• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Using a Kayak to get to your spot -Advice

Arkie

SH Member
I scouted a new piece of public ground back in June and hung some cameras on some heavy trails and near bedding areas. They’re cell cams so I’ve not been in there since June and I’ve not gotten any pictures of any other hunters. I’ve got 4 shooter (to me anyway) bucks traveling through in the daytime. I’ve attached a snippet of a portion of the property. It’s long and skinny and runs along a river. It’s surrounded by private or the river almost completely with a very small section that’s accessible. To get to the spots I’ve got marked, it’s a 1.5-2 mile walk one way, which is fine except you walk through a lot of other good areas on your way in. It’s swampy as well and the dried debris that washes from the river makes for some loud footsteps. I’m thinking that the best way in is using my kayak; still about a 2 mile paddle down river. For you guys that use kayaks to get in, how far from your spot do you park on the bank, how do you secure your kayak, do you lock it, cover it, etc...

Thanks in advance for any tips you’re willing to share.

02eab44d226664a365404ff6443f6e72.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I take it as close to my stand as possible so I’m disturbing less in the woods. Can’t say I’ve ever noticed a deer blow simply from the canoe or skiff. Where I go there’s nobody else using the waterway typically. So might be worth pulling it up the bank a little, locking it, etc, depending on your judgment of the people around that may mess with it. I just have some tidal influence so I just pull up and tie off securely.

Spencer

This is my first year using my yak for access, so I'm no pro.

I bank my yak as close to where I'm sitting as possible. I don't want the deer to be able to see it, but I like to be able to see it from my tree. After getting it mostly on the bank, I tie my anchor rope to a tree and leave my anchor on the bank, just in case. I have not locked it or covered it yet.

The biggest thing I've learned is spend some extra time packing your stuff, ensuring you evenly distribute your weight, and making sure to have gear that must stay dry (like clothes) are in dry bags. I've spent two cold hunts due to clothes getting dumped in once and having water come up through my scupper holes once.

how fast is the current? are you worried about going against it to get back? I have accessed through kayak many times and it can be hard to get all your stuff on it but not to bad.

how fast is the current? are you worried about going against it to get back? I have accessed through kayak many times and it can be hard to get all your stuff on it but not to bad.

The river is decent size, but it doesn’t have a strong current. I’ve paddled up it before while fishing. I’ve got a ton of room on my kayak(Jackson YuPik); I pack pretty light so that’s not a big concern. I was more concerned with how close to bank it and potential theft, which I’m probably worrying about too much. It’s probably unlikely any fishermen passing through via boat would take it.

The river is decent size, but it doesn’t have a strong current. I’ve paddled up it before while fishing. I’ve got a ton of room on my kayak(Jackson YuPik); I pack pretty light so that’s not a big concern. I was more concerned with how close to bank it and potential theft, which I’m probably worrying about too much. It’s probably unlikely any fishermen passing through via boat would take it.

i try to hide mine. i dont want to pull it up a ton but i flip it over and drap it on shore. atleast you know you can still get back if something does happen to it. If you are worred about it get a small bike lock and just leave it on the yak all the time.

I park as close as possible if it is thick woods. Be really careful getting your bow and pack off our kayak they are so loud when you hit anything against them.

Back