• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

WE Step Platform Tweak

Peterk1234

I really need hunting season to start so I stop thinking about these things for a while. So I'm home for lunch and this thought pops in my head. Why not add a bracket to the rope on the WE Step? I gotta say, it is on there pretty tight with a really positive cam over on the step. This could be a nice way to add a foot placement around the tree instead of struggling with a third or fourth step. It works well with the bracket, probably because it is fairly wide. Would someone be kind enough to try it with an ameristep? I wonder if the rope gets tight enough for it as well. Pete

20180911_120742.jpg

I have a Predator platform on the way. I would assume it would work with that as-well, Cant wait to put it to the test.

After I typed that I just remembered that strap on the Predator will sit higher than the base. I currently use my Wildedge Stepps or my Ernies platform. I'll try it on them.

Last edited:
I have some ameristeps loose, but I don't know that the strap hole is wide enough to fit the WE rope through there. I was actually thinking about buying some 3mm amsteel to try and use the steps as a climbing method again.

I'll give it a look when I get home. Highly doubt I can thread that rope through there. The rope would definitely get tight enough though.

Man - two of those brackets on one WE rope would be slicker than snot - what if you went with a lone wolf strap like the cheap knockoffs, and threaded two brackets on?

So here are two vids on two different trees. @kyler1945 , yes I could easily add a second bracket. I am setting two steps very easily for a platform, so most of the time I think I will only need one of these to be able to have 360 degree shooting. But time will tell. When cammed over tight, this works well. It is very easy to thread the bracket on and off for use, and it appears that using a pinky to thumb measurement plus another inch or so is a great distance to set it.

I'm actually thinking the opposite of you - drop a little 4x6 platform on top of two brackets, and put the stepp on the backside of the tree. What I have in mind is to use it with the web or treesuit. I'm learning that all of the platform style platforms leave me further from the tree than I prefer to be from a visual perspective. If I can move my feet more to the sides of the tree, I can pull myself in a fair amount.

I am going to put this in the pile of Sh!t I want to try, but move it up to about number 3 haha.

I'm actually thinking the opposite of you - drop a little 4x6 platform on top of two brackets, and put the stepp on the backside of the tree. What I have in mind is to use it with the web or treesuit. I'm learning that all of the platform style platforms leave me further from the tree than I prefer to be from a visual perspective. If I can move my feet more to the sides of the tree, I can pull myself in a fair amount.

I am going to put this in the pile of Sh!t I want to try, but move it up to about number 3 haha.

I think I know what you are getting at. Instead of building a platform that goes over a step like some of the guys have been testing, build a platform that is fastened by the rope and use the step as the secondary position. Ok, I am leaving that one in your capable hands :)

I think I know what you are getting at. Instead of building a platform that goes over a step like some of the guys have been testing, build a platform that is fastened by the rope and use the step as the secondary position. Ok, I am leaving that one in your capable hands :)

Welp, the steps thread on notch dryad easily... my stepps with the original ropes are on loan at a buddy's house now.

I'll try to stick it on a tree as soon as I can to let you know how tight they get.

IMG_0606.JPG

You guys need to stop doing such awesone things with those WE steps. At least until I can afford some! haha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk

What type of bracket is that you're using? Very interested in this idea. Peter you have another great idea here.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

What type of bracket is that you're using? Very interested in this idea. Peter you have another great idea here.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
It is an 80mm furniture bracket made of cast aluminum. I have been making platforms out of them for some permanent stand locations. Four plus a ratchet strap and a minor modification is all it takes. Do a search here; I started a thread. Pete

So I tested this at climbing height with tether and sitdrag. Yup, this is a winner for me. One minor change. Added a string loop so I can clip it to the bag or harness for the climb. The idea is to only use it when needed, which only takes a few seconds.

20180913_155027.jpg

So two steps, one bracket? I put the stepp and ameristepps on a tree and it got tight tight but didn't have my gear to climb on it and test it. Probably tomorrow.

So two steps, one bracket? I put the stepp and ameristepps on a tree and it got tight tight but didn't have my gear to climb on it and test it. Probably tomorrow.

Ya, I like having two steps and I find it easy to set them. It is the third one, and fourth that are a bitch for me. I find that I am setting the two steps fairly close to each other so I can be comfortable for the long haul. The bracket is about 8 inches away from the step it is attached to (can be further of course), which is perfect for me to get around any of the larger trees I hang around on. It doesn't even have to be on there super tight since I would just use it to sneak around the tree to hide or get a shot off. But it does hold in place well if I do a tight cam over.

This thing could be rock solid if it was even wider, say six inches. Plus, it would make for a great platform. I have been tempted to JB Weld two of them together, but I need them for my permanent platforms. I was able to sacrifice one because I have a ring of steps on a tree that is barely six inches. I could only get three on there.

You could also put one bracket on each step. Then you have your two steps and two brackets. You could have a freakin' party up there, because there would be so much surface area.

I do like your platform idea though....when will it be ready for viewing????? :)

Tried it with this metal step. Not sure about it.

With a decent cam of the Stepp, the strap on settled and was stable when I put weight on it. However it messed with the WE stepp. When I put weight back onto the WE stepp it shifted.

The pictures are after I got a super tight cam. Then nothing shifted.

Taken after I was done shooting, so it was dark.

f421522265a17166a6a6684342635aab.jpg

56e4eddbfbee63d6fa9d6290f4c1823b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back