• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Using lights??

High8

Hi guys I am new here and to saddle hunting. I have never used lights going in or out of the woods with the worries of spooking deer. With that said, being so new to the saddle world I really think I might want to use a head lamp while setting up and taking down for at least a good while until I am 100% confident is my setting ups. Do any of you veteran saddle hunters use head lamps while in the woods, and if so do you feel it bothers the deer?
Thanks Matt

I usually try and avoid using lights going in and out personally. If I do use lights, I usually use my head lamp in the green light option.

From what I've seen with north Florida public land deer they aren't too terribly worried /scared by the light.... Walking in last season there were 2 doe in my path between me and my tree....I had my headlamp on green mode....they looked over in my direction for a minute then slowly walked off....I was roughly 50-60yds....I climbed up my tree and saw 2 doe at first light. I can't be 100% but I think the 2 deer I seen in the light were the same 2 I saw with the headlamp earlier

I definitely would not be using one walking in,its setting up that I am thinking would be great to be able to see what I am doing.

I like a bright white headlamp. Let's me scout like it's daytime. I've climbed with headlamp on with deer browsing in bow range and could have shot them at first light. Some of the spots I hunt would be nearly impossible to get to in the dark without a light. Can't even see your compass 2 feet in front of your face on a new moon. Sometimes I use the dim red or green light pointed at the ground just to avoid being seen by other hunters. Rarely do I walk in without any light for fear of some dummy shooting at movement.

Last season I was heading to a spot and was running a little late. So I was trekking it down a trail with headlamp on full bright making a lot of noise when I practically ran over a doe. She had no idea what I was and let me get within 10 feet. It was only when she circled down wind that my presence became a problem.

Take from that what you want, but for me I'm going full bright everytime unless I'm chasing turkeys.

I always use a white light walking in. I've walked right up to deer that didn't seem bothered as well as spooked the hell out of them. Just depends on the deer I guess.
You guys that don't need a light must have some cat in your blood or something

A lot of the places I hunt during early season have water moccasins, I always use a light walking in, I would rather bump a deer than be bowed up for the rest of the season. Most of the big bucks I have shot have been after 11:00 am, I think the deer are more afraid of noise than light. If you are going yo spook a deer going in with a light, chances are you are going to spook the deer just the same by making noise anyway. I once crawled in a ground blind in the dark and after I got set up and relaxed in my chair, I noticed a rattlesnake exiting the blind about 3 minutes after I already had my bow sitting on my lap. That was the last time I ever walked in without a light

I try to avoid using the light as much as possible, but you'll definitely want to have one. When I generally know the terrain/path, I like the red light since it doesn't stand out too much. I've used green, and it certainly lights things up better than red, but it seems to be so close to white light that I just stick with white when I need that much visibility. Subjectively, I seem to get more deer blowing at me when using white or green than red.

A lot of the places I hunt during early season have water moccasins, I always use a light walking in, I would rather bump a deer than be bowed up for the rest of the season. Most of the big bucks I have shot have been after 11:00 am, I think the deer are more afraid of noise than light. If you are going yo spook a deer going in with a light, chances are you are going to spook the deer just the same by making noise anyway. I once crawled in a ground blind in the dark and after I got set up and relaxed in my chair, I noticed a rattlesnake exiting the blind about 3 minutes after I already had my bow sitting on my lap. That was the last time I ever walked in without a light
No venomous snakes up here in Maine. I like to sneak in at first light and very seldom use a light coming out. The minute you turn it on you lose your night vision. Most nights you have enough light from from the moon but on those really pitch dark nights I will use a very small single led light that gives me just enough light to see. Sounds like you guys are rushing too much. Slowing down helps get you in and out safe. I’m lucky though as I only have a couple hundred yards to go to get to most all of my stands. Good luck this season and be safe.

No venomous snakes up here in Maine. I like to sneak in at first light and very seldom use a light coming out. The minute you turn it on you lose your night vision. Most nights you have enough light from from the moon but on those really pitch dark nights I will use a very small single led light that gives me just enough light to see. Sounds like you guys are rushing too much. Slowing down helps get you in and out safe. I’m lucky though as I only have a couple hundred yards to go to get to most all of my stands. Good luck this season and be safe.
The woods are so thick in the spots I go it would be next to impossible to make ur way thru without some light source.... I've encountered venomous snakes and alligators on more than 1 occasion ....if I am hunting the marsh I can get away with no light but still gotta be extra careful of oyster bar....I have my headlamp with my always and I got extra light back at the truck if needed....bright large flashlight and a lantern with some extra kerosene just in case

Last year I walked up on a fork horn rubbing a tree with my white light on. Got to about 10y and he just trotted of and I saw him again later that morning. On the opposite side of the spectrum, I was up in PA for rifle opener last year, I got up to height in my climber and adjusted my hat and my head lamp popped off, still on and landed below me shining on a bush. It was getting close to gray light and I could hear deer coming. So I sat still, they (2 deer, 1 small and one very large body) got about 10y of me behind a pine and started stomping and pacing back and forth looking at the light. They ended up busting out and running a big loop to come back around later in the morning. I’m almost certain my brother shot the big one, about a 130-140” perfect mature 8 point... the other was a button buck. So win some and loose some I guess

Exactly! I always wear glasses (either prescription lenses or safety glasses) when going through the woods in the dark. Even with a light on. No more twigs in the eye for me.
I started needing reading glasses a while back. After taking twigs in the eye more than once going through thick cover in low light, I picked up a pair of safety glasses with lenses that have built in readers, and they've been awesome for both protecting my eyes and helping me read my GPS/Map/Compass/Phone when needed: Cheap protection! Link is here: Dewalt Bifocal Safety Glasses

Hi guys I am new here and to saddle hunting. I have never used lights going in or out of the woods with the worries of spooking deer. With that said, being so new to the saddle world I really think I might want to use a head lamp while setting up and taking down for at least a good while until I am 100% confident is my setting ups. Do any of you veteran saddle hunters use head lamps while in the woods, and if so do you feel it bothers the deer?
Thanks Matt
@High8 - Great question to start this thread. Welcome from CT! BTW, that's a GREAT photo of your little one in a saddle ... Makes me smile!

Back