• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What release do you use?

Bdwilliams

My bow is at the shop getting a new string but, for the life of me, I can't find my release. What do you guys use around the $50 price point? Cheaper is better (I hope to find my current release). I got a Trufire Patriot for cheap from Amazon and it feels terrible (too sensitive, a lot of trigger travel). I was previously using a Redhead brand release. It was fine but nothing special.

In for replies as well. I have been shooting a Winn release (the same one for 30 years). I'm thinking I want to change to one using a string loop. The Winn shoots off the string and since its like a glove it really restricts my hand use for anything other than shooting.

I use the Winn Free Flight. It's a hook release I use with a loop. I need that bar design to pull the bow back, I can't stand the wrist straps. Tried a few Carter thumb releases but just never felt crazy enough about them to make the switch.

I use the Winn Free Flight. It's a hook release I use with a loop. I need that bar design to pull the bow back, I can't stand the wrist straps. Tried a few Carter thumb releases but just never felt crazy enough about them to make the switch.
You don't get tired of the "bar" restricting other uses of your hand?

You don't get tired of the "bar" restricting other uses of your hand?

It is slightly annoying but I guess I am used to it. It doesn't bother me at all treestand hunting but elk hunting it can get in the way.

On the other hand I like it always being there, one of the downsides of the thumb release was knowing I would lose track of it when I needed it most.

It is slightly annoying but I guess I am used to it. It doesn't bother me at all treestand hunting but elk hunting it can get in the way.

On the other hand I like it always being there, one of the downsides of the thumb release was knowing I would lose track of it when I needed it most.
Like I said I have used my Winn for 30 years. I just envy seeing guys with wrist strap releases having both hands free. I have never tried one though nor have I tried a loop.

Truefire hardcore and Carter Quickie also use a Trueball Loopmaster glove and a Chappy Boss.

Do you guys like a heavy or light trigger release? The Tru Fire Patriot seems way too sensitive to me. I usually rest my finger on the trigger before I pull (try to use my back but rarely do) and I can't do that with this release. I may need to increase my price point to get some adjustability.

I like a light trigger. All my releases have adjustable trigger tension. So I can adjust what I need.

Consider buying used, you'll get a lot more bang for your buck. The last time I was in the market for a release I picked up a Stan Shootoff on AT for a little over half the new price and it looked like it had hardly been used.

3 fingers and cordovan tipped glove.

Sorry I couldn’t resist.
Haha. I had a conversation a couple of days ago with a co-worker about recurve bows and how I have no clue how anyone hits anything with them. And that funny little glove...

I shoot a compound bow but I use to shoot a recurve and I do have a longbow a friend of my made me. I shoot longbow better the recurve bows.

I use an old Fletchematic rope release(I hate D loops) and once the rope gets formed around the string hookup is second nature. No torque to the string and benefits of d loop without possible failure. Just old school.

I use an old Fletchematic rope release(I hate D loops) and once the rope gets formed around the string hookup is second nature. No torque to the string and benefits of d loop without possible failure. Just old school.
I have a Flecthematic shorty somewhere around the house used it along time ago. I use to work at a bow shop so I bought alot of archery stuff at cost. . Way to much suff. Lol

This.
Not trying to be insulting, but I just can wrap my mind around it...why do you guys like all that crap? Seriously just trying to understand the attraction to all the nuts, bolts and hardware. I realize that some of you have been into bowhunting for only the last 25 years or so and tech gear IS bowhunting to you.
Again...not trying to be insulting...I just don't understand the attraction to mechanical devices in a primitive weapon season.
c13be961feb14cc91f29e36576b3a1e2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Back