• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ultra light saddle ideas

always89y

Vendor Rep
SH Member
I've been putting together a lite version of the sit and drag, but I like the security or a belt. I added belt loops to this one sense I wear a belt anyway. Figured I can just switch it over before I climb. Have any of you guys tried this?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190422-223109_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190422-223109_Gallery.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 166
  • Screenshot_20190422-223101_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190422-223101_Gallery.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 164
I added elastic loops to mine for a foam pad. Never really used the foam pad but did use the loops with a riggers belt to keep the saddle in place and backup the sit drag.

I wish ripstopbytheroll.com still carried that 1.1oz realtree nylon. I bought a couple of yards of it playing around with an ultralight saddle. The prototypes I made would fit in a shirt pocket! Wish I had bought enough for saddlea, a hammock, and a tarp.

I've thought about playing with a RCH and nylon "hammock" saddle again. I built one that could cover from my knees to my armpits. It was like being swaddled in mother's love.

I wish ripstopbytheroll.com still carried that 1.1oz realtree nylon. I bought a couple of yards of it playing around with an ultralight saddle. The prototypes I made would fit in a shirt pocket! Wish I had bought enough for saddlea, a hammock, and a tarp.

I've thought about playing with a RCH and nylon "hammock" saddle again. I built one that could cover from my knees to my armpits. It was like being swaddled in mother's love.

Ha! Wonder if an actual swaddle would work? I should have probably titled this thread "Ultralight saddle ideas for fat guys", cause I can sure make ripstop to ripstart! My lightweight and your lightweight are worlds apart brother!

Nutterbuster, I noticed that you are a big proponent for using tube webbing as a bridge/tether. Whats the advantage to a webbing bridge vs Amsteel? I looked up a bit, and all I can see is ease of tying on and adjustment. Anything else?

Ha! Wonder if an actual swaddle would work? I should have probably titled this thread "Ultralight saddle ideas for fat guys", cause I can sure make ripstop to ripstart! My lightweight and your lightweight are worlds apart brother!

Nutterbuster, I noticed that you are a big proponent for using tube webbing as a bridge/tether. Whats the advantage to a webbing bridge vs Amsteel? I looked up a bit, and all I can see is ease of tying on and adjustment. Anything else?
You'd be surprised by how tough ripstop is. They make hammocks for heavy-dutybfolks that are pretty much see-through! But I get what you're saying.

You nailed two benefits. In addition to being bama-fan simple to tie on and adjust, tubular webbing is cheap. This is nice up-front, and down the road when it's time to replace it. I also use it for my tether and aiders, so it's multipurpose. And it's actually been intensively studied and tested for use in climbing situations. Amsteel has not been.

I had an amsteel bridge at one point, and didn't like how quickly it "fuzzed up." My tubular bridge has held up much better, and will be quick to replace when the time comes.

Made a couple beta hammock versions out of 1.6 hyper d from ripstop by the roll. Fabric is rated at 300 lbs. took the amsteel bridge off this one but you can see what it weighs with a 1” belt and buckles. Great fabric quiet and great feel to it. Need some fabric glue to seal the cut ends as they fray a bit.

69cddbfb4a9fd89224084b4c675b1e6a.jpg

Here it is with amsteel for bridge.
8a40c41d7f3233cd7436edddd4355c14.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back