• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Which climbing methods have you tried?

Which climbing methods have you tried?

• Spurs

Votes: 21 22.6%
  • Bolts

Votes: 32 34.4%
  • Screw in steps

Votes: 44 47.3%
  • Strap/rope steps

Votes: 37 39.8%
  • Multi-tether

Votes: 34 36.6%
  • One-stick

Votes: 62 66.7%
  • Multi-stick

Votes: 85 91.4%
  • Climbing platform

Votes: 41 44.1%
  • Rope system

Votes: 36 38.7%
  • Aider

Votes: 66 71.0%

• Total voters
I even made rope ladders for my 2 X 6 stands in the 60's and 70's and had hand climb ropes on a few where there were guys that would use your stands and damage them before they left. My stepdad made his blinds (and steps) with osage orange limbs, pole barn nails, and # 9 wire. This was all before safety was a thing in the hunting world. Glad we survived to hunt with some sense.

Here's an updated ranking since there were more voters. The other thread for safety mishaps per method can be found here:

Screenshot 2023-09-29 071556.jpg

Interesting. One-sticking seems to be a good method according to those numbers. I'll be trying it shortly when my rappel setup arrives. I've been using multi-sticks with aiders and haven't had a mishap in the 2.5 years I've been doing it *knock on wood* The closest I've come to mishaps involved climbing back down and aiders, so I feel rappelling is going to be much safer regardless of climbing method.

The sketchiest-feeling climbing method I've ever tried is screw-in steps. The whole time I was on them - before I heard about linesmans belts or Muddy lifelines or any basic safety equipment like that - I had visions of slipping and impaling myself on a screw-in. I've re-purposed what I have left as bow / equipment hangers in the ceiling joists in my basement so I won't be tempted to put them back in a tree.

In the yard once? On a hunt once? A full season-ish?

I've tried out everything on the list except bolts and screw-in steps.

I've hunted at least once with everything else, except spurs.

This is the progression of my primary setup. During my tinkering era (2017-2020) I was switching between all sorts of setups in-season looking for my perfect system.
2000-2006: Climber with treestand harness
2006-2016: Climber with with RC harness
2017: Hangon, 3 sticks, RC harness. Enter the tinkering era.
2018-2019: Saddle platform, 3 sticks, saddle
2020-2021: Back to treestand (.5), 3 sticks, saddle
2022-current: .5, one-sticking, saddle
2023: Looks like it's my ground hunting era as I tore my knee up

My current setup is dialed, only real desire is to add back a climber to the mix someday.

I've climbed trees, since I could climb trees. For hunting purposes, it comes down to the least amount of hassles and/or the amount of gear required to climb. :) Climbing stands like my Summit Viper, usually gets my vote, but my Muddy climbing sticks and Mission platform are my go to for using my Cruzr tree saddle.

My most recent adventure has been using my Viper platform in conjunction with my tree saddle, then rappelling down. The combination of these 3 methods are my new "go to" for climbing trees, while hunting. It offers the least amount of gear, lowest weight and simplicity of climbing. :cool:

Back