• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What's gonna be different for your new 2021 season?

MattMan81

SH Member
I order that HSP for my hawk sticks to try.
Plan to also aquire a ROS to try.
Picked up a Method after the season. So will give that a go.
I hunted public a little. Hope to do more as I continue to explore new areas. Hopefully with a little less bulk than last year.
But plan to preset some spots on the farm I hunt.

More presets

got a "good deal" on a LWCG and will use it during all day sits as a saddle platform/stand or when filming other people

Use my longbow

Less emphasis on height when run and gunning and more on quiet

Try to enjoy the post kill more, maybe smoke a cigar? I feel like it's too much about getting down to business and get that deer hung up

Try to bring my 2.5 yr old out in some way even if it messes everything up and we only stay for 30 minutes :)

Try to use a fanny pack for most of my hunts

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I'll be moving sometime between now and November, so I'll be hunting outside of my comfort zone in a lot of places I'm unfamiliar with. I'll probably have to do some pre-emptive scouting this spring before the green up.

Moving from where to where? Completely different areas of the country? That could be fun or a complete kick to the b@lls.

1. Presets for a few first sit best guesses.
2. Shoot my bow from a tree until I'm blue in the face. I missed 4 deer this year, two bucks that would have been my biggest by far.
3. One stick practice, practice, practice.
4. Use my canoe for access instead of my kayak.
5. Not pushing too deep too early. I could have shot a truck full of does if I'd just sat the soybeans in September.

Continue my hunt less, kill more plan. This season I killed a dozen deer and only hunted archery season and 3 weekends of gun deer. Skipped a solid month to chase ducks which allowed me about an 80% success rate across the board for hunts.

Be a bit more selective with my 3 buck tags. I burned 2 on yearling bucks and while I don't regret it (both were first time kills on new properties) I don't think I'll continue the trend. I was done halfway through archery season, and didn't put near as much effort into the rut as a result.

Travel more. Every year I say I'm going to hit North Mississippi or Arkansas or Kentucky. Got a new vehicle that will make that less risky. I like to see new places and shoot new faces.

One thing I won't be changing is ground hunting. I can count on my hands how many times I climbed this year. That pacseat is dope.

Picked up a budget crossbow. Hoping to put a few deer in the freezer with it. I still plan to primarily use my compound because the crossbow is kind of cumbersome comparatively. I got it mostly for hunting from the ground, but we'll see. My wife got me one of the Ameristep chair blinds so I look forward to trying that out. I've come to realize that i'm kind of lazy and i'd rather just sit on the ground some days if i'm short on time.

I tell myself every year that I need to scout public now and try to gain permission on some private spots. I'm going actually attempt to do those this year so i'll have better success on public and more hunting opportunities. A place close to the house would be nice for short sits.

I've also considered buying tags for Kentucky. I can be on public land in Kentucky within an hour and their season starts a few weeks before ours. But i've got commit to it because the tags are around $300.

To sum it up i'm trying to spend less time ****ing around with equipment and find deer. I have everything I need to kill deer. I just feel the need every offseason to mess with my setup and I don't end up doing my due diligence to find deer. Which is a key aspect to killing deer.

I never hunted the same tree twice last season,that was my big goal.and i liked that a lot. I will practice no sticking more in the off season,last season was my first in a saddle and it took me well over 5 times in a hunting scenario to become quiet and efficient with it. I also DRT climb but that makes a little more noise,so i use that when i think i can get away with it. I also hunted public the first time last year and want to do more of that.
And i will take my bow out during gun season. i thought about it last year but didnt do it.
Ideally I want to fill three tags with my bow. Last season i only got a buck with the bow and two more deer during gun.

Continue my hunt less, kill more plan. This season I killed a dozen deer and only hunted archery season and 3 weekends of gun deer. Skipped a solid month to chase ducks which allowed me about an 80% success rate across the board for hunts.

Be a bit more selective with my 3 buck tags. I burned 2 on yearling bucks and while I don't regret it (both were first time kills on new properties) I don't think I'll continue the trend. I was done halfway through archery season, and didn't put near as much effort into the rut as a result.

Travel more. Every year I say I'm going to hit North Mississippi or Arkansas or Kentucky. Got a new vehicle that will make that less risky. I like to see new places and shoot new faces.

One thing I won't be changing is ground hunting. I can count on my hands how many times I climbed this year. That pacseat is dope.
Try this seat and you won’t use anything else. Straps to tree, less than 4lbs and will put you to sleep quick if you are not careful!. Mellennium M300
796A4623-4A23-483C-A11A-7BE79985ABAA.jpeg

Pretty much everything will change this next year wrt my setup since I’m going saddle/one stick. I like to hunt deep and a different location every day unless I hit something really hot. It was a be-otch lugging that Viper around and although comfy, sometimes I didn’t go as deep as I wanted because of it. That changes this year.

Practice one sticking to make sure I have it down by the beginning of the season.
Buy a left handed bow to match my eye dominance, and practice as much as possible. I have been shooting a bow right handed my whole life so this will be a huge step for me.
Scout more before the season starts.

What's gonna be different for your new 2021 season?”

Maybe my wife.......if she finds out about my girlfriend.....

Maybe my girlfriend......if she finds out about my wife.....

Maybe both. I dunno. That will have to work itself out. LOL.

Outside of that...

What “will” be different:
Find more spots to use my canoe. The canoe was fun, and a great scouting and hunting tool. After a season of heavy use, I must say “It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.”

Actually hunt some of the spots I scouted in the spring. Last year I scouted and marked about 30-40 new stand locations, yet didn’t get around to hunting most of them. (A good “problem” to have!). Partially due to the canoe-fest!

Scout another state in the spring and hunt that state this fall. (Didn’t get the out-of-state, boots on the ground scouting in last year due to COVID. Would have gone on the hunt without the scouting but was not able to due to other health issues.)

What “could” be different?
Draw an elk tag in a different state. (It’s going to happen, sooner or later.). Otherwise heading to a non-draw unit.

Outside of that, a lot of things will remain the same! (Have done a bit of gear tinkering over the last two seasons, getting the saddle/sticks/stand situation dialed in on private and public land, so not too much there.).

Back