want access and cleaner environments but the path to get there and terms of the end goal are often quite different. Healthy debate can be a good thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dang it, now I have to waste one of my wishes to offset your first one. My wish is to not tax the gear of all the non-consumptive users so as not to leverage their voice anymore than possible. Rather maybe consider instituting a per property annual use pass of $10-15 with collected fees remaining with that particular property for trail and access point maintenance.

For the second, I think I will go for a 26 week annual work year with no change in compensation to be worked February through April and June through August. Gotta have May for turkey hunting.

1. All hunters would be good stewards. Friendly, clean, follow the rules and be polite.
(Where dreaming right)
2. No wounded deer.

My wish is to not tax the gear of all the non-consumptive users so as not to leverage their voice anymore than possible.
Already a lost cause. Only 4.6% of America hunts, and only about 25% of those hunters bowhunt. 17% fish (yay for Dingell-Johnson), 28% camp. 33% birdwatch.

Non-hunting conservationists already outnumber hunters. And in my experience they're much more vocal and involved. Me and a buddy were the only sportsmen present at last years public hearing regarding a plan to abandon a coal-ash pond a few yards from the Mobile River, upstream of 90k acres of hunting ground and hundreds of miles of waterways that get fished heavily. I joined the nonprofit fighting the power company, and I'll be the only hunter on the board I'm on.

Most of the PR tax dollars aren't generated by hunters already. 90ish percent of PR funds come from guns/ammo sales, and most of those sales aren't hunting related. Almost none of the hunting gear we talk about on here is taxed by PR. Just guns, ammo, and archery tackle. I'm all for expanding PR to include taxing saddles, sticks, stands, mineral licks, clothes, etc.

But that would be a drop in the bucket of funding that could be achieved if we'd tax the yuppies. Usage of wild areas has changed. The principle of PR and DJ (user pays) is super-democratic and has worked well enough. We've already expanded the idea once with DJ. We need to do it again.

And on a lighter note, if @BTaylor is going to negate my second wish, I'd like to re-roll for deer to constantly emit a faint whistling noise so I can hear them where I can't see them. ;)

Was familiar with those stats but you didnt mention hunting license sales. That and PR funds gives leverage to hunters voices even though we are statistically a decided minority. If you change the system so the anti-hunting folks are being taxed and all of a sudden you have a larger group paying a potentially larger share with voice. More to lose than there is to gain taxing groups containing anti's. There was a point where I was in agreement with you but changed my position.

Freaking awesome re-wish!!! Great call!!

A lot of these wishes I'm seeing are very much doable. How bout stop wishing and make it happen.

Back