• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Venison bolgogi - Korean BBQ

gcr0003

SH Member
I have some strips of venison soaking in a marinade of soy sauce, sesame seed oil, ginger, and garlic for a couple days. I’m going to try it out like I normally do bolgogi on the grill. I’ll probably try to just sear it on each side very quick since they’re next to 0 fat. I’ll serve it with a bed of rice and some of my favorite spicy kimchi. Pics to come. Who has tried something like this?

Last edited:
Not the same but similar was shaken Venison, Vietnamese inspiration I think. Marinade was just salt pepper sugar and oil. But the sauce was soy sauce fish sauce oyster sauce garlic ginger lime juice and some sugar. Cook the meat hot and fast then add onions peppers and the sauce and mix it all up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My personal take is that's too long to marinade and in a marinade there should be a source of sweetener (sugar/honey, maple syrup, agave, etc) as well, a touch of acid. Asian pear is traditional in this recipe and only mildly acidic so it can hold up to a longer marinade than I prefer. But a couple of days seems excessive. I don't see much value in a marinade much longer than 3hours.

I've had venison cooked after long soaks in soy/worcestershire based marinades and the meat basically tasted like soy/worcestershire.

We all have our personal tastes. Just sharing mine.

My personal take is that's too long to marinade and in a marinade there should be a source of sweetener (sugar/honey, maple syrup, agave, etc) as well, a touch of acid. Asian pear is traditional in this recipe and only mildly acidic so it can hold up to a longer marinade than I prefer. But a couple of days seems excessive. I don't see much value in a marinade much longer than 3hours.

I've had venison cooked after long soaks in soy/worcestershire based marinades and the meat basically tasted like soy/worcestershire.

We all have our personal tastes. Just sharing mine.
Well the bulgogi we use to buy at the store was refrigerated in marinade for idk how many weeks so I figured it wouldn’t hurt anything. In this case I do want it to taste like Korean bbq which has a lot of flavor from the marinade. It may be awful, I’m really just freestyling.

I know my paper plating looks awesome sorry. The venison marinade wasn’t quite bulgogi flavor but the meat turned out real tender. I got poured on as I was grilling so I didn’t get the little bit of sear I had planned for. I would alter the marinade a little and give it another go for sure.EB3466B4-B98B-4DA4-800C-21E9FF43AB2E.jpeg

20b218bad2c5fe6daab809bd9fa8e973.jpg

When you’re mom cooks and she’s South Korean! I get it almost every week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back