• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What Have I Done…

TexaninSconny

We are selling our place in WI and moving to FL! I can think of so many reasons to be excited, but one big one I’m not excited about is the hunting changes. I hear all the stories of you FL boys mucking through the swamp and I have to say it definitely dampens my hunting spirits. One of my favorite things about hunting in WI was getting out in the crisp, cool temps. I still plan to journey back up to WI to get some hunting in up there, but that being said…I have a lot to learn about hunting in FL.

Our plan is to move to the Santa Rosa Beach area. Probably early to mid-October. We have an accepted offer for our house, but closing is a ways out. I’ll be doing my homework online, but if any of you have any bits of advise to pass on I will take it. And don’t worry, I already own a Thermacell. ;) TIA!

We are selling our place in WI and moving to FL! I can think of so many reasons to be excited, but one big one I’m not excited about is the hunting changes. I hear all the stories of you FL boys mucking through the swamp and I have to say it definitely dampens my hunting spirits. One of my favorite things about hunting in WI was getting out in the crisp, cool temps. I still plan to journey back up to WI to get some hunting in up there, but that being said…I have a lot to learn about hunting in FL.

Our plan is to move to the Santa Rosa Beach area. Probably early to mid-October. We have an accepted offer for our house, but closing is a ways out. I’ll be doing my homework online, but if any of you have any bits of advise to pass on I will take it. And don’t worry, I already own a Thermacell. ;) TIA!

Hunt underwater in Florida. These fools who deer hunt there aren’t right in the head. Save some pesos and yard passes and go back home for deer hunting season.

Hell, I’m to the point I won’t even bring a weapon in the woods in Louisiana before December anymore. Too much good hunting further north.

My wife is from Florida, south Florida. I would do what her family does. One cousin goes from Stuart to around Valdosta, GA, another cousin goes from crystal river into Georgia also. A brother in law goes to Virginia. I have a cousin that goes from palatka to some where in South Carolina. Looks like Alabama is right there at you. Might be a good option. My wife’s family says the best hunting to do in Florida is for the air conditioner.

Well, look on the bright side - - - the fishing will likely be better! Also have to change your handle/user name. If it's not taken already, I'd suggest "Florida Man"....LOL....

These guys don't know what they talking about...we have great hunting. The quota system is something to love and hate at the same time. Keeps hunting pressure low for when u get drawn. A positive to it is since u aren't getting drawn for ur favorite/close to home wma every year, is that u get to go explore other public land areas u may have never visited before. If u can travel a little and can be gone from home for a little than there are lots of woods u can hunt without quotas. 6 million acres of public land. Certain wma let u hunt year round and if u know somebody with private u can hunt 365. We are 1 of the world's top fishing destinations. Wildlife and birdwatching we are 1 of the world's top destinations....yeah, there's lots of bugs...not gonna lie..they suck.
Sure...u can go to another state and go hunt where it's easier...these deer here will definetly give u a challenge....and there are nice antlered deer but the body size is gonna probably be smaller than what u used to but over there in the armpit on the gulf u have "bigger" deer than we have in the east and south...but u can't hunt the subspecies Seminole whitetail anywhere else but here or the Osceola turkey or the sambar deer (I could be wrong here but I never heard of anywhere else u can go hunt public land and shoot an Asian elk). We got a pretty strong saddle hunter population and u get to come hang out with us and pig hunt once a year and drink blackberry juice...

Last edited:
lol! Hah, bet you'd cry if you had to sit all day at 15 degrees. :)
U can always add more layers but u get to a point we're u can't loose anymore.....hehehe

I have been in bitter cold before and I prefer it for sure....Alaska and Colorado winters are pretty chilly I think. Me and mine are Nordic peoples....I think I could take it but u probably right

Congratulations on the move. It may be a bit of a shock moving that far South. You will adapt pretty fast. If you are used to dragging WI deer, your back will love the move.

The difference in hunting in really cold weather and really hot weather hunting is that with the right gear, you can stay warm in the cold. You can only wear so little before you risk getting arrested for public nudity, lol.

If I remember correctly, you're moving from the state with the most B&C and P&Y bucks on record to the one with the least.

Alabama and Georgia have something like an estimated population of 1.5 million deer. Florida has more acreage and less than half that.

Them's facts, Jack.

Poor size, poor density. Impossible to find hotter winter weather in the US. But there's plenty of fishing opportunities and you'll never need snow chains.

U can always add more layers but u get to a point we're u can't loose anymore.....hehehe

I have been in bitter cold before and I prefer it for sure....Alaska and Colorado winters are pretty chilly I think. Me and mine are Nordic peoples....I think I could take it but u probably right
Hahaha! I don't really like the cold either. Hate getting out of a warm bed in order to go out and sit in a cold tree.

Trading chasing 150" white tails for 150lb white tails. But you will be closer to hunt piggies. And not to far from Ga. Close to the gulf. When it's 10deg up north this January/Feb and lots of snow predicted. You will be over it..

I just could not imagine hunting in that heat and critter / bug infested woods.
there are a ton of critters in those woods which if thry bite you you die. Lol.
i really respect southern boys for all they go through with weatherand creepy crawlers lol

there are a ton of critters in those woods which if thry bite you you die. Lol.

Not really. There's maybe a dozen venomous snakes tops down here and 2 spiders. @Weldabeast may know something I don't, but outside of that there's nothing venomous that is a big threat to our wellbeing as far as i know. Maybe a lionfish spine counts?

CDC estimates the mortality rate for venomous snake bites in the us is around 0.067%. 5 deaths for every 7,500 bites.

My advice: branch out to other pursuits, but don’t give up on deer hunting! So long as there are legally huntable deer in a place, you’ll still find me deer hunting, but I probably wouldn’t make deer my #1 priority in Florida (at least not central and south Florida). Fishing is great, and spearfishing is even better. Pretty sure Rinella’s said he wasted his life chasing critters on land when he could’ve spent it spearfishing instead. You can get into it cheap with snorkel gear and a pole spear doing shore dives, and that’s a great place to start.

Have fun fishing, that’s your new favorite hobby. My aunt and uncle live in Santa Rosa beach and they’re deer in their neighborhood you almost pet but you can’t hunt them.

https://youtube.com/shorts/1UmMhqXaSGQ?feature=share

What brings you to Santa Rosa? Housing is super steep, and the summers fill that place with beach goers. Other than that my in laws love it down there.

Not really. There's maybe a dozen venomous snakes tops down here and 2 spiders. @Weldabeast may know something I don't, but outside of that there's nothing venomous that is a big threat to our wellbeing as far as i know. Maybe a lionfish spine counts?

CDC estimates the mortality rate for venomous snake bites in the us is around 0.067%. 5 deaths for every 7,500 bites.
Lol. Still thats 2 more than we have where i hunt. Lol.
i guess if born and raised you are used to those conditions compared to all of a sudden moving there and completely kind of changing your outlook on what you need to do or get into. Lol

Back