• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Went full circle back to the beginning with my saddle. Got my first buck. WV gun season.

HuumanCreed

SH Member
Started hunting only in 2017. My father in law hunted his whole life. Wife is an only child and showed no interested in it. The few times he did drag her out as a child, he found she spend the whole time reading a book. I always wanted to hunt and l was his only hope to pass on his passion so we both embraced the mentor/student role. But l was in my 30s and years as one of the best shooter on the range in the Army. I was full of confident. Told him to let me borrow any of his rifle and l got this. He said ok and handed me a 7mm rifle. So my first day hunting(if you can call it that) was me jogging around his lease with a grunt tube in my mouth. I was grunting every few minutes, saw nothing all day and l was freezing from dragging that heavy rifle around. Total failure. So started reading books and LEARNING how to do it properly, l asked him why the hell he let me go out like that my first time????? He said l had to learn and realise it's not that easy. He still tell the story to his buddies today about me scaring all the deer from the lease for days.

Well finally got my first buck. Using my saddle 10 feet above his ladder stand. With the gun he gave me to take his daughter off his hand. On lands his family owned for 100+ years.

Drove 6 hours to visit to WV. After family settled down. I got to hunt for a few hours before dark. Saddle and rifle is a very effective combo. Heart shot a nice 6pts. Now hoping l can do same with bow.
Screenshot_20231121-045851_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20231121-063927_Gallery.jpg

So my first day hunting(if you can call it that) was me jogging around his lease with a grunt tube in my mouth. I was grunting every few minutes, saw nothing all day and l was freezing from dragging that heavy rifle around. Total failure. So started reading books and LEARNING how to do it properly, l asked him why the hell he let me go out like that my first time????? He said l had to learn and realise it's not that easy. He still tell the story to his buddies today about me scaring all the deer from the lease for days.

Don’t knock that grunt tube strategy, at the right time of the season and if you can sneak in downwind, still-hunting downwind of bedding pre rut through rut and grunting can bring bucks and does right in.

Congrats. My FIL was my access point to Adult Onset Hunting also. I look back at my first few hunts with a mix of laughter and embarrassment. He has since hung it up and off to Florida, and I miss those days of hunting with him greatly, even if I was a cluster.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Ran 40 yards. It was a very educational experience. There was no blood on the ground. Like none. FIL saw the whole thing. At first l thought I missed because he didnt seem to react at all. But we walked from where l shot him to where he died. No blood at all. I assumed I hit nothing but heart. So he simply died without even knowing it. I'm really thankful for 2nd pair of eyes. Because it it was in deep wood by myself and he ran a little farther, it might of taken me a long time to find him. That is if l didn't assumed that l missed.

Ran 40 yards. It was a very educational experience. There was no blood on the ground. Like none. FIL saw the whole thing. At first l thought I missed because he didnt seem to react at all. But we walked from where l shot him to where he died. No blood at all. I assumed I hit nothing but heart. So he simply died without even knowing it. I'm really thankful for 2nd pair of eyes. Because it it was in deep wood by myself and he ran a little farther, it might of taken me a long time to find him. That is if l didn't assumed that l missed.

I’ve noticed they don’t bleed much when shot with a rifle for me either. Typically find them piled up 30-50 yards away tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where do you aim? Only ever shot hogs with it but I want to take my 30 30 out tomorrow to catch some rut action.
Right up the leg. Take out the heart and shoulder. 30-30 pack a punch at under 150 yards.
What he said! I'm shooting .35 cal. instead of 30-30 but hitting in the shoulder will put them down for sure.

Way to keep going and learning! Doing it all on family land and with the rifle he gave you is icing on the cake. A story you’ll tell forever!

Back