• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What all do you pack in and how do you do it?

Bgolladay

Just like the title says. This will be my first year in a saddle and to say I am excited is an understatement. I have the Mantis and Predator on order, I was just curious on what type of pack everybody uses, what do you bring with you and use on every hunt? I have a badlands fanny pack that I really liked to use with my Lone Wolf but now that I will be using the predator I am looking for ideas on packing in my sticks and making everything comfortable. So lets see everyones setups.

GPS, Thermacell, TP, headlamp, extra batteries. Climbing gear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The particular pack I use varies. Smallest/lightest pack wins if it can carry the stuff I need. In MI we're often hunting 60* days in early Oct and 30* days Nov 1 so...

Shooting stuff gear (bow, xbow, rifle, pistol, shotgun, whatever)

Climbing stuff gear (saddle, tether, platform, sticks, whatever)

Deer foolin' gear (decoy, other misc foolishness)

Tree hanging strap such as

https://www.amazon.com/Pine-Ridge-A...9725&sr=8-2&keywords=hunting+gear+strap+hooks

but not that one, something like it.

Doyles gear hoist (self-retracting heavy thing is preferred for not having to tidy ropes manually)

Binoculars and sometimes FLIR Scout for S&Gs

Food/snacks if sitting for a long time

Hydration

Staying warm gear (probably not worn on hike in)

TP

BooBoo kit with bandaids and pain relievers

Hand warmers

Orange tape (if I need to mark trail to downed critter)

Tags/paperwork

At least 2 flashlights, usually 1 is handsfree headlamp with red light

Compass

9mm (because you can never be too safe)

I use the Outpaq as my pack. I wear the saddle with doyles gear hoist attached. My ring of steps and tether are in a pouch. Linesman belt is daisy chained up. LW sticks have an old duffle bag strap on them that I sling in the other direction across my back compared to the Outpaq. Carry my bow in. In my pack I have knife, zip ties, pencil and small notebook, chemlight sticks, water, snack, range finder, field dressing gloves, TP, any other calls or scents depending on time of year. Usually wearing in binos around neck.

Horn hunter G3 treestand pack. Inside of pack: tether, rope steps (13), and then everything needed for the hunt (water, snack, scents, rattler, calls, bow hanger, scent elimination spray, knife, plastic bags, etc). I really like the G3 treestand pack it has tons of room and hangs nicely off of a bow hanger or a well placed branch and when hanging everything you need is wide open to grab when needed.

On the outside of the pack I have my quiver, bow if it’s a long hike in, and my tree swing seat. Everything gets attached to the pack and it’s still comfortable for hiking the big bluffs we have here.

My rock harness I wear in using the linesman as suspenders of sorts. Been thinking of actually getting some suspenders for the harness.

I need to completely redo this since I'm adding filming gear this year, at least I'll have some time to figure it out.

I use the Vista arrow quiver as my pack/quiver. I wear the saddle with my ring of steps and tether are in a pouch. Linesman belt is daisy chained up. LW sticks have 2 homemade aiders and strap to hold them that I sling in the other direction across my back opposite the arrow quiver. Carry my bow in. In my pack (quiver) I have a 2 knives, knife sharpener, marking tape, pen, zebra light, UV light, range finder, field dressing gloves, a deer call and scents depending on time of year, and compact hand saw.

Donnieballgame get ready to be a pack mule. You will question your own sanity while carrying all this crap in but when it all comes together there is nuthin better.

-Modified sit-&-drag
-2 identical linesman belts/tethers (2 carabiners and a ropeman1 each)
-Cellphone (with gps apps and imagery pre-downloaded)
-Backpack (5.11 Rush 12)
-3L hydration bladder (Its hot in Texas)
-Backup Battery bank (GPS burns battery)
-Small pack reflective thumbtacks
-3 trash bags
-SD Card reader for phone
-Microfiber lense cloth for cleaning camera lenses
-Toilet paper (never leave home without it!)
-2 knives (skinning and hunting)
-Knee brace (bum knee that hurts sometimes)
-Super bright, green flashlight
-Headlamp
-Grunt tube (first year of this)
-Doe bleat can (first year for this too)
-Amsteel backpack hanger
-Pens (to immediately fill tags)
-Thermacell with backup pads/gas (early season only)
-Angle compensating archery rangefinder
-Pruning shears
-hooyman saw

Only one of the following climbing methods at a time, depending on property/situation.

-ClimbRight Aluminum Spurs with aluminum pads for run-n-gun where I can (strapped to sides of pack)

-EZ Kut drill and set of bolts for presets or possible return locations where legal.

-Modified Hawk Helium’s where bark damage isn’t legal.

As far as packing, EVERYTHING in the first list fits inside, or is integrated into, the 5.11 backpack.
The hydration bladder is in the built in hydration storage with the tube on one shoulder strap.
The backup power pack cord is threaded from the main bag compartment through the other shoulder strap for charging while phone is in use.
The rangefinder is attached to a shoulder strap as well, so it is always at hand.
The Hawk Helium’s get tied to the back with Nite Ize gear ties when I use them.
My bow gets tied to the back when using anything other than sticks.

It is fairly heavy, but the key is that it is ergonomic. There is zero bulk. By far the bulkiest things I carry are my bow or the sticks. I can handle a pound or two extra so long as there isn’t crap hanging all over the place tangling brush.

EDIT:
I just weighed my setup with bolts as the climbing method.

All in, with climbing method, saddle, ropes, backpack, bow, arrows, EVERYTHING I would have on a hunt except water.... my setup is 22.8lbs. The 18 bolts definitely don’t help that number.
Add 6.6lbs if I fill the water up all the way for a total weight of 29.4lbs for an easy all day sit.

Last edited:
I can’t get over how many guys don’t carry water. I carry two bottles for a morning or evening sit and 4-6 for all day. I rarely carry any back out.

Get a water bladder... so much easier to carry. I got a 3 liter one this year and I am loving it.

Get a water bladder... so much easier to carry. I got a 3 liter one this year and I am loving it.

Have you ever had one leak or burst? I'm super nervous about using mine and having it fail on me. I really don't want to be dealing with that in the field. I've considered putting everything in small drybags inside my pack, just in case. Thus far, I've left the bladder at home and carried bottles.

Cleaning a bladder is another barrier to me using one. I'm OK with plastic water bottles and crushing them down and packing them out.

Have you ever had one leak or burst? I'm super nervous about using mine and having it fail on me. I really don't want to be dealing with that in the field. I've considered putting everything in small drybags inside my pack, just in case. Thus far, I've left the bladder at home and carried bottles.

This is my first one to use since they first got popular 12-15 years ago. The first generation bladders were pretty prone to busting. But, these newer ones seem super stout.
Most backpacks have built in locations for them and minimize the possibility even further. I’ve only used this one for roughly 100 miles of hiking so far, but I feel like I couldn’t leave home without it now.

This is my first one to use since they first got popular 12-15 years ago. The first generation bladders were pretty prone to busting. But, these newer ones seem super stout.
Most backpacks have built in locations for them and minimize the possibility even further. I’ve only used this one for roughly 100 miles of hiking so far, but I feel like I couldn’t leave home without it now.

10-4
Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to run mine on my hunts with shorter treks and a daypack. We'll see how it goes, I guess. I really like the idea, just nervous, I guess. Then again, I get rained on, and don't mind. I guess worrying about my water bladder doesn't make much sense, huh? LOL

I say I carry them out empty but usually I’ve refilled one. I guess I should just let it rain instead.

-Modified sit-&-drag

SNIP

-Backup Battery bank (GPS burns battery)

SNIP

I like your list. This one item (battery bank) I could justify a few years ago. I can't anymore. Drive out in the morning charging the phone, use it as necessary to find spot, then turn that phone on airplane mode and have lots of juice if necessary. Getting sucked into looking at phone while hunting is an invitation to disaster (see Kenyon/Holyfield). Won't let it enter my realm of possibilities anymore. I encourage more people to DISCONNECT and take in quiet times on-stand void of electronics. Deer hunting quiet time is therapy TO ME and I encourage others to kick electronics to the curb.

Back