• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Where to aim?

Newhunter1

SH Member
Ok...So last night I got a shot at a doe. I set my platform 26' up and was shooting on the down hill side. I'm 5'4" so my bow was about 30' up from the ground. The deer was 16 yards from my tree...and i aimed square on her chest. I hit her and when I finally got down there was just meat on the arrow and a little blood. Brown fur...no guts and no bubbles on the arrow. Watching the deer, she didn't do a kick, nor did she have a humped back. There was no blood on the ground at all...even where she stood for 5-7 minutes before leaving.

So my question is this...the deer was 16 yards from my tree, but I was on the up hill side. It was about 15 feet in elevation...so I was closer to 45-50' from the deer. Should I have aimed for the heart instead of the lungs?

I am no pro hunter by no means but I try to shoot for the heart . If the deer ducks you will hit the center of the lungs if it does not duck ,you will hit the heart .

Sounds like a flesh wound , most likely the deer is still alive and will survive , a good thing. good luck

That’s a tough shot to make. Always think of exit not entry. Probably should’ve aimed just off backbone at top of rib cage to get both lungs or heart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Being that high and so close that makes for a hard shot. I stopped going so high as it gives you a steep shot angle and small kill zone at close distances. The heart is a lot smaller target than the lungs as well and it’s very well protected behind shoulders most of the time. I try to always go for a double lung shot or wait for deer to pass and get an open shoulder shot only if I’m extremely confident.

There are lots of guys, when under the stress of shooting at a critter, that can't hit lungs, let alone hit the heart.
Always shoot for double lungs. It leaves the least amount of error.
And there is something else that can happen on extreme angle shots... broadheads can deflect on bones...ribs, shoulder blades, etc, and never actually penetrate the body cavity. I've witnessed it. Its more of an issue with large bladed heads, and when they hit parallel (flat) against the bone.
I'm not a big fan of being so high in the tree. It does create shot issues, especially when shooting down the slope.
And every hunter should watch the videos on the Masterpiece Targets website. @Bwhana had a great thread on it. Amazing vids that show the real anatomy of deer with carcasses that they inflate the lungs. Should be required viewing for ALL hunters.

Last edited:
We are blessed with a wealth of accessible information these days as compared to the so called good old days!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Ok...So last night I got a shot at a doe. I set my platform 26' up and was shooting on the down hill side. I'm 5'4" so my bow was about 30' up from the ground. The deer was 16 yards from my tree...and i aimed square on her chest. I hit her and when I finally got down there was just meat on the arrow and a little blood. Brown fur...no guts and no bubbles on the arrow. Watching the deer, she didn't do a kick, nor did she have a humped back. There was no blood on the ground at all...even where she stood for 5-7 minutes before leaving.

So my question is this...the deer was 16 yards from my tree, but I was on the up hill side. It was about 15 feet in elevation...so I was closer to 45-50' from the deer. Should I have aimed for the heart instead of the lungs?
It's my opinion to center shoot or double lung every deer for a quick recovery.. When you shoot for the lungs it's usually Count to 5..and your deer should be down....
May The Magic of The Whitetail Forever Enrich Your Life

Was the deer 16 yards ranged from you or steps from the tree. There’s a difference when you calculate the angle of 50’ differences in elevation. If your range finder doesn’t compensate angle your shot would’ve been way high. That height and angle shot was closer to 8-9 yards.

Being that high and so close that makes for a hard shot. I stopped going so high as it gives you a steep shot angle and small kill zone at close distances. The heart is a lot smaller target than the lungs as well and it’s very well protected behind shoulders most of the time. I try to always go for a double lung shot or wait for deer to pass and get an open shoulder shot only if I’m extremely confident.
Very true , I always try for both lungs but with the s kiddish deer in the south ,if you aim at the center of the lungs on a broadside deer if you are lucky you will get a high lung or maybe a complete miss. Our season lasts for four months mostly with rifles lots of pressure. Very disappointing to shoot a perfect center punch lung shot and the deer ducks .

You need to think about your form too on hard shot angles. If you dropped your bow arm you will shoot high, or looking up to see if you hit the deer before you’ve truly let the arrow go you’ll shoot high. I think what @10essee said is very likely, deer was really only 10 yards out so you’re a little high there too based off a 20 pin. Maybe a combo of a couple of those. Sounds like you grazed the back, so the deer will be fine at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've hunted from relatively high 22'-28' tree stands on hillsides taking steep angle shots for years and have had my share of problems with misplaced hits. This preseason I finally figured out why. During a practice session I set up my target less than ten yards from tree and shot from 22' up and proceeded to consistently miss high from where I aimed by three inches. The bullseye was larger than life and I couldn't hit it! Three inches may not seem like much but there isn't much real estate on a deer to aim at when dealing with a steep angle. I needed to place my sight pin an inch lower than the bullseye in order to have shots hit the center. So in short you need to aim lower than you think you should on close steep angle shots. It helps to visualize where you want the arrow to exit the deer so you can pinpoint where you want the arrow to enter and then adjust your aim point accordingly.

The acute shot angle created by a high stand and close target poses a challenge to say the least. But just like others have said aim a little lower and you should be good, but the best thing is to actually shoot at targets from this angle. Confidence in your ability to place the arrow where you want it and what your sight pin looks like on an animal at that angle is paramount. I have done my own redneck testing and found that inside of 25 yards with a modern compound bow angle compensation range finder is not needed. It will not effect the point of impact enough to cause a miss that would effect the outcome of the shot.

Try practicing out of the tree with someone to move your targets around for you.Most guys that tend to miss high have the same problem.If you do not bend at the waist you will get high in your peep and you will shoot high every time.At the distance you shot this deer you should have hit exactly where you were holding.Bending at your waist will keep your form steady and the relationship between your anchor and the angle at which you are looking through the peep won’t change. Do this and promise you that you won’t encounter as many problems.Hopes this helps

I always aim low from a tree. I have spined a few and shot over a few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back