• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ultra light one "stick" method.

TMerritt2011

Hey guys this will be my first post here after lurking for a few months. I have been researching climbing methods for hunting public land that are super thick, and between wild edge stepps (which i have ordered) amd my hawk sticks im gunna try one sticking... heres where the ultra lite comes in. I am going to try making a diy 5 step aider out of 1 inxh tubular webbing to use with my WEI steps once they come in but why couldnt i put a longer "tether" with a screw gate biner to girth hitch the tree with and climb it one stick style? Leave the metal hawk stick at home. correct me if im wrong but wouldnt this climbing method weigh ounces compaired to a 3 pound stick? Plan to purchase my tubing thursday to start tbis project. Am i missing something? What says the hive mind?

Perfectly plausible sounding to me. I would rather 1 stick, but there’s no reason that I can think of why that wouldn’t work.

It’s a good idea and surely it will be light.. I just ordered a 5 step aider to try this method as well however I still plan to use 3-4 steps for as little effort as it is to pack the W.E steps trying to one step it sounds more complicated. However saying that I’m definitely going to try it and see how it works..
IMG_0051.jpgIMG_0056.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perfectly plausible sounding to me. I would rather 1 stick, but there’s no reason that I can think of why that wouldn’t work.
My reasoning behind not useing the actual stick is the level of noise. Every video i have watched of guys one sticking when the move the stick it inevitably clangs against something. Whether its the tree or a ropeman1 on your tether or whatever. If using strickly 1 inch tubular it shouldnt make any noise. And by making the aider myself i can set my steps at whatever distance apart i want and incorporate the longer "tether" into it for girth hitching

Careful about crossloading any biner in such a setup. Check out @noxninja's videos.

I haven't tried aiders or 1 sticking yet. I suspect the extra clearance from the tree makes the aider easier to get into, but i'll figure out what works for me once the snow is gone.

Also look at @Ted Bright's cranford/aider combo.

Last edited:
It has been done on here before. Most don’t stick with it though because without the stick, the aider just lays flat against the tree making it harder to climb and get your foot in it. The stick helps to keep it away from the tree. With practice the one stick method can be done really quiet just like other climbing methods

Weird, one of the things I really liked right off the bat with 1 stick climbing was how quiet it was.

I do it on public. It ain’t easy but it is light and packable. I liked to rappel back then to get out quick. That was all BS (before spurs) lol.

The only thing noisy about one sticking is the cam cleat and standoff’s moving against the tree bark all preventable IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Everything sounds better on paper (or webpage) than when out hunting. Over the years, I have tried and ditched many DIYs and methods that worked well at home but just didn't pan out hunting. So my advice is to try it several times, on various trees.

If you have a lot of straight trees then perhaps this will work just fine. However, in the dark (going up or down) on trees with twists, limbs and that lean, things get progressively harder. I have climbed leaners with 4 sticks, w/o aiders, that were difficult at best to maintain my balance. Add in some bulky clothing, cold temps, etc., and it can be dangerous as well as difficult. I use several methods depending on the tree - for the overwhelming amount of trees I have climbed, since I cannot use gaffs or screw ins most of the time, 3 sticks and 1 step aiders have been the most reliable and consistent method for me. Now days I scout and set up impromptu a lot so I need a system that works on most trees I encounter - for me that has turned out to be my modified heliums and a CAYG aider. Your mileage may vary.

BS (befor
Hey guys this will be my first post here after lurking for a few months. I have been researching climbing methods for hunting public land that are super thick, and between wild edge stepps (which i have ordered) amd my hawk sticks im gunna try one sticking... heres where the ultra lite comes in. I am going to try making a diy 5 step aider out of 1 inxh tubular webbing to use with my WEI steps once they come in but why couldnt i put a longer "tether" with a screw gate biner to girth hitch the tree with and climb it one stick style? Leave the metal hawk stick at home. correct me if im wrong but wouldnt this climbing method weigh ounces compaired to a 3 pound stick? Plan to purchase my tubing thursday to start tbis project. Am i missing something? What says the hive mind?

You wont find a 3 pound stick around here bud! That's just heresy! ;)

There is a guy on youtube that uses a tether and a 5 step aider.

Some times, I think were drastically over thinking stuff and making stuff "ultra light" when the difference is negligible. I am with @DaveT1963 on the 3 sticks and the CAYG aider. I can get up a tree quickly and quietly this way. If you're clanging stuff together, slow down and perfect your system. There are only a couple times in my system that my sticks have the possibility to make any noise. Both of those are when i'm stacking or unstacking them. Other than that, they don't ever touch.

I completely understand everything always sounds good on paper and do fully plan to try this method out before committing a hunt to this style. I plan to bulid the aider to use with my wild edge steps regardless of this methid working out or not.

@boyne bowhunter makes one sticking look easy. Practise is the key. That is why @DaveT1963 likes his method practice. I have used multi step aiders for awhile. I am comfortable with them. I am going to put some practice into one sticking. It is getting easier and looks like a great method

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I completely understand everything always sounds good on paper and do fully plan to try this method out before committing a hunt to this style. I plan to bulid the aider to use with my wild edge steps regardless of this methid working out or not.

Good luck I hope it works out for you - wish I was a little younger I might give it a go :)

Ultimate in practicing to climb

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Nope - he is rehearsing his acceptance speech for a future Darwin Award - dude is an idiot, there is simply no reason for the added risk.... it certainly is no more hard then climbing with safety gear except for the whole mental factor of falling. I suspect at some point we will all hear on social media the call for "Cleanup on cliff *******"

Back