• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What computer browser are you using?

bj139

I had been using Firefox for decades but the latest update filled my memory and slowed my PC to a crawl. I just downloaded Opera and so far I am very pleased. It is quick and memory is mid full. Firefox may be history.

With Opera, I am watching memory at 2.25 GB used of my 4GB. With Firefox, as I loaded webpages it just went up near 4GB and slowed to crawl. This is nice. I can stop monitoring memory usage soon.

My computer doesn't seem broken anymore. I was thinking about buying a new one. Saddlehunter is super fast now with Opera.

I don't think I've really settled on a browser yet, I kind of hate all of them.

I used Chrome for the longest, but it's gotten so bloated and annoying. The last straw was when they removed the ability to go back a page with the backspace key, only allowing it through the use of a wonky extension.

I switched to Vivaldi. It had lots of customization and features (allowing me to use backspace to go back again), but wasn't as stable, and certainly didn't fix the bloat.

I gave the new Edge a try, and it seems to work well, though no backspace thing again.

Of course, all of them are based on Chromium, so how different really are they?

There is a memory leak on Firefox. There was a fix to it but I cant remember it. Closing it and restarting helps. Opera is fine,, its not quite as functional as Firefox though. I use Opera on my phone as its easier to use on my phone than FF, despite the random ad that comes up.

Last edited:
I don't think I've really settled on a browser yet, I kind of hate all of them.

I used Chrome for the longest, but it's gotten so bloated and annoying. The last straw was when they removed the ability to go back a page with the backspace key, only allowing it through the use of a wonky extension.

I switched to Vivaldi. It had lots of customization and features (allowing me to use backspace to go back again), but wasn't as stable, and certainly didn't fix the bloat.

I gave the new Edge a try, and it seems to work well, though no backspace thing again.

Of course, all of them are based on Chromium, so how different really are they?
Who uses backspace? Get yourself a 5 button mouse or a multifunction scroll wheel. Backspace is slow.

I started running Opera today and turned off the built in VPN. The computer slowed to a stop and the memory filled to 3.7 GB of my 4GB. I looked at the resource monitor and the process below was using 1.7GB. The computer worked so well yesterday and the only difference seems to be the VPN. I turned it back on when Opera started and my free memory is over 2GB and holding. The VPN seems to be protecting my computer from something being pushed. I can delete the process below from Resource Monitor and get back control. It restarts itself with much less memory used after the VPN is running.

Image PID Hard Faults/sec Commit (KB) Working Set (KB) Shareable (KB) Private (KB)
svchost.exe (NetworkService) 1168 0 23,664 17,484 4,428 13,056

If svchost is going out of control, I doubt the VPN is the issue. Luckily there are easy ways to fix it

I opened 5 windows and used memory is 60% and my system is still responsive. SVCHOST that was using 1.7GB is now using 25MB.

If svchost is going out of control, I doubt the VPN is the issue. Luckily there are easy ways to fix it
Care to suggest any ways to fix it?
This is the network part of SVCHOST not the other SVCHOST which is running fine.
The VPN is not a problem at this point, it is a helper.

Also operas VPN sucks and it's not really a VPN as it only affects that browser's web traffic. If you really want a VPN is get Express VPN.

Back