• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Why Bolts over Screw ins?

N1ChBryant

Im very curious why so many choose to drill and use bolts over screw in steps like Cranfords ( so Easy to use). What are the pro's and is this primarily for hunting the same stands over and over or do some on here drill each hunt? Sorry for the ignorance but I see over and over folks choosing this method to climb.

Bolts /drill are way easier than lesser steps like ameristep grizzly. They're much cheaper and pack much more compact than Cranford. Might be easier too, but I haven't compared. They're also more stealthy from other hunters - take the bolts with and your tree is invisible. You can drill and hunt easily enough.

Been curious of this myself..has anyone done a video of a simulated hunt setup drilling a tree and using bolts?

I drill a new tree almost 100% of the time. It’s easier than screw ins and you can easily return to a drilled tree and hunt quickly just by sticking the bolts in as you go. Easy and quiet! I used carbon rods all season and shot my buck in a tree I had predrilled. Very easy system! Also they pack awesome. One of the big difference to me is climbing down, no unscrewing just slide them out!

I drill a new tree almost 100% of the time. It’s easier than screw ins and you can easily return to a drilled tree and hunt quickly just by sticking the bolts in as you go. Easy and quiet! I used carbon rods all season and shot my buck in a tree I had predrilled. Very easy system! Also they pack awesome. One of the big difference to me is climbing down, no unscrewing just slide them out!
Nailed it!

I wouldn’t think drilling would be easier that’s why I asked the pros. How deep you guys drill?

Drilling is TONS easier than screw in steps.
I keep my bit very sharp, and it eats through trees like a fat kid eats cake... especially now that I use the carbon bolts, it is by far my favorite method.

Also, I pull the bolts on the way down the tree, so I can have a completely set up tree that no one can see ready for me to arrive and climb. On a pre-drilled tree, I can be at hunting height in a minute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You guys are killing me. Where do I find the carbon bolts and which drill is best? I can’t afford to hang with you guys.

The longer you stay on this site the more you spend and the more you spend on saddle gear the more you feel compelled to be on this site it’s a vicious cycle!

The longer you stay on this site the more you spend and the more you spend on saddle gear the more you feel compelled to be on this site it’s a vicious cycle!

But just think - if the bolts and drill are perfect for you you can climb a lifetime of trees and have hundreds of trees prepped for like 80 bucks.....

There are so many great money-saving tricks on here...must invest in them all.

But just think - if the bolts and drill are perfect for you you can climb a lifetime of trees and have hundreds of trees prepped for like 80 bucks.....

There are so many great money-saving tricks on here...must invest in them all.

Honestly bolts is the last climbing method on this site I haven’t tried and I don’t really don’t know why I’m waiting it’s just a matter of time I cut my teeth bowhunting with a 5 gallon bucket of used cranfords and still love them for pre hung spots or to add a few more feet above my climbing sticks so bolts is a logical direction for me. At 225lbs I’m iffy about the carbon bolts though.

Where can I find these bolts and how are you guys going in blind and setting them up? What I mean, does a drill have to be used, wouldn't that be loud

Back