• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Waterproof Spotlight for Canoe/Boat Nav

Nutterbuster

SH Member
In the past I've always gotten by with a strong headlamp, but the wide beam means most of the light gets reflected back off my bow and obscures whatever I'm about to run into. Looking for a light that is:

Reliable

Brighter than strong sunlight reflecting off of Vin Diesel's head

Waterproof

Rechargeable

Runs on internal batteries (no desire for a 60lb deep cycle in the canoe)

Not opposed to green/red light if it's strong enough for me to be able to spot stumps and logs floating down the river in time to avoid crashing a canoe going 10mph into them.

Whatchoo gear heads got?

I used to distribute Pelican gear, and they made some awesome dive/waterproof lights. HAvent checked out their offering in a while though.

I used to distribute Pelican gear, and they made some awesome dive/waterproof lights. HAvent checked out their offering in a while though.
Pelican is on the list. Maglite also apparently got with the times and now makes a light with a lithium rechargeable battery that puts out 1,000 lumens for 3 hours and comes with the car and wall charger. If you can still adjust the beam like with the old ones, that might be killer. $90 on amazon

Waterproof like submersible? If not, then I would say look at bicycle headlights. Cygolite is my preferred brand and they have some megabright lights aimed at mtnbikers.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Here is what I strap to my kayak/paddleboard for night adventures with a small lithium ion battery, size of a softball.

Bowfishing snakehead fish was the reason.
49e8f82852a22bc15afadad78cf3e779.jpg
a81d64d13b131c41d456d3f262a3344e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Here is what I strap to my kayak/paddleboard for night adventures with a small lithium ion battery, size of a softball.

Bowfishing snakehead fish was the reason.
49e8f82852a22bc15afadad78cf3e779.jpg
a81d64d13b131c41d456d3f262a3344e.jpg

How much runt time you get off that battery?

Are you looking for a hand held or headlamp?
Hand held. A headlamp has the problem of illuminating the boat, making the water seem dark in comparison. I want a narrow beam, and the ability to sweep left and right. Don't want a boat mounted light because I might want to be able to scout out a route to the sides and not commit until I see whats there. IE, don't wanna have to point the canoe to point the light

I’ve wanted to do something like this for my yak for duck hunting. And I think you have just showed me how to do It.
Glad to help, I didn't want them permanently on the boat, also I wanted to be able to shore or surf fish with some light so the old Coleman cooler got drilled.

Hand held. A headlamp has the problem of illuminating the boat, making the water seem dark in comparison. I want a narrow beam, and the ability to sweep left and right. Don't want a boat mounted light because I might want to be able to scout out a route to the sides and not commit until I see whats there. IE, don't wanna have to point the canoe to point the light
I have the rigid industries 800 lumen handheld light I’ve had it for years and it’s my go too light. But it does have a wide and very bright Beam. Not complete waterproof but I’ve fully submerged it a few times with no issues . The issue I have with it though is that it won’t run till the battery is completely dead it will start flashing when the batteries get low which can be aggravating. I also find for me I like using a Good red light or green light in the scenario that your in works best the red may not seem to shine far and really make objects pop but it doesn’t blind you from reflecting off other objects like water and such.

Motorized. Paddling I am fine with a headlamp, because I can't hit anything hard enough to flip me.
I’d honestly in that case after seeing Wyatt_burp’s set up I’d run 2 cube lights (spot flood combo) with that battery set up.

Back