• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What are the preferred boots for Saddle hunters?

vanettenr93

I just bought a Kestrel and I was wondering if people used rubber boots like stand hunters or if there was a different style boot used and why?
Thanks

ive always used rubber boots. Spurs are the only thing I can think of that may require certain boots, but ive never used them so Im not even sure of that

I use rubber boots also with spurs. I just bought a really sturdy with a good ridged sole.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have contemplated rubber boots but jn NW Arkansas public land, leather is about the only way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use both but I prefer lightweight leather hunting boots.I like the support and the comfort of the leather boot When I am doing a lot of walking

I’m new to the Saddle Hunting community also. It just so happens I’m in the market for some new boots this year and was wondering this same exact thing. I’m leaning toward a lace up boot instead of rubber . To me it just seems like it will be a lot easier on your feet standing up on a few steps for hours

Leather boots with rigid soles will likely yield the best foot comfort for long sits but choice of platform is also very important in this regard.

Last edited:
I use some Merrell hiking boots I got at ****s last year. Mid height, lace up, and waterproof. Not a lot of insulation but I just wear wool socks and they do just fine. I do a fair amount of hiking to get to my spots and the Vibram sole is very sturdy and easy on my feet. From what I could find online they look like the Moab model in black but I generally prefer a lace up boot unless I know I’ll be trecking across high water. These do just fine across shallow streams and soggy river bottoms.

Zamberlan 980 GTX Outfitters

dc0ea9cfccc263d883f7ea7781377b54.png

Lacrosse rubber boots. Alpha burly for the last few seasons but I do like the burly so with the air Bob sole.

If my feet are going to be on a platform, rubber boots work fine for me. With small surface area of ameristeps, etc., I like a hard sole boot. Not sure about the WE steps since I haven't used any of them while hunting from a saddle. I suspect that I would prefer hard soles with them. Each user has to figure out what makes your feet happy.

I’ve used Mucks for years but last year I used leather boots and my feet stayed dryer, more comfortable, and did not stink.

Same here. Muck’s have been my go-to boot for several years. But my feet sweat terribly in them, so I switched to leather last year. Mucks have a great sole to prevent foot fatigue, but I didn’t notice my Danners being much worse, plus I got the added benefit of breathability and lighter weight boots. My feet stayed much cooler in early season. I did notice one oroblem w/the leather boots - they would squeak if I rubbed the side of the boot against the vertical part of screw-in steps that made up my platform. I could quiet them with something (Stealth Strips on the steps) I’m sure, but didn’t have any at the time, and the steps were already in the tree.

I'm with Rabidd on the hikers. My feet sweat in rubber whether I'm here in Florida or in Illinois. Here they usually just get wet and stinky, in the midwest they get wet and frozen. I've tried all kinds of liners, styles and brands and my feet still sweat in rubber. If I'm slogging through water in Florida I usually just wear Mucks and deal with it. In cold country I wear rubber boots, hip boots or waders in the water, carry my breathable boots and a garbage bag in my pack. When I get out of the water, I seal the rubbers up, stash the bag, put on my other boots and hunt. I've climbed SRT with ascenders many times in Hi-Tecs and they worked just fine.

Man, I love the Lacrosse Aeroheads attached to my dan’s Froglegs. I will be ordering a snake proof pair for high ground scouting/hunting soon. They work great for standing on bolts too.

Just ordered the aeroheads. I figure for $80, I will give them a try.

Back