• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What will he score?

Pavehawk01

SH Member
Curious on what you all think this deer will score. Been getting picture all afternoon today on my buddies cell cam. Not good at judging age on the hoof, but guessing 4.5 or so....Any ideas?05E3A9CD-DB26-4834-8093-21EC52107342.png3BF1CD74-6AE8-43DF-A90A-9E58FBA896FB.jpeg4D8C7C22-2458-4B41-A8CD-D2471E9A56EC.jpeg9779125B-6E6C-497F-A472-A7AB17FE09C5.jpegEF5CD585-98BD-4A50-B9B2-020AD13FAAE1.jpeg

Attachments

• 1A4BA1D6-3261-4943-9C58-61F61E8EEC64.jpeg
    1A4BA1D6-3261-4943-9C58-61F61E8EEC64.jpeg
    557.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 108A46DC-A87A-461A-BAE5-DFF08B87C01C.jpeg
    108A46DC-A87A-461A-BAE5-DFF08B87C01C.jpeg
    231.3 KB · Views: 34
There is probably 70 inches on his left side but the right side is obviously minimal. Doesn't have much spread either. I would take a wild ass guess and say he wouldn't gross much over 110. Net score would really be bad due to side to side deductions.
I'm not even sure exactly how that thing would be measured.

Looks like he must've injured one of his legs during the spring or summer, causing that right side to be so stunted compared to the left. If he makes it to next year, I suspect he'll even up and be a TANK (150+").
I'm no scoring expert here, but I'll give it a shot... Looks like his left side frame has six "typical" points, and I'd guess he has somewhere in the neighborhood of 50" in tine length and main beam there. He has great mass, so I'd guess his four mass measurements total around 18-20". He probably gets credit for about a 10" spread. That just leaves his "junk" points to score, which is really hard to do from the photos. I'm guessing about 20" on his right side and another 20" on his left (in addition to the main-frame points listed above). So, being a bit generous in my estimate, that would put him around 120" gross and about 40" net. Haha If his right side matched his left, I'd guess him in the high 140's, low 150's. Again, I'm no expert at this, so take that with a grain of salt.

low on "score" but high on character. I'd shoot him!

My guess is that this would be the general consensus with this fella. With deductions, 110”-120” might be generous, who knows, but I haven’t the slightest on how to even begin with something like this. Much appreciate the guesses with the explanations. Although he may score low, I’m sure he has made it to the top of the hit list. Any ideas on the aging of this fella?

So... leg injury huh? I knew crazy antler growth could indicate injury, but had no clue that certain injuries cause different deformations. Learn something every day!!

Hope we get a few more guesses on score and age. Interesting to see how y’all approach something out of the ordinary like this.

My guess is that this would be the general consensus with this fella. With deductions, 110”-120” might be generous, who knows, but I haven’t the slightest on how to even begin with something like this. Much appreciate the guesses with the explanations. Although he may score low, I’m sure he has made it to the top of the hit list. Any ideas on the aging of this fella?

So... leg injury huh? I knew crazy antler growth could indicate injury, but had no clue that certain injuries cause different deformations. Learn something every day!!

Hope we get a few more guesses on score and age. Interesting to see how y’all approach something out of the ordinary like this.

Yeah, I took the easy way out because I had no clue how to score him. For his age, the bottom black and white picture makes me want to say 4 but, the picture above it makes him look like he could possibly be 3.

I would estimate 4.5 or 5.5.
If he was 6.5 I think he would look a little more full in the belly

I really doubt that he is 3.5. His neck is a little too developed for that.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I would estimate 4.5 or 5.5.
If he was 6.5 I think he would look a little more full in the belly

I really doubt that he is 3.5. His neck is a little too developed for that.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

The long legs and flat belly in that second to last picture made me think 3.5 was a possibility but, it wont take much to convince he's older than that.

Hope you figure it out after he’s on the wall. Pull the trigger ol son that’s a good ern

This is true... and yes, we may be getting ahead of ourselves with the optimism of a shot opportunity... but it sure is fun to start a story you don’t know the ending to. Hopefully I can follow up in the days to come with a picture of this bad boy in the lap of a very happy hunter. This guy has 3 doe that he has been dogging, so it’s a good sign that things are about to get turned up!!!

05BF27A1-931B-4C50-BF9D-D1FC4994CB4D.jpeg
The long legs and flat belly in that second to last picture made me think 3.5 was a possibility but, it wont take much to convince he's older than that.

I thought the legs were looking a little stubby in this picture, driving my guess to 4.5. However, I do agree there is a little disparity between the day and night photos.

View attachment 38068

I thought the legs were looking a little stubby in this picture, driving my guess to 4.5. However, I do agree there is a little disparity between the day and night photos.

Yeah, I agree. I just went back and looked through pictures of bucks on my property over the years that I pretty well know the age of. It kind of re-calibrated me. I agree with 4.5 and the B&W pictures could convince me 5.5. After that I have almost zero experience aging them. In the past 12 years there has only been one buck that I have gotten picture of that I am pretty sure was older then 5.5.

He doesn't have the sway back of an older deer. His face doesn't look old and the neck is hard to go by when aging a buck because during the rut their necks get huge.

I was gonna recommend an excellent book on this subject until I looked up what it's selling for...YIKES!
I bought this book for $40 when it was in print and it's one of the best books I've seen on whitetails.
The info is extensive and the photography is extraordinary. This hard cover book could be described as a coffee table book.
I doubt most guys want to spend $300+ on a book, but if you ever get a chance at a deal on one, scoop it up. Highly recommended!

I was gonna recommend an excellent book on this subject until I looked up what it's selling for...YIKES!
I bought this book for $40 when it was in print and it's one of the best books I've seen on whitetails.
The info is extensive and the photography is extraordinary. This hard cover book could be described as a coffee table book.
I doubt most guys want to spend $300+ on a book, but if you ever get a chance at a deal on one, scoop it up. Highly recommended!

Are you selling yours? I could put it to good use :) I think the art of aging and scoring deer on the hoof is part of the fun, but I have limited experience. I usually hunt while home on leave, and due to the time constraints.... we’ll let’s just say I’m not too picky. Fixin to retire here shortly and should have a lot more time on my hands come deer season, so hopefully someday I’ll be much better at accurately gauging deer in the hoof.

Are you selling yours? I could put it to good use :) I think the art of aging and scoring deer on the hoof is part of the fun, but I have limited experience. I usually hunt while home on leave, and due to the time constraints.... we’ll let’s just say I’m not too picky. Fixin to retire here shortly and should have a lot more time on my hands come deer season, so hopefully someday I’ll be much better at accurately gauging deer in the hoof.
Haha, not very likely that I will sell it. I've lended it out a few times over the years and had difficulty getting it back. After seeing the current value of the thing, my book lending days are over. This one is in mint condition. I wish I could say that about my copy of Bowhunting Rutting Whitetails (Gene Wensel). I destroyed the value of that book with highlighter and lamination. I paid ~$15 for that book and it's selling for close to $300 now.

Haha, not very likely that I will sell it. I've lended it out a few times over the years and had difficulty getting it back. After seeing the current value of the thing, my book lending days are over. This one is in mint condition. I wish I could say that about my copy of Bowhunting Rutting Whitetails (Gene Wensel). I destroyed the value of that book with highlighter and lamination. I paid ~$15 for that book and it's selling for close to $300 now.

Oh I was just messin, I didn’t expect you to say yes (definitely worth a try though). You ain’t kidding though... they want $322 for the first book mentioned on eBay. Maybe a Xmas gift idea to give to my better half.

Back