• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

VA Public Land - George Washington National Forest

EverettJ89

I'm looking to branch out this coming season, and try my hand at chasing bucks in the GW National Forest. I plan on making a 3-4 day trip in Highland County, as I am familiar with the area, but am also looking to hunt the GWNF closer to home in the northern mountains (Day trips/overnighters etc.).

I plan on doing some camping in the areas im interested in this summer, and again to scout in September. Does anyone have any experience in these areas? Areas of promise or to avoid, recent timber operations in the areas? Any lessons learned when you were starting out in the GWNF?

Can't wait for them to open the public lands back up and to get out and hunt these areas this year!

Thanks,

I havnt ventured to Highland County but have hunted Allegheny, Craig, Botetourt, Montgomery. They all seem to have good deer populations. Some really good deer come from each county each year. My personal opinion on hunting the national Forrest is getting into a spot first. Pay attention to how others enter the hunting area and possibly use that to your advantage. Get a little further back in the woods than most and you probably won’t be bothered. Early Muzzleloader season and rifle are probably hunted the hardest.

If I can help ya out in any way let me know.
Good luck

Good stuff, I have read so many conflicting reports on the deer populations, their behaviors etc. Bought some solid maps of the areas I am interested in, and plan on spending a few weekends this summer/early fall camping and scouting the spots that look promising to me on the map. Right now, the plan is to target higher elevations, further in off the roads/trails, where main/secondary ridges overlook creeks/springs, and difficult to access public land adjacent to private farm land.

I have found in the mountains water sources are not a big deal. There are so many little springs everywhere and the animals know where they are. When we are hiking we look for good clean water, animals don't care. The rest of your plan sounds dead on.

Not a problem man. The tactics and baseline for hunting deer are the same, food, water, bedding, and the rut. What changes is where we decide to hunt.

Back