• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What’s the secret to climbing with a jx3 and lwhc?

The traction belt makes it tough to climb using your feet. This does not change based on “saddle”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can’t seem to get far enough from the tree to lift my legs when seat is deployed. I tried not deploying seat but it hurt hanging by the leg straps although lwhc lifted better. I have no issues with my other basic saddles.

I can’t seem to get far enough from the tree to lift my legs when seat is deployed. I tried not deploying seat but it hurt hanging by the leg straps although lwhc lifted better. I have no issues with my other basic saddles.
Plus i feel like the whale is always trying to jab my calves since i cant get far enough away from tree

i just purchased the Summitt open shot as a back up, but I have used the LWHC for three years with zero issues. While standing on the LW, and before I begin climbing I set the tether level with the top of my head, and have the prussic around 8” below that. I sit back completely on the seat of the Hybrid using one hand to hold the seat in place so that all of my weight is on the seat fabric, and not the leg straps. I don’t over-tighten the leg straps since that will prevent you from being able to put your full weight on the seat.
It’s just second nature now, and no different than climbing with my old summit viper.

I will add that prior to doing the bolt mod on my Lonewolf Handclimber it was very difficult to climb with.

do u strap the lwhc down at height using the jx3?

You will probably want to. From my experience, it moves, pops, and gives too much to remain stealth. Also, are you a tall guy? I ask because I am and the wale tale is always stabbing my calves as well. I think it is because the JX3 is not set up for tall or large framed people.

Im 5’10” and like to think im tall. Not sure the ladies consider me tall dark n handsome tho

You will probably want to. From my experience, it moves, pops, and gives too much to remain stealth. Also, are you a tall guy? I ask because I am and the wale tale is always stabbing my calves as well. I think it is because the JX3 is not set up for tall or large framed people.

The JX3 is not designed to be used climbing with the seat down. You can, it doesn’t hurt anything functionally. But the whole point of the thing is to be able to climb with it stored behind your back out of the way keeping your lower body and core free to twist and turn and climb.

Not to say you can’t use it with the hand climber. Just that saying it isn’t designed for tall people isn’t correct at all. I’m 6’3 and use it almost exclusively and it works great.

If you absolutely have to climb with the seat deployed, there are ways to remove and store the fork so it doesn’t hit you. It can be slid back in once settled. It’s more tinker than I care to deal with, but can be done.

-Heavily modded JX3 system with custom harness

I think i have the hang of this now. I need the seat down. Instead of planting butt straight down like you do with a classic saddle, it’s more of pushing out and planting more laterally so the seat is half deployed. Thanks!
I think i will be using the jx3 this year!

Nowi have to figure out if im gonna try to integrate a ros w the lwhc, or just go lwhc. I can shoot most directions with no moving around the tree much.

Nowi have to figure out if im gonna try to integrate a ros w the lwhc, or just go lwhc. I can shoot most directions with no moving around the tree much.

Every region and tree is different. I found that all too often, the lwhc would move, creak, move bark or other wise be too shifty or
Noisy to be reliable on some of the oaks and pine as opposed to say smoother straighter bark of a poplar. Last time I use this combo I spooked a doe while trying to move into position. I also found that I can not draw my bow that well with the extra straps of the
Jx3. It helps if i make adjustment to shorten tether to help stand me up i can shoot off the lwhc better but then it is not enough tether to traverse my ros. The rubbery, more pliable band of the lwhc kills it.

The JX3 is not designed to be used climbing with the seat down. You can, it doesn’t hurt anything functionally. But the whole point of the thing is to be able to climb with it stored behind your back out of the way keeping your lower body and core free to twist and turn and climb.

Not to say you can’t use it with the hand climber. Just that saying it isn’t designed for tall people isn’t correct at all. I’m 6’3 and use it almost exclusively and it works great.

If you absolutely have to climb with the seat deployed, there are ways to remove and store the fork so it doesn’t hit you. It can be slid back in once settled. It’s more tinker than I care to deal with, but can be done.

So are you using the LWHC as you’re climbing method with the seat up? I’ve never even considered that. What would the advantage be? I could definitely see the need to do that while using sticks and a lineman‘s belt, but using the LWHC and the “sit down, stand up” climbing method it seems like you would need to sit down. And there’s a comfy chair already strapped to your back.

So are you using the LWHC as you’re climbing method with the seat up? I’ve never even considered that. What would the advantage be? I could definitely see the need to do that while using sticks and a lineman‘s belt, but using the LWHC and the “sit down, stand up” climbing method it seems like you would need to sit down. And there’s a comfy chair already strapped to your back.

I don’t use the LWGC. I wasn’t saying it’s a good idea to use the LWHC in conjunction with a hybrid(and the the seat stowed behind you). I was saying that the hybrid is designed to have the seat stowed while climbing. It was not designed for use in conjunction with a hand climber.

This isn’t to say you can’t do it. Or that it’s unsafe or anything else. I was just clarifying some unclear things said in the post I responded to, regarding tall people in the hybrid.

Those are the facts.

My opinion is that using a large platform with the hybrid makes little sense. It makes slightly more sense if you can use the platform to climb. But you run into the issues seen in this thread.

I don’t use the LWGC. I wasn’t saying it’s a good idea to use the LWHC in conjunction with a hybrid(and the the seat stowed behind you). I was saying that the hybrid is designed to have the seat stowed while climbing. It was not designed for use in conjunction with a hand climber.

This isn’t to say you can’t do it. Or that it’s unsafe or anything else. I was just clarifying some unclear things said in the post I responded to, regarding tall people in the hybrid.

Those are the facts.

My opinion is that using a large platform with the hybrid makes little sense. It makes slightly more sense if you can use the platform to climb. But you run into the issues seen in this thread.

You would know more than I as to John’s intentions regarding climbing methods, but I must say that it works perfectly when used in the “sit down stand up” method. Now, if only a manufacturer would produce a climbing platform specific to this use.

Back