• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What common SH accessory don't you use?

fr0sty

Many folks here use knee pads for saddle hunting, but I've not found the need for them. I alternate between sitting and leaning during my hunts and surprisingly never had my knees bother me. What popular sh accessories don't you need, or or just choose to do without?

I don’t use any saddle but warmer. I use a lot of different stuff. Of everything I have I have used srt and the hand climber the least. If you were asking about common items used by all deer hunters it would be an easy answer. Treestands.

I like the back band, but only used it a couple of times because I didn't like the additional step to get ready.

Ropeman, platform, sticks(I’ll use one, no more), rattling antlers, scents, scentlok, multi pin sights, rangefinder, expandables, rubber boots(with exception of crossing water, will pack hiking boots in most cases), pouches on a saddle, deer sleds or carts

I started to put that on my list, but I do kinda like that treesuit platform.

I'm with @kyler1945 on antlers, scents, calls, etc. I don't mind expandables though, and hardly ever hunt in anything except rubber boots.
Yeah, I own one, so I didnt take it off, and I might use it this year instead of a crotch stand...

I also never use calls, ratlers, or expandables...

I started to put that on my list, but I do kinda like that treesuit platform.

I'm with @kyler1945 on antlers, scents, calls, etc. I don't mind expandables though, and hardly ever hunt in anything except rubber boots.

I use calls! I have a grunt tube and a tiny "breathe in" grunt call. I tend to use the latter to get a deer to commit when just out of range.

And I hate a doe bleat can, but that sucker has worked several times in the Midwest during rut. I always feel like an idiot using it, but can't argue with the results.

Their use is quite rare though, and certainly only during rut. Outside of that the only one that comes out for a hunt is the small grunt

I did not like the WE Steps. I hunt public land and these steps were a PIA.

I thought I was the only one who didn't like the WEI steps! I bought some last fall, and wanted to like them more than my muddy pros so bad, just for the pack ability, but I did not like them. They did not work well on all trees, and they were much slower. I tried using them on a smaller red pine, maybe 10 inches in diameter, and every time I put weight on them they would dig into the bark and slip down few inches (I had them cammed over super tight too).

I guess if you are able to find the perfect tree everytime, and don't mind going up the tree slow, someone might like them.

Back