• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Used Recurve Bow value

GeoFish

SH Member
Does anyone have a feel for what a used Recurve bow in very good condition is worth based on a percentage of a new bow cost?

It really depends on the bow. I don't believe most bows drop below the 50% value, but most sell for 65-85% of value depending on demand and age. some of the best ways to find a price are to check on the stickbow classifieds, google to see what others sold theirs for, check facebook classifieds, etc.

Are we talking a widow or a sage here? big difference...

Custom recurves.
Gotcha. Some people don't love having someone else's name on a bow if the make made it for "x" custom. That tends to bring the value down a little from what I've seen. Some makers are quite desirable as they no longer manufacture, or are dead... Some longbows like Ellburg's bring more than what he sold them for new as well...

Custom recurve bows usually sell pretty high as used if they are desirable. Sometimes near full price. Custom orders take a long time to get. If you buy a nice one used, it will always keep its value.

Be careful of expecting any bow to hold it's value. Send it hunting with me for a year and the dings and scratches will dissuade buyers from giving you top dollar for it. I'm hard on equipment.

Back