• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Used crossbows

Weldabeast

SH Member
I just recently got a used crossbow from my wife's brother for 50 bucks. What should someone look for when going over a used crossbow? String quality, makes sure the cams look good, maybe run a cotton ball on the limbs? Same as a compound or is there any special area of interest I should be looking like maybe the trigger mechanism? I don't have any bolts anyway but I'm kinda scared of this thing
It's a Horton legend 2....anybody have any experience with that make and model?
I honestly don't know what I'm gonna do with it because u can't hunt with a crossbow on public land here in Florida unless u have disability permit which I don't have/need. So other than target shooting or if I miraculous somehow got permission to hunt private it wouldn't get used much.....unless I got 1 of those kits to convert into a fishing crossbow.
It's heavy....like feels heavier than my rifle or shotgun kinda heavy

I would change the string for sure.

Do the cotton ball on limbs test.

The Horton Legend 2 were popular and most agreed that it has some improvement over the 1. But its a very bread and butter bow, nothing fancy but get the job done.

This is just me, but I would add some type of finger guard, most common issue with older crossbow is new users who were gunners not realizing they are holding it wrong. There are tons of example of people losing their fingers because of this. Newer crossbow designs help prevent this mostly, but accident still happens.

Get a cocking rope/device. Dont try to muscle it with fingers, you'll eat up your finger and you'll actually lose accuracy because your dominant hand will most of the time pull harder and your string will not always rest at the same place on the trigger or misaligned.

I 2nd the idea of a stringer. I'd go ahead and remove and reattach the limb assembly from the stock while you were changing limbs and cables just in case it wasn't snugged up tight when assembled originally. Run a function check and make sure the trigger and safety do their thing and you should be gold. Crossbows are pretty simple.

If you're new to crossbows, the biggest thing I have seen people mess up is either using the wrong nock system or failing to properly seat the bolt. I'm not at all familiar with the history of Horton since Tenpoint acquired them about the time I started working in the business and they shared triggers, safeties, and the proprietary tenpoint nock from that point on along with some other things. Just make sure you use the right bolts, index them right, and always make sure they're snug to the string. Otherwise you'll miss if you're lucky and dryfire if you're not. Most compound bows are dryfire proof today, but many crossbows still take offense at it.

I just recently got a used crossbow from my wife's brother for 50 bucks. What should someone look for when going over a used crossbow? String quality, makes sure the cams look good, maybe run a cotton ball on the limbs? Same as a compound or is there any special area of interest I should be looking like maybe the trigger mechanism? I don't have any bolts anyway but I'm kinda scared of this thing
It's a Horton legend 2....anybody have any experience with that make and model?
I honestly don't know what I'm gonna do with it because u can't hunt with a crossbow on public land here in Florida unless u have disability permit which I don't have/need. So other than target shooting or if I miraculous somehow got permission to hunt private it wouldn't get used much.....unless I got 1 of those kits to convert into a fishing crossbow.
It's heavy....like feels heavier than my rifle or shotgun kinda heavy
I was about to say you can’t use it for Florida archery then I noticed you already said that lol….
I’ve never hunted with one and shot them a hand full of times. The crossbows I held weigh more than rifles so they never really interested me

Yes to all the above info. and get yourself some good bowstring wax and "rail lube" Most Xbows like that rely on the rail to guide the arrow require lubing the rail every five shots. Bohning makes a nice one I like that isn't waxy or goopy it is a thin solvent that has an applicator similar to a roll on deodorant at a much smaller diameter. Instead of directly applying it, I alcohol wipe each rail and then take my clean forefinger and put the solvent on it and wipe it down each rail. It saves overuse of this particular brand of rail lube and it is easier to apply and you don't risk getting gunk on the applicator.

Back