• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Wanted to hunt this weekend but it's probably a bad idea.

robstewart

One of the things I have to be aware of is the time and energy involved if, by some miracle, I actually tag a deer! Unfortunately this weekend I have to work Sunday starting at noon and then I've got extra long days all week. I was excited about heading out Saturday morning but I have come to the realization that if I were to tag a deer Saturday I just don't have the bandwidth to deal with it after the fact. I think tomorrow I'm going to go sight in my squirrel gun and then see if I can bag a few and make a squirrel pie.

Am I being overly cautious?

One of the things I have to be aware of is the time and energy involved if, by some miracle, I actually tag a deer! Unfortunately this weekend I have to work Sunday starting at noon and then I've got extra long days all week. I was excited about heading out Saturday morning but I have come to the realization that if I were to tag a deer Saturday I just don't have the bandwidth to deal with it after the fact. I think tomorrow I'm going to go sight in my squirrel gun and then see if I can bag a few and make a squirrel pie.

Am I being overly cautious?
It depends on situation & weather..... if you can hang them & stay cool for a day or 2 until you break it down then absolutely! It can sit in a cooler for a few more until you have time to a actually process..... if I shoot a deer on Saturday it’s usually not actually in the freezer until late the following week or even the weekend....... man if I had a big walk in it would be on!!!

Go hunting. Always go hunting. Nobody ever sat on a hospital bed with tubes in their nose and fluorescent lights flickering and said, "I wish I could go to work just one more time."

You'll go, you'll have fun, maybe you'll shoot something. You'll find a way to get it cut up and on ice. And you'll be tired but happy. Or you'll go, take a nap in the tree, and see nothing.

But that being said, squirrel hunting is fun too.

Unless you have some sort of medical issue where it’s unsafe then absolutely go hunting. We started our split family holiday tour last Sunday evening. Tomorrow I have to be at my dad’s for thanksgiving with him at 1:00. I’ll have to make it a quick hunt tomorrow morning but I will hunt. I try to make the family gatherings but never miss hunting because I might be tired at work. I just wish we could celebrate Christmas and thanksgiving in July so I wouldn’t have to lose a half day of hunting every weekend from mid November all the way to New Year’s Day.

Not to be different or anything, but if it ain't fun and enjoyable then why do it.

Example....
I am on a park hunt right now and there is hardly any sign, and I don't have many miles logged into boots on the ground scouting. I'm sure if I decide to apply next year I'll put more effort into this hunt, but I have scouted so many other properties and logged way more miles this year than I ever have. I've spread myself pretty thin as far as trying different properties and this one just kinda got put on the back burner.

Don't get me wrong, I love being out in the woods and scouting and bumping deer, but I would much rather be running around the yard chasing my 2 year old and listening to her silly little giggle.

Point is.....
If it sounds like fun and you are going to enjoy hunting, wether you kill or not, then go. If you kill you'll find a way to cross that bridge when you get there.

If it sounds more like a chore and your not going to give it the best ya got, then go squirrel hunting, or whatever it is you wanna do. It's your free time and as a working man you only get so much of it so outta do whatever you want.

Have a viable plan, but that can be
"Use a processor just this once"
Or
"It's cold enough to let it hang a week or 5"

Make sure you have enough bandwidth for a reasonably anticipated recovery, plus something ypu can do to handle the meat.

Like others have said. Cross that bridge when you get there. But if it's going to be cold enough, hang it, if not, quarter it and stick it in a cooler. At the worst, pay a processor. I'm bad about making excuses not to go myself like it's too windy, rainy, I'm too tired, etc. Unfortunately, I haven't figured out how to kill deer from the couch yet.

Like others have said. Cross that bridge when you get there. But if it's going to be cold enough, hang it, if not, quarter it and stick it in a cooler. At the worst, pay a processor. I'm bad about making excuses not to go myself like it's too windy, rainy, I'm too tired, etc. Unfortunately, I haven't figured out how to kill deer from the couch yet.

You just gotta put your couch in the right spot

I tagged my KS buck on Sunday night. I deboned him and put him into a cooler. Processed him last night. I usually leave in cooler for 5-7 days on ice. Hunt or not to hunt... HUNT!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you find yourself thinking next week or some point down the line, "Damn, I should've went out to hunt that Saturday" then you'll know if you made the right choice or not.

Like others have said, if you're blessed enough to tag a deer than you'll figure something out, regardless of the circumstances.

Not to be different or anything, but if it ain't fun and enjoyable then why do it.

Example....
I am on a park hunt right now and there is hardly any sign, and I don't have many miles logged into boots on the ground scouting. I'm sure if I decide to apply next year I'll put more effort into this hunt, but I have scouted so many other properties and logged way more miles this year than I ever have. I've spread myself pretty thin as far as trying different properties and this one just kinda got put on the back burner.

Don't get me wrong, I love being out in the woods and scouting and bumping deer, but I would much rather be running around the yard chasing my 2 year old and listening to her silly little giggle.

Point is.....
If it sounds like fun and you are going to enjoy hunting, wether you kill or not, then go. If you kill you'll find a way to cross that bridge when you get there.

If it sounds more like a chore and your not going to give it the best ya got, then go squirrel hunting, or whatever it is you wanna do. It's your free time and as a working man you only get so much of it so outta do whatever you want.

I like how you think! I tend to get obsessed and then disappointed. It leads to me feeling mad at myself for not going out deer hunting instead of enjoying laying in bed drinking coffee with my bride at my side...etc.

Anyway it turned out to be a busy day. My daughter is getting her first car so most of the morning was on the phone with insurance companies getting quotes, then driving with her to where the car is to drop off money etc.

Instead of worrying I wasn’t in the woods I gave my head a shake and just enjoyed her excitement!

Of course when we went to pay I had my rifle in the car so when I dropped her back home to get ready for work I went to the club and zeroed my scope for the ammo.

The club is where I saw some deer sign and bumped a buck so with 2 hours left I headed down the trail with a low quality squirrel feeder I made. I hung it on a tree and filled it 25 yards from where I plan to hide.

Then I slowly scouted the area since we’ve had snow lately. I found lots of sign including some good sized tracks leading in and out of the bedding area. I now have a plan and 2 or 3 trees that would work to set up on!

By letting go and just enjoying things as they unfolded it turned out to be a good day!

It needs to be a lot colder for my garage to he fridge temperature. Breaking it down into coolers would have worked.

In the end as I posted above it was a good day and gave me hope for this coming weekend!

Wish I had used more caution and not shot the button buck 5 minutes before dark Saturday night a mile from the truck...:disrelieved::rolleyes:o_O

As I like to say, “That’s a good problem!”

If you get a deer you can quarter it out and put it in the refrigerator until you have time . I don't know if you have ever done that but it doesn't take long to skin and quarter a deer. I been sick and I dying to get out and hunt . I would go hunting .

Back