• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Use for the metal wire loop on a Ropeman?

Robert

I had a friend tell me the primary use of the metal loop coming off of a Ropeman is to be able to clip it to one's harness to transport the Ropeman when not in use (for rock climbers). Is there another purpose that part of the device has, or may I safely cut it off? I find that in certain one handed situations, the loop binds up on something and requires me to fiddle with it.

I cut mine off. Never have missed them lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just another way to open it under load. Saw a video where guy added paracord instead.

I use mine all of the time when releasing it while moving up. I added a small 550 cord loop to it to help find grab, never had any noise issues. I did have my cable get pulled into the cam and prevent it from locking, which was kinda spooky, easy fix and it hasn't happened since.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I attached a paracord/shrink tube DIY pull tab to mine. Makes grabbing it with thicker gloves a tad easier. My thinking is the pull tab gets your gloved hand away from the cam action, lessening the possibility of getting your glove stuck in the action. I contemplated cutting the wire off and adding the tab directly to the cam, but I liked the wire’s stiffness and it’s ability to keep the tab extended away from the toothed cam and sliding side plates.

Can anyone post pics of their mods to this? I was thinking about how to improve its use my last sit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you read the instructions they say to leash it to your carabiner so you don't drop it I guess... I cut mine off.
sZJUfMe.jpg

cut it off for fear of it making noise against something?

One of mine was starting to rust. I just thought one day that they served no use for me so I cut them off lol. I cut them off last year and honestly never thought about them again. No solid reason really haha.

Reactions: MJH
I cut mine off day one. Thought it may snag on something and open it unexpectantly. But I doubt that would happen. But I never missed it not being there.

One of mine was starting to rust. I just thought one day that they served no use for me so I cut them off lol. I cut them off last year and honestly never thought about them again. No solid reason really haha.

I was using mine so much climbing with it loaded. I rubbed my thumb raw and then tied a piece of paracord to it.

reviving an old thread here... I accidentally marred the pull end of the wire cable loop and I don't want to fully remove it so I'd like to wrap it with paracord. Any recommendations on what type of wrap to use for thin wire like that?

Back