• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Versa aider

Bat013

What would be y’all’s opinion between a Versa aider, fixed aiders, or moveable aiders?
I have done a lot of research and like the idea of the Versa aider, but I would like to hear some other opinions from those that have used them. I am brand new to saddle hunting so it’s all a learning experience.

Personally I’m not a fan of any aider that I have to step into. I prefer one cinched to my foot. Versa or Swaider style only for me.

I have a versa aider. I am going to try a CAYG aider again but put a castration band around it to keep on my foot with nothing in the webbing to keep it open. I have been practicing with the versa aider and still find it a little sketchy coming down in the dark trying to get the loop over the versa button at mid step down.

I have no desire to hook a loop on the versa button that already has my amsteel wrapped and cinched. Just don't feel like it's as safe as hooking my cayg aider over the top step and post of stick that you can see and know its secure before you step down. I haven't tried one so I'm not one to pass judgement but the thought of coming down in the dark and hooking a loop on to a tiny button already occupied by whatever means you have attached stick to tree is questionable to me. I also feel way safer using castration bands on my aider as a cinch. If you were to slip the bands wouldn't tighten to your foot but relax enough to get your foot out of aider instead of tightenin down like a noose with no way to get out without taking weight off. Just my thoughts

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I don't have one and have not used one but It seems to me that when you hang a Versa Aider on a Versa Button you are applying a lot of force in a direction that the button and its hardware were not really designed for--It may be alright but I'm not sure I would be comfortable with it until some testing has been done to prove what kind of loads the Versa Buttons are capable of in the downward direction. If any testing has been done then I am not aware of it...
Rick

I want to switch to it. I can’t find any DIY videos and the ones for sale are just a little too pricey for me.

Add a couple o-rings, bungee cord, & biner.

Attachments

• 0F0DDF9F-5594-41D8-A339-F091F23A7823.png
    0F0DDF9F-5594-41D8-A339-F091F23A7823.png
    608.5 KB · Views: 93
I have not tried the versa aider yet. I really like the cable aiders. I added them to my beast sticks. I also made a sweet set of full length lone wolf sticks with a 22” cable aider. I added double steps and stealth stripped them. I can get 18.5’ with three sticks. As of right now I think that is what I’m probably gonna use most this year.

I also am a bit concerned with putting downward weight (200 lbs in my case) on the versa button. It looks like a cool idea though.

I have not tried the versa aider yet. I really like the cable aiders. I added them to my beast sticks. I also made a sweet set of full length lone wolf sticks with a 22” cable aider. I added double steps and stealth stripped them. I can get 18.5’ with three sticks. As of right now I think that is what I’m probably gonna use most this year.

I also am a bit concerned with putting downward weight (200 lbs in my case) on the versa button. It looks like a cool idea though.
Eastern Woods sells aluminum versa buttons. They would be better than the plastic.

DanO's versa buttons are good. I use the versa aider from backwoods mobile gear and it works really well. Was climbing today and had taken my accessory strap out of my back pack so I girth hitched the versa aider around the tree and used an s hook to hang my back pack up on the versa aider paracord loop.

I want to switch to it. I can’t find any DIY videos and the ones for sale are just a little too pricey for me.

So easy to make, you prob have everything you need already. Some webbing , a little amsteel, and the bungee release is cool! I made one today, used a fall relief suspension strap from a stand works great and since it was like a sewn daisy chain already it cinches to my foot (which i like way more than c-band.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So easy to make, you prob have everything you need already. Some webbing , a little amsteel, and the bungee release is cool! I made one today, used a fall relief suspension strap from a stand works great and since it was like a sewn daisy chain already it cinches to my foot (which i like way more than c-band.)

whst do you mean by bungee release? Can you post a pic so I can try to replicate yours? I do have all that material you listed on hand.

whst do you mean by bungee release? Can you post a pic so I can try to replicate yours? I do have all that material you listed on hand.
Search for Mike isbell video of versa aider. I'll try to find link i can post.

So that fall relief strap is like a sewn webbing daisy chain, that gives me a little length adjustment if needed (girth hitch through different loops). Made a continuous loop of amsteel through the top loop of chain, then added a little bungee cord through top also and tied to a biner that attaches to my waist strap and saddle. With a little trial and error (based on what a comfortable step length for you) you can tie that bungee so the tension of it will automatically lift the continuous loop off the versa button as you step up!

Wow that video is awesome. Now I’m torn between a versa aider and the cable aiders from Eastern Woods Outdoors.

Back