• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What does Deer hunting mean to you?

Good stuff.

I’m glad to see ambush hunting promoted. I hear so much downplay of treestand hunting on podcasts, as if it is a lazy mans way of hunting, or a lesser form, from the elk shape bros. “I couldn’t sit still for that long”. As a guy who works out religiously, it’s possible! Your level of athleticism does not hinder your ability to be in stillness.

To me, high output spot and stalk hunting sounds about as intimate as flying through the woods on a mountain bike. Are you surrounded by nature? Yes, but what are you really experiencing? I have put in miles backpacking in beautiful places, but it is most certainly not on the same level of being in a tree, melting into nature, observing completely undisturbed wildlife, in complete silence. The only comparison I can think of might be high level wildlife photography.

We go to places that most recreational outdoorsman will never step foot, and we experience things that none of them will ever experience.

I have some friends who've been there. I can't imagine what they've been through. You can tell a bad day just by the look on their face. A simple hug and shoulder makes a big difference. No need to say a word. Ten minutes later you get the reset they were looking for and that focus returns. Hunting is therapy for a lot of us. We all have our demons. Some are worse than others. Time alone in the woods is an amazing thing.

Back