• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Which do you shoot?

Seekbigger

SH Member
When bow hunting and you have does with yearlings, do you take the doe or the baby? I know the yearlings are definitely the best table fare, but less meat. Which kill is most beneficial? Just something on my mind this morning. God Bless to all!

I’ve shot both. I’ve never messed up and shot a button buck when killing a mature doe. The same can’t be said when shooting yearlings. It probably didn’t make any difference considering the deer population but I always hated shooting a button buck.

Either way your taking one out of the equation… maybe the mom is better left kept alive as she already knows how to survive and will produce again. I don’t really know. Whatever weighs less on your conscience!

By yearling I assume you mean fawn because many people get that screwed up. Not much meat on a fawn but they are darn tender if you have a lot of tags and/or a population problem.

A yearling is 1.5 years old. I won't shoot yearling bucks, but yearling does are 100% fair game.

I won't generally shoot an adult doe with fawns before the rut but I've made exceptions.

The answer is yes.

But it’s a feat where I’m from to kill them old old does. They are smart. I’ve got a pibald doe that’s close to 7 years old. We let her walk early on because of her coat, we’ve been trying to kill her the last two years. She got a sixth sense.

I always try to take the mature deer out of the group. Come gun season I'll shoot does or yearlings. Not one for shooting a fawn, the 20lbs of meat you get just isn't worth it for me. But to each their own, shoot whatever you want and makes you happy.

me personally and not judging anyone....if its one doe and her fawn (no spots)...they both get a pass from me. Multiple does in a group with a fawn, no problem taking one of the does....fawn (no spots) by itself, also not taking that shot.

Shoot the mature doe and try to call(doe bleat) the fawns back and shot the doe fawn. It is possible that I have some genetic kinship with @Nutterbuster :)

Cept for that period a few months back when he was havin cognitive impairments and thought he was supposed to be vegantarian.

@BTaylor - you sure he's not? I don't see any points on the board from him yet!

It's DEER SEASON!!! :) Not fawn season, doe season, button buck season or year and a half old buck/doe season. :rolleyes:

I'll always shoot the biggest buck or doe, to get the most out of the money spent on my tag. :cool:
* A doe with fawns will push them off, in another month, because she wants to be bred and if she doesn't the buck will kill them. The fawns are weened at this point and will fend for themselves and regroup with other deer in the herd.
* I've used antlerless tags for button bucks, because it's "free meat". Meaning, the loss to the herd means nothing for future breeding.

Bottom Line: Shoot what you want and be happy with your kill. 100% :cool:

Yea i think your callin fawns yearlings. I wont shoot a fawn. I have before when i was younger and it didnt make me feel good. also catch a mouthful from everyone else most times, not that i care but its annoying i wont lie. A yearling (1.5 yr old) is a good sized doe around me. At that point they are just another deer in the herd. No problems shooting that. I analyze things a little more now before taking a doe. Not sure what happened but i developed a soft spot last season for killin a mom and watching the fawn stand there and keep circlin back in. I keep an eye on the herd and at least wait for the fawn(s) to stop weaning or find a doe that for sure doesnt have a fawn for whatever reason. our pop. is out of control and we get unlimited doe tags (MD) so that also factors into your specific situation i suppose
call me crazy...I prefer a mature deer as far as taste goes, especially a buck. Age your meat for 7 days hanging it whole and its the perfect tenderness and taste. Still the same amount of work butchering/processing it, just way more meat.

It's DEER SEASON!!! :) Not fawn season, doe season, button buck season or year and a half old buck/doe season. :rolleyes:

I'll always shoot the biggest buck or doe, to get the most out of the money spent on my tag. :cool:
* A doe with fawns will push them off, in another month, because she wants to be bred and if she doesn't the buck will kill them. The fawns are weened at this point and will fend for themselves and regroup with other deer in the herd.
* I've used antlerless tags for button bucks, because it's "free meat". Meaning, the loss to the herd means nothing for future breeding.

Bottom Line: Shoot what you want and be happy with your kill. 100% :cool:
i wouldnt say "means nothing"... it takes 2 to tango.
I got what your saying though. another buck is gonna breed in its place.
I think poppin too many buttons will leave you with an unbalanced herd. thats what public looks like around us most of the time. Tons of does and a handful of spikes waitin to get slocked. i try to keep more bucks in my ratio if i can help it. Never know if that was the genetic powerhouse the herd needed to start pushin out booners. a deer farmer said 90% of antler genetics is passed down by the doe though, not sure if i believe that but its interesting to think about.

If you want/need to get a deer - shoot whichever is largest IMO. The amount of work/time/money to haul out, skin, or process the deer should pay off. I just don't see the return as good for a smaller animal. There is more to tender meat than just age. Listen to the 'Redcutter' MeatEater podcast episode.

I'm personally at a point where I don't shoot does with fawns let alone the fawns. I can and will get a solo deer no issue. But if I had slim pickings/few opportunities, a man's gotta eat. It is hunting after all...

I don't shoot fawns but aside from that, any legal deer that gives me a good shot (and I feel like fooling with) is going to get an arrow. Many have gotten a pass when I did not feel like fooling with them, lol.

Last edited:
Shoot the mature doe and try to call(doe bleat) the fawns back and shot the doe fawn. It is possible that I have some genetic kinship with @Nutterbuster :)

Cept for that period a few months back when he was havin cognitive impairments and thought he was supposed to be vegantarian.
You gots it backerds.

You shoot the fawn first. The doe won't leave it and if she does you can pull her back on a string with a fawn bleat.

Or so my buddy says.

I’ll be the devil here.

SC has a horrible buck-to-doe ratio and no “rut” to speak of in terms that most deer hunters not from the south are used to seeing. The result is does not getting bred their first estrus cycle. This late breeding results in lay births. These late births result in late first estrus cycles the next year for those late born does. Let a late born for fawn get skipped on her first cycle and it only gets worse. For this reason if I see a spotted fawn in October it’s getting shot.

At the same time, leaving the older does will have a greater impact on deer numbers. They tend to birth in the same, and best, areas available. They’re successful from their experience and tend to see their fawn’s survival through this experience. Will I shoot an older doe? Absolutely I will.

So now we have me shooting both older does and spotted fawns, doesn’t leave much does it? Well, it’s situational for me is what you need to take from this. And yes, this is crap I think about, lol.

Another factor in this is the number of deer I get to kill on SC. I think I get 7 doe tags and 3 or 4 buck tags and a bonus buck or two. I don’t know about the bucks because I rarely shoot one, not a trophy hunter in the true sense, but very picky.

So to break it down: spotted fawn in October or later? Better not get in range. Big doe? Depends on where I’m at and what the deer numbers are. Young doe? Gonna get shot.

You gots it backerds.

You shoot the fawn first. The doe won't leave it and if she does you can pull her back on a string with a fawn bleat.

Or so my buddy says.
I learned that tactic from watchin and listenin to a doe bleat her fawns back when they would get a little wide. I just duplicated what she taught me. Of course the little buck fawn got quite the education at an early age. That said I am willin to try your buddy's way too. Cant have too many tools in the box.

Back