• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Utilibridge attachment concern

Tobey660

SH Member
Hey guys I have a question for you more seasoned saddle hunters. I am making a bridge out of 8mm oplux and my buddy did the same but he attached his with 7/64 Amstel continues loops and I have some of these. My question is this strong enough? I know Amstel is strong but should I use a larger size loop? My friends bites hard and he has had no issues. I am too old to bounce off the ground.

Thanks that is what I was thinking but wasn't sure. I thought about Amstel for the bridge also but already had the 8mm oplux. Thanks for the info. You guy's are awesome.

Yah nah brother, 3/16” for that continuous loop. Wouldn’t go any smaller than that. Your buddy should go on Sampson’s website and look up the break strengths of 7/64 amsteel, if he’s got a lick of sense he will go larger too.

I told him it seemed too small to me. But he is a risk taker and said I worry too much. I would rather be safe since tree climbing is dangerous anyway. Plus like I said I'm too old to be falling from 20 ft up

Yah nah brother, 3/16” for that continuous loop. Wouldn’t go any smaller than that. Your buddy should go on Sampson’s website and look up the break strengths of 7/64 amsteel, if he’s got a lick of sense he will go larger too.
1600 lbs

bro we can go back and forth all day but I won’t. Good luck with your rig man

Safety discussions always go back and forth. In the end, we're responsible for our own. Don't decide without educating yourself, or do. It's your decision.

Hey guys I have a question for you more seasoned saddle hunters. I am making a bridge out of 8mm oplux and my buddy did the same but he attached his with 7/64 Amstel continues loops and I have some of these. My question is this strong enough? I know Amstel is strong but should I use a larger size loop? My friends bites hard and he has had no issues. I am too old to bounce off the ground.

There are some very knowledgeable people that make pretty convincing arguments that Amsteel of any size shouldn't be used for life support. 7/64 Amsteel shouldn't even be in the conversation.

Also a spliced continuous loop of amsteel is significantly weaker than a piece of amsteel by itself.

And this is another can of worms but that calculator assumes you are wearing a fall arrest device which a hunting saddle is not.

At the end of the day to bring this back on topic there is zero advantage in using such a thin diameter loop. And ‘this is what I had on hand so I don’t have to spend more money’ isn’t an advantage. It’s being lazy and willfully negligent.

What does the "stopping/fall arrestor distance" of 1' mean in that calculator?

What part of your saddle hunting system does that refer to?
Basically seems to be the amount of "stretch" in your system. For saddle hunting, we have none... I don't think that's an appropriate calculator for our application (biased way low).

There are some very knowledgeable people that make pretty convincing arguments that Amsteel of any size shouldn't be used for life support. 7/64 Amsteel shouldn't even be in the conversation.
I think I'm going to agree with that argument. I just ordered 6mm trc from dano that's supposed to be used with 8mm oplux.

Back