• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What gun do you hunt with?

When I do go, I use my custom Gary Reeder Packer. A TC Contender G2 Frame, with a 16.125" OAL barrel, within that length is a 2" Muzzle Break. 30/30 caliber because it's cheap and easy to find ammo anywhere, and 1:10 Twist because it works with 15-180grain of the bullet. It's outfitted with a Chaote Side Folding stock and a fixed 4x Leupold scope.

In the state of MI it's classified as a Pistol and registered as a pistol, federally it's considered a rifle so no special paperwork. Shoots just below MOA off a rest and I'd probably do much better with a larger scope, but then that would make it look silly. I only shoot factory ammo. Hornady Whitetail Special 150grain or Remington Corelok 150 grain.

Gun folds right up and slides in my regular day pack.

Ruger 77/357 magnum rifle for the thick stuff here in TN. It's a 100 yard gun, but I rarely have shots longer than that. And it weighs in a 5 pounds and is awesome to carry around all day. If I feel like there will be some shots over 100 yards, I will bring my old Savage in 270.

Rarely do, but...
  • Ruger .270 I'll carry rarely - mostly the private land only Doe Hunt to hang-out with buddies
  • TC .50 Cal Muzzleloader that might get carried 1-2x a year ...but that's a STRETCH these days
  • Savage 220 bolt-action 20 gauge slug gun - carry this most of any gun, as a few WMAs I hunt have a slug gun only limitations, & I normally participate ...might carry this 2-4 times a season (2 day hunt in Nov / 3 day Christmas hunt)

Remington 30-06 with wood stock. It is the only rifle I have ever had. Part of me would love to buy a new rifle, but I just don't usually spend my extra money on extra guns. I've basically got one weapon for each season or game. This 30-06 has served me really well. It's been accurate, and I've become extremely comfortable with it. Here in NC, my rifle shots are usually all under 125 yds, and almost never up to 200 yds.

The other reason I've had difficulty parting with it, is that it was my Dad's. He gave it to me when I was about 25 years old, which is really when I started hunting anything at all. I didn't grow up with him, and didn't meet him until later in life. He passed away shortly after he gave it to me from liver cancer. Kinda cool to be using the rifle he used growing up.

If you were talking about a open sight lever action 30/30 maybe I'd encourage you. No reason to move on from a good 30/06 though. It will work just fine on anything in the country. Use it till you give it to your kid I say.

Larue Tactical PredatOBR 7.62 with 14.5" barrel pinned and welded with Surefire brake OR my ARPerformance 6.8SPC. If I'm gun hunting its very rare I reach for anything other than AR platform these days.

Deer and yes it depends so what gun for which situation for you?
Ok, so depends on location and season. In Michigan we have a shotgun only zone in the lower half so I grab my trusty Remington 870 Wingmaster or I might take along my Glock 20 10mm. I do have an 870 Super Magnum Express and another Magnum Express with a cantelever scope - but couldn't get either to shoot straight last year.
Up north in the rifle zone I'll take my Remington 700 BDL 30-06 along with the Glock.
Last muzzleloading season I'll take my CVA Optima 50 cal. with iron sights.

I got a pile I’ll rotate, but all get co witnessed with a pistol these days. .44mag model 29 8 3/8th Inch barrel 2x Leupold.
Thompson center contender 6.8spc 4x Simmons.
Thompson center encore pro hunter 7mm/08 with a weaver 2.5x8

I’ll start this year with a .325wsm xbolt An work a .270wsm Kimber an a xbolt 6.5creedmoor as season progresses.

I have a charter arms field king in 30-06 I like for sitting just as accurate as my rem 700 but way lighter. I carry a remington 7600 carbine in 30-06 when tracking or still hunting.

New for this years hunting. 4F7119CD-C61C-4929-9BEB-02C4CDF6CF06.jpeg Smith and Wesson 686 357 Plus Deluxe 7” 7rd with a Leupold VX3 and custom Hogue Cocobola grips. Shooting Buffalo Bore 140 Barnes XPB. It will murderlize a hog so hoping it’ll bust a deers ribs.

Back