• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Why chop sticks?

ArcherAdam

Hey everyone! I keep seeing posts here and other sites about cutting down climbing sticks. I gotta ask---why is everyone doing this? Is it just weight savings? Can you still get as high before cutting down (I know there are aiders that can make up some lost length). Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I personally like a shorter stick with a 5 step aider. Currently running 3 beast sticks plus aider. Super light weight and pack-able. The pack-ability is the biggest thing for me. I tend to have to walk far and through thick brush and having sticks hanging off pack will ruin my day.

They cut them down to save weight and make them carry easier. Most guys are only cutting about ten inches off the stick. Using an aide you are only losing about half to two thirds of what you are cutting off. Basically with aiders your climbing height is limited by how high you can attach a stick.

Denots explained it very well on a post a year or two ago...

Basically you only loose the length beyond the distance of what you can reach(distance above your method of attachment), if you compliment your cut steps with an aider you’re gaining more than you take off.

I cut mine down to give myself the longest step I could get away with. This way I'm maximizing my step length to weight/bulk ratio. I see it as efficiency. I lost 24 inches total on 3 sticks. A single aider makes up for that with less bulk and weight.

I’m about to do the same with my Hawk helium’s. I have now idea what length to cut them nor what size aider I’ll need. My plan for now is to find a comfortable stepping height, measure it, and cut to comfortable stepping length. Then, throw on a tree as high as I can reach and attach appropriate step aider. Might go with a four or s five step aider. A lot of this will have to do with your height. For example, I’m 5’8” so I might get by with a five step aider as someone that’s 6’2” could get by with a 2 or 3 step aider. Same thing when finding out what length to cut them. I’m no expert. Just my presumed theory

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey everyone! I keep seeing posts here and other sites about cutting down climbing sticks. I gotta ask---why is everyone doing this? Is it just weight savings? Can you still get as high before cutting down (I know there are aiders that can make up some lost length). Thanks in advance.

I leave my stick uncut. The extra weight is no big deal and my lonewolf sticks pack great. I also use an Electric bike to get to my hunting spot so weight and packability are not an issue.

I am probably going to try this. I started saddle hunting with the muddy sticks that came our around 2010 or so. That and my neoprene tree saddle were what killed my 1st saddle hunting run. Simply too heavy! I never tried an aider but really like the idea. From reading this the bulk is what I would be looking to cut. The sticks maybe riding in the bed roll straps of my pack. 32" would be snagging on everything!

I’m about to do the same with my Hawk helium’s. I have now idea what length to cut them nor what size aider I’ll need. My plan for now is to find a comfortable stepping height, measure it, and cut to comfortable stepping length. Then, throw on a tree as high as I can reach and attach appropriate step aider. Might go with a four or s five step aider. A lot of this will have to do with your height. For example, I’m 5’8” so I might get by with a five step aider as someone that’s 6’2” could get by with a 2 or 3 step aider. Same thing when finding out what length to cut them. I’m no expert. Just my presumed theory

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm the same height as you. I cut my sticks to 23" with roughly 19.5 between steps. Set my first stick just above my head, top step is about 6.5 ft. I use a 2 step cayg aider with zero problems. 3 sticks gets me 20 ft

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Honestly, chopsticks are vastly inferior to the old fork and knife combo when it comes to getting sustenance into your face-hole.

Sorry...I'll show myself out. :)

Yeah but Mr Miyagi said that “man that can catch fly with chopstick can accomplish anything.”

.....hold that door open I’m on my way out as well. Lol

Back