• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Vortex

Ckwilli

SH Member
My wife bought me a pair of vortex diamondback binos for Christmas. I thought they all came with the glass pack but these didn’t. She said she got a killer deal either way. Anyone use the glass pack? Have you been satisfied with it? I’m thinking about ordering something similar or maybe the glass pack.

I have the vortex glass pack, and have been using it a few years now. I like the size and side pockets on it - I keep my wind detector and crossbow cocker in the sides. It also has a zip in the back, nice for places where you have a paper tag. My only complaint is that the hook and elastic piece that's supposed to keep the lid down doesn't work very well. Almost every time I bend over to tie boots or something, the lid comes open and my stuff falls out the top (it's retained by the built in lanyards but still annoying). If I had a redo, I'd probably pay a little more for something with better lid retention. If budget is a big concern (or you don't bend/lean over at the waist much) the vortex is fine.

I have the vortex glass pack, and have been using it a few years now. I like the size and side pockets on it - I keep my wind detector and crossbow cocker in the sides. It also has a zip in the back, nice for places where you have a paper tag. My only complaint is that the hook and elastic piece that's supposed to keep the lid down doesn't work very well. Almost every time I bend over to tie boots or something, the lid comes open and my stuff falls out the top (it's retained by the built in lanyards but still annoying). If I had a redo, I'd probably pay a little more for something with better lid retention. If budget is a big concern (or you don't bend/lean over at the waist much) the vortex is fine.
Thanks! I just read several reviews where people said the same thing. One reviewer said his binos were being sent in for repair because they fell out.

If you call Vortex they'll likely send you one for free. I don't use mine except for storage. I use a diy Rick Young style harness, instructions below:

If your in a position where you can buy one ind recommend the marsupial gear harness instead.

Opens away from you and stay open while your one stand, allowing you to quickly pull binow in and out without having to mess with the flap

X2

Maybe it's the way I'm built but it seems like they want to ride with the top tipped forward a little so it doesn't take much to dump them out. If they didn't come with the binos I'd try something else.

I've used several harnesses. I have been through 3 glasspacks. The best part about the glasspack is that vortex will warranty that POS. Lol.

Look at a mystery ranch, eberlestock, marsupial gear or FHF. You'll be glad you avoided the headache in my experience. If it didn't come with the glasspack, go ahead and spring for something a little better. MR sells on camofire all the time and you can get theirs for about $20 more than a glasspack.

I've used several harnesses. I have been through 3 glasspacks. The best part about the glasspack is that vortex will warranty that POS. Lol.

Look at a mystery ranch, eberlestock, marsupial gear or FHF. You'll be glad you avoided the headache in my experience. If it didn't come with the glasspack, go ahead and spring for something a little better. MR sells on camofire all the time and you can get theirs for about $20 more than a glasspack.
Wow, that’s good to know

I contacted vortex and apparently my binos are the older ones that didn’t come with a glass pack even though Bass Pro is still selling them as new. Maybe new old stock or something. Anyway they are sending me one for no cost! thanks @Kayl for the heads up.

What is different about the new coming FHF bino harness compared with the current one? Curious....
It’s a total redesign. Opens towards the front and has some additional options that make it much nicer. I am not under an NDA but I was also asked to not take photos of it or really say too much. It’s nothing amazingly ground breaking but they just basically listened to hunters feedback. It will also have the ability to connect to an integrated small backpack as well.

Verken Group also has one coming out as well.

It’s a total redesign. Opens towards the front and has some additional options that make it much nicer. I am not under an NDA but I was also asked to not take photos of it or really say too much. It’s nothing amazingly ground breaking but they just basically listened to hunters feedback. It will also have the ability to connect to an integrated small backpack as well.

Verken Group also has one coming out as well.

Were you able to compare the fhf to a marsupial?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back